News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Tentative Fall Ride.

Started by greatbuffalo, February 08, 2017, 09:20:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greatbuffalo

I am in the very early stages of planning a Fall ride. This ride will be intended to be big bike friendly. That is not to say that smaller bikes would be turned away or left behind.

Where am I thinking?

Colorado - some of the better places we visited on last years COBDR. And some asphalt twisties. Will try to keep the real technical stuff to a minimum but I'm sure there will be some moderate stuff.

Utah - Some of the big bike friendly roads of Moab, portions of the UBDR. Hit a few of the National parks; Bryce, Zion, Arches, Canyonlands, Capital reef, and many more places to see and do. Maybe take some time to do a short hike or two and relax at a swimming hole for a while.

Idaho - for a short time and find back roads into Yellowstone.

Wyoming - Yellowstone. and make our way back to SD what ever way we want.

South Dakota - If my dates are gonna line up right that will put up in the Hills the weekend of the Fall Rally.

So here are the Dates I am working with: My last day of work will be August 28th. I will be ready to head out of town on August 31st. I am figuring the Fall Rally will start on Sept 14th.

I know this is very early and very vague. Just want to put it out there to judge some interest and get some other ideas. As always if someone else has a better idea or something more interesting, I am all ears.

Let me know what you all think think. I will put off serious planning for a while until I get some feedback. Not looking for any commitment, just ideas and input. Cause either way I am going to do this with or with you.  :P
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

Abercrombie

Sounds like a great ride that I would kill to take the Tenere on but right now I have plans of riding the DakAL from September 10th - 15th.  If the Fall ride is any where Hill City that weekend I will probably have to ride over and crash Fall Rally's last night.  I will also be retiring about the end of August and am looking forward to a great ride to start off retirement.

sandhillrider

Finally ride dates that work for a poor rancher!! Thank you GB I am in, the Tenere and I will be ready.
All those areas sound great to me so plan away.

Fletch

sounds interesting.. I will try to make it (or at least part of it).. I really want to spend some time in the bighorns this summer too.
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

Hank

That sounds really fun.    Won't happen for me this year, so I'll just be jealous and watch for details.

Bogus Jim

I probably can't take vacation this year until August so this trip might work for me.

I know at least one backroad into west side of Yellowstone, there might be others. For the pavement routes, I've been pretty happy with the Butler maps. Saves a little guesswork. Also that "motorcycling Colorado" book is pretty good.

The other trip I'm sorta considering is Idaho BDR.

NDirt Rider

I may be interested in this if I can get the time off if you don't mind a african twin with those tenere's on the trip

Bogus Jim

Quote from: NDirt Rider on March 16, 2017, 08:04:50 PM
if you don't mind a african twin with those tenere's on the trip

I like riding behind the Tenere's, if you hear a big crash from their skid plate then you know to slow down and take a different line.

greatbuffalo

HAahahahahaa

That did happen a few times, didn't it?

Thank god for Rumbux

We'd love to have a AT on the ride.

Lonesome Dave

Quote from: greatbuffalo on March 17, 2017, 01:47:00 PM
We'd love to have a AT on the ride.

NDirt, I'd be careful....they're all going to want to ride it!
Older - Wiser - Faster !

greatbuffalo

Of course. And I'm sure he'll be lusting to ride my sexy S10

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

greatbuffalo

You know how a DDSR event goes. It winds up in a bike key swingers party.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

NDirt Rider

Well I have time off from the 31st until the 17th and the AT is getting closer to being ready every day.  What are your plans for tires like a 50 50 tire or What? I am thinking of getting Mitas Dakar E07 rear and TKC 80 front unless you guys are thinking more of a road tire

sandhillrider

I am putting the Mitas Dakar E07 on the Tenere rear also. But can't decide on the front have both the E07 and a TKC80 sitting here, good and bad about both. By fall I may have tried both.

NDirt Rider

I haven't bought mine yet I am going to burn off the stick tire I am going to Manhattan kansas to see my daughter in a month and then to an African Twin rally in Iowa so I won't put on the new ones until after that at least if I don't wait until before we go on this adventure.