News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Another NEW Rider

Started by Lonesome Dave, March 26, 2017, 12:50:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lonesome Dave

One of my grand kids, Drake, has suddenly discovered motorcycles.  Last year I bought a CRF70 to help out a friend.  I intended on selling it.  The grand kids rode it a bit last year, but Drake suddenly likes riding it a lot this year.  He's actually really good at it.  He's dumped it a couple of times so far, picks it up and off he goes, sound familiar?  So far we've gone on a couple of trail rides.  Last week we headed off behind my house.  When we got to a rocky hill climb, basically the entire mountain side, we stopped.  He was reluctant to go up with all the rocks he saw a head of him.  So we turned around, went some place else.  Yesterday we did it again.  He knew if we were going to get anywhere, he had to go up.  He did fine, picking the easiest lines.  Couple of times paddling along, but never a complaint.

We got to the top and over to the lookout.  It's his 9th birthday, he had already had his B-party earlier, in fact he left the party a little early to catch a ride with Nana so he could go riding!  Anyway at the lookout, I had a beer, he didn't.  I'll teach him drinking later, basically I'll introduce him to the Mitchell crew and Fletch!  Sorry, I thought that was funny.

When he was coming off the lookout, he dumped it.  As I got back to him, he was big eyed and out of breath, he had just picked it up on a hill side (sound familiar).  We talked about brake control on rocks and down hills and off we went.  We took off from there and went over to the area above Piedmont and messed around.  Took a few trails down the mountain side that I'd never been on and then headed back. 

I have to tell this story; So we're headed back on a pretty smooth trail.  I could hear the little motor whining.  I kept expecting him to shift.  Finally I come up along side and tell him to shift.  What?  Shift it.  Boom....hits 3rd gear and off he went.  Next time we stopped, I asked him why he hadn't shifted.  He said, "I didn't know I could, I thought it only had two gears!"  Then with a smile exclaims, ' I didn't know it had three gears!'   I said, "It has 4, maybe 5 gears."  Bigger smile, " Really!,  How many gears does yours have?  "Six."  Wow!"  So now we're flying along at 20 to 22 mph and I'm thinking, "we need gear."

So as I finish writing this, I hear the little motor humming outside and a gear shift hear & there.  Drake's outside riding around, in the rain!
Does that sound familiar? 

Kind of a fun story.  Anyway, now we're looking for some used MX gear.  He says he wants stuff like mine!
LD

Older - Wiser - Faster !

mitchn06

Great story Dave, sounds very familiar, except mine involved lilac bushes and evergreen trees. Hehe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2014.5 Kawasaki KLR650 New Edition

Lonesome Dave

Quote from: mitchn06 on March 26, 2017, 12:54:19 PM
Great story Dave, sounds very familiar, except mine involved lilac bushes and evergreen trees. Hehe.

Remember you'll be having this same story in years to come!  And, there's a few more up and coming members!

Actually, that's one of the many things I love about riding, it crosses multiple generations. 

Older - Wiser - Faster !

sandhillrider

You think you were riding a lot before, now watch out. Sounds like my kids starting out.
I still have a couple of skid plates for crf70s will see if any gear left.

Hank

That's a great story!   I think having a grandkid with a passion for riding is going to bring you a whole lot of fun!

Sent from my Commodore Pet

greatbuffalo

That is very cool Dave. Can't wait to get my grandkids started.
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

jacin theis

Its awesome he has you to teach him and invest the time with him. I don understand why you are teaching him to tip over though.... ;D
Whos in for a big trip? Alsaka? Moab (again)? Baja?
1100 GS

locopny

Quote from: jacin theis on March 27, 2017, 06:39:01 AM
I don't understand why you are teaching him to tip over though.... ;D
I would prefer to call it 'resting'.
87 XL600R 89 CBR600R
'17 CRF1000L
When can I go riding again? Crashing sucks!

Lonesome Dave

Neither of you understand.  In the fast paced, high flying world of a solid "D" rider, I'm teaching him how to pick it up!
Older - Wiser - Faster !

Fletch

it is an important skill Dave.. One I have spent a lot of time on myself..
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike