News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

How are the Black Hills right now?

Started by T.Bane, March 07, 2017, 02:31:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T.Bane

Too much snow?  Thinking about maybe coming down in the next few weeks, assuming the weather cooperates.  What do you local guys think...am I rushing the season?

Lonesome Dave

Kind of a hard question.  If you get here 3 weeks from now, probably would not be too bad.  If you ride out in the southwestern area of the Black Hills (Jasper Burn area) it shouldn't be too bad in a week or two.  If your thinking single track, I'd say you're a little early.  If you're thinking northern hills, give it up.  It just really depends on what the weather does over the next few weeks.  It also depends on you.  If you don't mind hitting icy and snowy areas in shady spots, you might still be happy.  Then again if its really wet and muddy, the forest service does NOT appreciate the erosion.  Especially from ATVs/UTVs.

One more thing to keep in mind.

Disclaimer; Officially the trails don't open until May 15th.  Some trails are open year round, but a lot of them aren't.  The official reason they use for closing is animal winter habitat.  Generally you will find the closer you are to housing developments, populated areas, or busy gravel roads, the trail signs will say closed between Dec 15 to May 15th.  At least that's a pattern I've seen, and I'm not so sure it's related to winter habitat.  The further west you go into the hills the less you'll find trail closing restrictions.  But, generally the further west you go the more snow you will encounter at this time of year.     

I live up Nemo road a few miles.  There's a place I can see when I come to town that's always shaded and therefore last to melt.  I always figure when that pile of snow disappears in this shady area the trails should be close to ready.  Today, there's still snow in that area.

This is my point of view and does not necessarily reflect the views of DDSR.  If you want to pm me your phone number we can talk as the time gets closer.  Hope that helps!   
Older - Wiser - Faster !

Fletch

What he said, and not to be a dick but people riding this time of year really has a good potential to screw it Up for everyone.  So, if you come out please stick to "legal" trails and don't tear anything up.
Thanks

Mike
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

T.Bane

Thank you gentlemen.  Given the trail regulations and the weather report, will probably stay away for a while.  Take care.

Abercrombie

T.Bane you must be reading my mind.  I am scheduled to ride the Black Hills in June and September with two different groups but I want to cheat and get out there once before if I am able.

Fletch

it's very tempting, but if you do it please do it legally and stay away from water/mud.  I enjoy riding as much as the next guy be we really are at risk of losing some of our trails and damage/illegal activity just adds fuel to the wrong side of the discussion.
thanks to everyone for being responsible.
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

Hank

For sure!   Having access shut down sucks!

Two (?) years ago on the trails up behind the steel wheel, I witnessed two absolute morons on UTVS just tearing the shit out of a small meadow.  It was extremely wet and it had been turned into what looked like a supercross track after a race in the rain.     Wow I was pissed!

greatbuffalo

That is one reason why things have gotten so strict at Railroad Buttes as well, idiots that can't stay away from the place when it is wet.
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?