News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Fall Rally

Started by greatbuffalo, June 20, 2016, 10:10:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greatbuffalo

After a great Spring Rally our thoughts need to now focus on the Fall Rally. There was some discussion in our group yesterday about it. Some phone calls were made others were talked to in an effort to find some options. Here is a synopsis of our findings.

Initial discussion shows the weekend of Sept 15th thru the 18th may be the best weekend for this.

Our ride brought us out to Trailshead Lodge. It is under new ownership and they are quickly making improvements to the property. They have 8 (?) cabins, light electrical rv power with no water or sewer. 6 I think. They have a wide open field across the street for tents with pit toilets. They are in the progress of or are planning to build a shower house. Food is offered on site.

The thought is that in the future when they make some more improvements this will be a good option but the concern is that things won't be ready in time.

We discussed Mountain Meadows and they were called. They have very limited cabins available, only 1 or 2 now. The other concern with the Deerfield area is the weather. This is always a crap shoot. There was 4 inches of snow and 20 degrees 2 years ago. Don't remember what they charge but I remember a couple of complaints. (?)

Trails are right out the gate wich makes this a great option. They offer food on site wich is importent to some.

The third part of the discussion centered around an offer from Fish N Fry to stay open to accommodate a fall rally. They offered to keep the South section open along with the cabins with no utilities, the guest house, the RV site in that south section. Food will be available as well but may be slightly limited. As we usually only do breakfast that won't be a an issue.

If they remain open that extra week for they will also keep things open for others, so we need to make some decisions soon. I told Gary and Michelle that we would get back to them in about 2 week with an answer.

I'm sure Dave will weigh in here as to things I missed.  Also, anyone else that has an alternative option to these, please put in your two cents, comments, complaints, concerns, criticisms, etc. We listen to them all.

So what do you  think? 

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

Hank

How did it work when we stayed at Nemo one fall?   I didn't make it to that rally.      I think there is a lot of good riding there though.

I'm going to keep my input limited as I'm not sure if I'll make the fall rally this year, but that said, I'm good with whatever if I do make it!

sandhillrider

Those dates work for us and either place is fine. At this point Fish and Fry may be only choice it's priced right and close to trails. We also start out with everything available.
I think the thing I took away from our discussion is there seems to be more activity in the hills
And we may need to start booking the fall rally before the spring one happens. Makes it hard to plan
that far out but we may need to so cabins and camper spots are available for those who need them.
I really liked the trails head area but is a long way from the single track for those guys.

Wizard

I am good with either...give me a place and tine and I am there!

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

Lonesome Dave

The weekend above is the only one I can make, unless its later in the month.

I kind of like the idea of Nemo Guest Ranch.  It's cozy and we haven't been there for a while.  Lots of trails nearby.  But we need to check on rates and availability. 
Also, is the restaurant open. 

On the other hand, if its Fish & Fry we still have lots of trails that need ridden.  From F&F we can head towards trails head area a little easier.  But the elk hunters won't be happy.

I'm not sure I really care either way.
Older - Wiser - Faster !

greatbuffalo

Dave could you check on availabilty at Nemo for that weekend?

greatbuffalo

Would kinda like to get this nailed down so I can give FnF an answer either way, sometime next week before I leave for the COBDR 

Robmicgrn

Nemo is a great area for a base camp. That being said, you can be in Nemo from the FnF in about 30 min in the dirt. I always sign up for the Fall rally, but never seem to really make it so my opinion shouldn't weigh in much. I will sign up again, and have every intention of going again as well.

Does the Fall Rally even need to be in the Black Hills?  :-\ It is the "Dakota" dual sport riders not the "Black Hills" dual sport riders after all............ I agree that the hills are awesome, but there has to be other places that can keep the group busy for a few days............ Just a thought, don't beat me up too bad.
"You don't know how fast you can go till you crash"

tannerc

Quote from: Robmicgrn on June 29, 2016, 11:56:46 AM
other places that can keep the group busy for a few days............ Just a thought, don't beat me up too bad.

within how many miles......?

I dont know if I will make it but, Nemo has a better central access to all trails.
"Retreat, hell! We're not retreating, we're just advancing in a different direction."

loingrader

Malcolm Smith was at the last DDSR fall rally I made it to at Nemo guest ranch.  Chatting with him made up for the cold, the rain, and the smelly bathrooms.  The trail access there is very good tho, as is Fnf.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

greatbuffalo

Well im quickly realizing that I don't have alot of time to spend on this event right. I am being slammed at work this weekend and will be focused on my Colorado BDR trip starting on Monday. So after making just a couple phone calls and talking to Dave, I think it would just as easy to hold it at FnF. Its a known thing, they treat us very well and they are the least expensive option and best access to get there and prety good trail access as well.  We found out 2 weeks ago that there are plenty of trails to be found that many of us have never ridden.

I am fine with someone else making the plans for another site if they have the time but if that is the case FnF needs to know soon.

So, if someone wants to take the reigns for another venue let me know and I will contact FnF on Monday or Tuesday to let them know. If not, I will call them and tell them to plan on having us.

To be clear, I have no preferance either way and love a change of scenery but it gets more and more difficult to find late accommodations due to more people coming late in the season and  many places closing the week before.

Also, remember,  if we tell FnF that we will stay there, they will give us a bit of time to make reservations and then they will open it up to others, so early action will be needed if you want a cabin.

Please chime in with your 2 pence

loingrader

Fnf sounds great

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

sandhillrider

FnF works great. Thanks for you work on this GB let us know when we can call for reservations.
Enjoy your trip!

woodsrider 53 RCSD

Hank

FnF works great for me too, if I make it.    I'll try to keep the sign up page and everything current, and will help organize how I can.  My work schedule is nuts through early Sept too though.