News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Big Horn Mountains

Started by Lonesome Dave, July 06, 2016, 10:58:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lonesome Dave

This past weekend we camped with family in the Big Horns.  Usually we camp in the Burgess Junction area, but this year we camped in the southern half near Meadowlark Lake.  I took the Beta and rode along with ATVs.  Usually up front, then in the back, then back up front.  You get the idea, I put on more miles than they did on the same ride. 

It's been many years since I camped in this area, forty years in fact, yes I said forty. Back then Elisa and I camped there with another couple.  Both women were 7 months pregnant.  We had a great idea to drive up to East Tensleep Lake, haul a canoe on the topper and go fishing.  The women rode in the back and rolled around on a mattress inside the topper.  This was a rock crawling & fishing adventure, with my buddy directing me out front of the truck most of the time.  Once there, we drug the canoe up the rocks and put in.  God, I had so much energy back then!! Anyway we caught a bunch of Cut-throat trout.  As I said, the trail was very rough and the women refused to ride in the truck again and walked the 3 or so miles back down.   

Well I wanted to go back there..  So off we went, 4 ATVs and me.  The trail is now very different, like a totally different one.  It wasn't too bad at first and then it changed.  OMG  When things changed was at the creek crossing.  I'd been through many crossings this weekend, but not like this.  I didn't stop, I didn't want to think about it, I just dove in.  It was deep and I could see boulders in the bottom I was trying to dodge.  I looked towards the bank ahead and saw nothing but more boulders with slippery mud amongst them.  Just keep going.  I then saw a razor parked off to the side waiting for me to cross.  I made it out and the guy gave me a thumbs up and yelled "good job".  Thanks!  I kept going.  Short story, I had a bail-off, but kept the bike up.  Had to walk it about 15' and started again.  Had to paddle once to keep things going, it wasn't pretty, but successful.  There was a couple more times on hill climbs I was panting hard trying to catch my breath.  I met 4 forest service guys coming down a rocky hill section on ATVs.  They saw me coming towards them and pulled off to the side.  It was a good point to stop, so there I am panting and saying thanks for moving over.  They just laughed and said "you looked pretty busy."  Yes they checked my sticker.

So whats the point?  Nothing really, except I drove back up there the next day on an ATV with Elisa.  Once again, she walked in a couple of places!  I guess I'm saying it was a real confidence builder after making it and seeing it again the next day.  I would have never tried it last year or probably would have turned around somewhere.  So, the last time I was there I was twenty, and now forty years later I'm 60!  Now my goal is to go back up there at 70.  But the next time I'm bringing my fishing pole.  Here's a couple of pics of East Tensleep Lake at about 9700 feet.

Bonnie, I almost picked up a rock for you, but figured you would want to do it yourself.

Sorry no bike or food pictures!

Older - Wiser - Faster !

loingrader

Jeez that is beautiful.  Great story Dave.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

Hank

Agreed on both counts!  Very pretty country.

Fletch

Thanks Dave!!

Bomber mountain has always been on my to do list, ever been there?
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

Lonesome Dave

It sounds familiar, I'll have to google it.  Does that have a legal trail to it.  If so, I think I may have found it over by West Tensleep lake.
I didn't go there, but I was forming a loop ride very near it.  Just didn't have time.  You know how informative mvum maps are.  There all the same.  Trails with no information on them.
Older - Wiser - Faster !

Wizard

Cloud Peak and Bomber Mountain are on my short list for things that need done! Maybe we need a BigHorns Trip?

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

sleddog

Quote from: Fletch on July 07, 2016, 03:52:32 PM
Thanks Dave!!

Bomber mountain has always been on my to do list, ever been there?

It's in the wilderness area, foot travel only! 2 or 4 legged!

KLC63

You used to be able to ride from Story to Cloud Peak lake @ the base of the Summit. Not sure if it is still open, but I imagine it would be.
THE OLDER I GET, THE FASTER I WAS.

sleddog

Quote from: Fast 7 on July 08, 2016, 07:53:12 AM
You used to be able to ride from Story to Cloud Peak lake @ the base of the Summit. Not sure if it is still open, but I imagine it would be.

Yes, you can ride to Cloud Peak Res. You are still 4-5 miles from the summit or Bomber Mt which are in the Wilderness Area.

KLC63

I know that, but it is a nice ride and close.r
THE OLDER I GET, THE FASTER I WAS.

Fletch

A plan is forming in my little brain. 
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

Ridindirty

Haven't bee to cloud peak for a few years, but there were some great camp sites up there. Kind of a first come first serve. Pack a fishing pole, the trout are active,and fun to catch. I need to go back one of these years.
Mike Grosz

Wizard

Quote from: Fletch on July 09, 2016, 09:33:50 AM
A plan is forming in my little brain.
I like the way your thinking...lets keep the wheels turning! 

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

mitchn06

2014.5 Kawasaki KLR650 New Edition

Robmicgrn

Big horns added to the list of things to go and see and do........
"You don't know how fast you can go till you crash"