News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

2003 bmw f650gs -not running-

Started by numb41, September 16, 2016, 09:07:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

numb41

i think this bike merits a chance at life as someone's  winter project so i will offer it up for sale.  18k miles on the odo. put new tires on it last year and 300 miles ago.  new fork seals, air filter, chain and sprockets (stock setting) as well. .  6 yrs ago, i took the head off and checked the valve clearance.  this thing has shims and it was fairly easy to check. i thought that one of the exhaust valves was running tight, so i replaced it.  The engine has had a tick in it since.  Drove me mo fo nuts.  have taken it apart 5 times or so over the years, and everything checked out-insert shoulder shrug-so anyway. two months ago. the tick suddenly turned into a klack and then it didn't run anymore.  asking 2k. seven three o , thirteen twenty two. look on craigslist south dakota for pic. thanks, foster

numb41

...crickets.       Ok. How about this, how much do you think it would cost -wild assed guesses allowed- to re build this engine.  I would also consider ratting it out...any thoughts on how I should that?

greatbuffalo

Hard saying until you break the thing open. I would venture to guess $1500 to $2000 start in arts only. piston and cylinder alone are a grand and that is through Bike Bandit

Looks like most all parts need to come right from BMW. That's gonna hurt!
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

loingrader

You could give BJ Weins, at Weins sales connection a call.  He is in Platte.  He is close and a stand up guy that can fix anything on 2 wheels.  He might still be out of town but would be back next week i bet Foster.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

numb41

Hey Bret, yea I stopped down there a couple of weeks ago. I didn't talk to him about the bike, just asked him how busy he was, and he said 'booked'.  So I left it at that. I took one look at his shop and could see he is the real deal.  There's a guy I just thought of from Pierre......Steve skipper?  Schipper?? His shop is right next to the great escape in Pierre. I'll see if I can track him down.

loingrader

If Pierre doesnt work out and if you werent in a hurry just leave the bike with BJ and he will get to it.  He obviously slows down a lot over the winter.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro