What tire work's best for the KLR in the hills?

Started by ewommack, June 24, 2015, 01:06:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ewommack

Just wondering which tires the klr riders are having good luck with. Riding is hopefully going to be 50/50. My new to me 06 klr needs new tires and it's going to stay up there. Also who are you guys using up there to install and balance? Thanks in advance.

Dr Psyko

You're going to hear a lot about the kenda 270. I've had 3 sets through the KLR, and best 50/50 tire I know. Also cheap, and good for 4 to 5 thousand miles! There are other options such as the Hideneau which seem great, but can't vouch for them.
11th Commandment: Thou shalt not slide through life.

greatbuffalo

Yup. Just put a new one on yesterday. The one that came off went through the DAKAL, Last Spring rally, The GDR assault, lots of riding around my area, last Fall rally and this Spring Rally. About 5500 miles and less than a hundred bucks. Can't really beat it.
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

ewommack

Sounds like I have found my new tires thanks guys! Do you guys just spoon them on yourself or have someone do it for you?

Lonesome Dave

Okay this is my part of the question.  Many around here put them on themselves.  However, if you take the tire to Gage at MX Connection (W. Chicago St.) he'll do it for 10 bucks.  Or if you take the entire bike to him he'll do it for $15.  I also just put on a new K270 just before our rally.  Not one complaint from me the entire rally.  I would recommend getting the 5.10 tire size for your bike.  My bike is smaller and I got the 4.5.  By the way, I also just buy my tires from Gage.  He's as cheap as any online place.  I ordered on one day and left the tire/wheel and the next it was ready.  LD
Older - Wiser - Faster !

Hank

Speaking of Gage, we (the group I rode Camp5 with) met his dad in Deadwood Saturday morning.  That was a cool coincidence!

ewommack

I'm always up for supporting local businesses I'll go see him! Thanks for the heads up.

greatbuffalo

I buy from my local guy, take em home and put em on myself, just gives me a sense of satisfaction. that being said, each time I do it i learn new swear words. The 10 bucks is well spent. Dave is that balanced as well?

Dr Psyko

Cheapest tire mount I know around here is 25 bucks, and most shops don't like to deal with taking it off the bike...

11th Commandment: Thou shalt not slide through life.

ewommack

Talked to Gauge today I have the tires on the way. Really nice guy and very knowledgeable. He said the Kenda was an excellent choice for me. He will install the tires for 10 bucks per  if the rims are off the bike or 15 per if they are on. His prices seem to be reasonable. I'll give you a total tomorrow.

greatbuffalo

ewommack

Well my brake pads came in yesterday but evidently UPS dropped the ball on my tire so it will be in either today or tomorrow. Gauge pointed out that the brake pads were shot on the bike so I had him order me up a set for both ends. They were a little over 70 bucks but they were here the next day so no complaints here. Stuck them on yesterday and they made a huge improvement in the way the bike stopped. The rear pads were down to the metal :o I will update when the tires arrive.

ewommack

Well it was a little more than I had planned on spending but the tires are on. Total was $199.27 installed with a 12 dollar set of grips.

greatbuffalo

brabbit

Ewommack,
Any updates on the new set of shoes??