News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

GPS for Bonnie

Started by sandhillrider, June 02, 2016, 09:58:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandhillrider

Bonnie wants her own gps,  thinks LDave is going to leave her lost in the hills. I have a Montana 650 so I want something that works with basecamp so I can load maps. Have looked at a Montana or a zomo and we could trade back and forth.
Any ideas on models or used ones around?

Lonesome Dave

ADVrider has them on there in the Flea Market.

GPS city just had a sale on the Montana 680.
Older - Wiser - Faster !

Hank

Shopping for a Garmin is painful in my opinion; oodles of models that all overlap by about 90%.  If they cut their model line up by about 70% it would make more sense. 

Not a very helpful comment I guess :)  Just a pet peeve of mine.

sandhillrider

Was hoping someone had a cheaper answer that I couldn't find.
I had come to about the same conclusion Hank. Not much savings to be had
by dropping down to cheaper models as you lose the features I think she should have.
This is turning into a give her mine a get myself a new one.🙂
Makes it easier to help her if she has what most of us use.

Fletch

if she is just worried about getting lost, or just wants to se where she is and doesn't plan on doing routing with it I would just use a phone. Download Avenza PDF maps app and then download the MVUM maps. That is all I use and they work pretty well.
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

Robmicgrn

the Avenza app and PDF maps. Way easier than anything else I am using in the hills. Running both,  but for just getting around on the trails, Avenza. I am using an iphone 6 plus, and I don't have to dig out my readers to use it. Big plus there. BH MVUM are free. not sure about other riding places.
"You don't know how fast you can go till you crash"

Fletch

it's pretty accurate too. I've been "off trail" a few times and it was probably within 50' for my position in relation to where I was supposed to be.
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

sandhillrider

Good ideas. I didn't think of that, I have the PDF maps on my phone I will show them to her.
She has android phone will have to look at that app for it. I have iphone so don't know much about their apps.
That might be all she wants.

Hank

I have it on my droid and it works great for the BH. 

greatbuffalo

I have athe avenza downloads and well as a couple other android programs on my phone and tablet. I like the OSMAND program. Its based on open street maps. Gpx files can be imported into most of the android products.

I agree with the plethora of units by garmin and most are way over priced.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

loingrader

Plus you can get a cheap mini tablet running android and not have to worry about damaging an expensive phone.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

woodsrider 53 RCSD

A nuvi car gps will give you trails for about a 100 bucks but you you need to plug it in my brother has this with his razor big screen cheap.

Wacked

Avenza with someone's old/used stuck in the drawer Iphone5 ..... $0-75

Or

Avenza with an IPad Mini.  If the Mini is not G3 compatible, bluetooth the Mini with a Bad Elf gps .......  $150-300

The IPhone or IPad will let you throw on several different gps programs which will all have their different strengths

Wacked

brockmub

I traded a friend some little-no value computer parts he needed for an iPhone 5, found a rugged case, then loaded MotionX-GPS. It tucks right behind my screen and to the left of my tach.

Pros:
- can download the maps to it
- can load music to it
- can Bluetooth to my helmet
- take pictures with it and auto upload to albums
- all my camping gear/bike/car manuals are downloaded to .pdf and loaded into iBooks
- can get my email or text if needed when I stop so I don't have do dig out my nice phone
- load custom routes easy and track routes easy
- easy to take off my Ram mount and put away when I leave my bike
- can send tracks directly to friends or family through an email/txt when finished with a ride

Cons:
- doesn't work with gloves unless the gloves have the conductive coating
- screen is a little small
- Motion X is not intuitive at first because it has a lot of features

sandhillrider

Thanks for all the input. Some ideas I hadn't thought of.
For now I put my old map76s on her bike and putting the PDFs maps on her phone.
Will see what she likes and go from there.