News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Add another KLR to the list

Started by brockmub, May 22, 2016, 11:11:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brockmub

With work on the TTR basically done and my brother laying claim to it, I had to focus my efforts on a bike for myself.  After looking at a lot of DRZs and other odd semi dual sport bikes, I came across a nice 2007 KLR 650. Only 4K miles and a bunch of little upgrades here and there. My wife thinks I'm going through a crisis. I told her that Sleddog says the only way I can use my ammo cans and milk crate was to get a KLR.  ;D

As I start getting this KLR prepped for the summer and the Hills, what should the focus be?  What are the trouble spots? How does one tell if the doohickey has been done-hicked?  Tires and fluids are all good, the clutch disengages a little different than my other bikes, not sure how to adjust that. It's going to be a great bike to get to the farm because the Bandit 1200 always made me nervous on gravel.

loingrader

Dont try to make it something it isnt.  Bone stock they are extremely capable from interstate to single track.  You can throw a lot of money at them but your return isnt great versus buying a more specialized bike to begin with.  Engine, suspension, lighting, etc can all benefit from upgrades, but you've still got a KLR at the end of the day.  My opinion is a skid plate to protect the engine case and water pump, bark busters to protect levers, and I really like the IMS tank to protect the radiator, give more fuel capacity and make the bike basically immune to dirt naps.  If you are spending most of your time at 55 mph or less I would gear it down a bit.  KLRs are amazing machines for the money.  In the early DDSR days there were a lot of them being ridden and they are still a great dual sport bike.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

brockmub

Totally agreed

As if you've never seen a KLR before, here's a pic of the garage as it sits.

Lonesome Dave

Hey brock, your pic didn't work.

I would only add the rear shock needs help with a load.  GB can comment on this better than I, he's much happier with a new shock.
Older - Wiser - Faster !

greatbuffalo

Yup, a rear shock and progressive springs up front
Remember that those ammo cans are heavy. Other than that I agree with everything loingrader said. I have the stock gearing and have not had too much issue on the trail and when it comes to asphalt speeds your wringing out the motor

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

greatbuffalo

My rear shock is also a progressive with the RAP. The best mod I've made

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

brockmub

Fixed the link for the pic.

I've heard the Progressives are the best but also expensive.  I'd hate to have to sell the TTR just to cover the suspension for the KLR.  "Sorry bro, sold your bike (nearly paid the same) so I can ride better and my tush is happy.  Here's a mountain bike you can ride."  Plus I'm a total beginner and trying to learn about all of the things I need before thinking I need it all.  Hopefully avoiding the more money than brains category.

I was totally joking about putting the ammo cans on.  Found a pair of Tusks on RM that look way nicer for pretty cheap, if I feel like I need to do some overnight stuff.

More curious about some of the maintenance must do, adjustments to make, and general setups.  I don't know much/any about setting up my current suspension on any of the bikes.

Dr Psyko

I can't kill mine. Seriously though, it will be for sale eventually, just riding the DRZ now.
11th Commandment: Thou shalt not slide through life.

Hank

Dr P how many miles did you put on the 06?   You sure got a good deal on that bike ;)

Sent from my TRS-80

Dr Psyko

Absolutely did! I haven't riden it this year yet, but if memory serves I think in the low 20's. Still runing great. It has alot of little mods, but I agree with other posts, these KLR's will do alot, and I still think may be the best 50/50 bike out there. Cheap, durable, ton's of aftermarket stuff, relativily light, simple to maintain. I've done stiffer front spings, ramped up the rear shock, bash plate, radiator guards, hand guards, opened the air box, carb, exhaust, brake pads for more bite, and 3 sets of tires. Can ride the slab all day, and still have a fighting chance of keeping up with the trail bikes on singletrack. I remember my brother barrel rolling his in the hills, riding it home to Minnesota, and having his insurance agent total it. try that with a GS.
11th Commandment: Thou shalt not slide through life.

loingrader

Try that with any bike.  Its tough to kill a klr as long as there is a little oil in the engine.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro