Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Moab April 29 - May 5

Started by Hank, January 12, 2017, 07:28:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hank

List updated.. approaching full! 

Lonesome Dave

I'm a newbie at this Moab thing, so I have question for you seasoned boys.  I need to know your thoughts about amount of fuel for the daily rides.  The new princess has a 2.1 gal tank, is that big enough.  I've thought about getting a bigger tank, 3.0 gal, and it would also be nice for the hills sometimes, but.......
Older - Wiser - Faster !

greatbuffalo

We'll just leave you out there to rot Dave. Your gonna need at least 5 gallons to make it back. Sucks to be you.  :evil :evil :evil

Actually I have no flipping clue.
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

Robmicgrn

I think the longest ride we did last year was maybe 100 miles. The 2-strokers had issues but nobody else really did. the long day we slabbed about 40 miles, rode around for maybe 20 and slabbed back. the two strokers trailered out to that site. Everything there is fairly close. There are some longer rides (White Rim) that are over 200 miles, but none of us last year were set up for that. My 530 is good for 120-150 and I dont think I ever went below half a tank on most days That being said, I have been pondering on bringing a bigger bike capable of that kind of a loop. A slower easy site seeing type day (white rim) might be a nice break between "Metal Masher and Poison Spider"  :evil
"You don't know how fast you can go till you crash"

Lonesome Dave

Quote from: Robmicgrn on March 16, 2017, 04:31:25 PM
"Metal Masher and Poison Spider"  :evil

I don't think I like those names.  I'm more interested in "plastic bender" or maybe a harder one like, "plastic scratcher."

Or how about "Starbucks from hell!"  You know what I mean, coffee shop on a gravel road.
Older - Wiser - Faster !

locopny

Quote from: Lonesome Dave on March 16, 2017, 05:12:41 PM
Quote from: Robmicgrn on March 16, 2017, 04:31:25 PM
"Metal Masher and Poison Spider"  :evil

I don't think I like those names.  I'm more interested in "plastic bender" or maybe a harder one like, "plastic scratcher."

Or how about "Starbucks from hell!"  You know what I mean, coffee shop on a gravel road.

Oh my....that is funny. ;D
87 XL600R 89 CBR600R
'17 CRF1000L
When can I go riding again? Crashing sucks!

Hank

There is one called "coffee grinder" for you Dave.

Sent from my Commodore Pet

Robmicgrn

What bike/bikes is everyone bringing????

i am bringing my 530 xc-w and maybe the 1190 or 690 ( I really want to do the white rim loop).

Hank

I'm bringing my 400xcw and the xtrainer.   I'd bring my 1190 too if I had room :)

Sent from my Commodore Pet

greatbuffalo

I am bringing my KLX and KLR. I am planing on spending a day doing the White Rim Loop.
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

dufferv65

Bringing the xr650r and up for pretty much anything.

Hank

How long is the white rim trail?   I'm seeing 100 miles which I should be able to do on my 400.  I could pack an extra gallon too.

Lonesome Dave

Hank, that's what I was thinking also.
Older - Wiser - Faster !

Robmicgrn

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/how-much-fuel-needed-for-white-rim-trail.865390/

150 miles door to door from Moab. I think there is also off-shoots you can do, making it longer or shorter as well. I did in my truck nearly 25 yrs ago and the Scenery is awesome.

That being said, my 530 can do it with a little extra gas brought along, just in case.

KLC63

THE OLDER I GET, THE FASTER I WAS.