News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Memorial Weekend Trans Dakota Ride is a 100% Success

Started by Harry Potter, May 30, 2016, 04:07:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry Potter

Memorial Weekend Trans Dakota Ride is a 100% Success

"The best modification you can make to your bike is a better rider," Jimmy Lewis.

sleddog

Thanks HarPot.......

You got it.....! The very reason I Love riding the TSDAT.....the people I meet....priceless!

Thanks for writing about it.....

kmuhlenbeck

Nice riding with you Tim. Did you find out what fender your son on his Strom?
2011 DL650A

Bogus Jim

Speaking of the me generation, did anyone get a selfie with the Bison?   ;D

WREA mag just did an article on Scenic and interviewed one of the older residents, I wonder if it was the same lady you talked to at the gas station?

Harry Potter

It's a Touratech fender and it is still in their catalog with a bunch of other VSTROM goodies.
"The best modification you can make to your bike is a better rider," Jimmy Lewis.

Bogus Jim

Quote from: Bogus Jim on May 31, 2016, 11:44:50 AM
WREA mag just did an article on Scenic and interviewed one of the older residents

Found the article, her name is Bernita Bloom. Lives on a ranch east of Scenic, been there all her 90 years.

Dr Psyko

Thanks Harry, nicely done. I'm still not quite sure about the hobbit thing tho...
11th Commandment: Thou shalt not slide through life.

greatbuffalo

The Hobbit thing got me lost as well.

Also, had I had a bike half the weight of the one I was riding I may have held on to my card, but after seeing the fate of the other big bike in the group, I'm glad I handed mine in. You see I have nothing to prove to myself or anyone else. I have no inner Hobbit to discover because I found him or her or it or they a long time ago. I've climbed 2000 foot rocks, skied the headway of Tuckerman Ravine, I've paddled the length on the Connecticut River, and I've ridden inside a plastic barrel the length of Angle Street.

All these things and many more have left me with a body that can only take so much more abuse. Is this the reason I should find another sport? I think not.

This whole life is a journey we all travel in different ways and at different speeds and at different times. Mine started at age 3 and still hasn't stopped. I just manage my risk a bit differently now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

Harry Potter

Loads of Thanks Jim that has got to be her. She said she lived east of Scenic.  Under her name I found a 2011 article that said she used to teach at a public school in Scenic. Do you have a link or anything to that WREA magazine article? When I googled WREA I came up with Wyoming Rural Electric Association. Thanks

Sleddog:  Sorry I didn't mention the trail itself. I haven't sat down to properly learn how to use a Garmin.
My son said he loaded the track but the only thing I could get the Garmin to do was take me home. I didn't study the map because I knew everybody else had. Instead I spent hours looking for my prescription back brace that I never did find and today and I am having hard time standing straight. One of the things the TSDAT did was make me really regret trading off the BETA 450. I kept thinking how much fun the TSDAT would be if I added a wind screen to the Beta and road with the bare minimum of luggage. It would be like our own Taste of Dakar. If Rosco doesn't sell my old Beta pretty soon I just might get her back and solo ride the TSDAT like the Taste of Dakar.

"The People I Meet...Priceless!"   That's it in five words. There was a young girl in the Yukon holding the stop-go sign on a road construction project that I had a long conversation with- that I'll never forget (my wife was on the 1150Gs with me.) There is the native Canadian that I sat with for about an hour at a Teslin, Yukon gas station. He explained just how he survived living there. 'You can trade a 25-pound lake trout for two cartons of cigarettes." "We stock up on fish because it can be 35 below for weeks up here in the winter."  Have you seen this video   www.vimeo.com/76342730  It's about the people.

Dr Psyko:  Bingo you win. If you have read the Hobbit you would know that Hobbits hate adventure, they want their lives to be plain, simple and perhaps a very drunk. When Bilbo finishes his first adventure he now lusts for more. Because of the physique of a Hobbit the thirst for adventure is not a testosterone thing, it's an enlightenment thing. Over the last 45 years I would say every canoeist I have met that does multiple day trips said it all started with the Hobbit. Well there was one Beemer rider in Canada that said it all started with 70s progressive rock and I said like "Olias of Sunhillow" and he just about fell over. I could have said like your inner Jack London but his stuff hasn't been on the silver screen for half a century. The Hobbit is a name that should be known by everybody.

sleddog

Quote from: Harry Potter on May 31, 2016, 11:04:26 PM"The People I Meet...Priceless!"   That's it in five words. There was a young girl in the Yukon holding the stop-go sign on a road construction project that I had a long conversation with- that I'll never forget (my wife was on the 1150Gs with me.) There is the native Canadian that I sat with for about an hour at a Teslin, Yukon gas station. He explained just how he survived living there. 'You can trade a 25-pound lake trout for two cartons of cigarettes." "We stock up on fish because it can be 35 below for weeks up here in the winter."  Have you seen this video   www.vimeo.com/76342730  It's about the people.

Funny! As I was reading what you wrote in the above quote, I thought "I've got to post a link to Ashes Before Dust, he'll like watching that" Isn't that a great 1 hour clip?? Real people telling it like it is.....

This is Phillip O'Conner. He is the lone resident, along with a few prairie dogs  in Capa, SD. Talk to him, he's got interesting stories that'll make you feel good that you took the time to listen.

Bogus Jim

Quote from: Harry Potter on May 31, 2016, 11:04:26 PM
Do you have a link or anything to that WREA magazine article? When I googled WREA I came up with Wyoming Rural Electric Association. Thanks

Close, West River Electric. I don't think the magazine is online, I'll see if I can scan the article to a PDF tonight.

Fletch

stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

Harry Potter

Thanks guys :)  That's her and that was a really good article.

MoreIsLess

Perhaps I should have kept my man card comment to myself. Mitch thanks its karma that my clutch got burned up. I think hes right!  :)
2008 Buell XB12X

Harry Potter

Sleddog:   I met a guy in Belvidere, very much like Philip, while riding the Beemer and we talked along time. Then several years later I saw him at the east Kadoka truck stop and  we talked again for a long time. Something about being on a bike opens up so many more friendships.