News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

DDSR Fall Rally 2017

Started by greatbuffalo, May 31, 2017, 09:50:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greatbuffalo

Just trying to generate some quick discussion on the topic.

September 14th - 17th

A group of us visited Broken Arrow Horse Campground over the weekend. They have a nice facility and would welcome us to have our Fall rally there.

The place is a few miles south of Custer, descent access to southern trails and someplace different. The owner is a rider as well.

The only downside is there is no food there but there is a possibility of someone coming in to do breakfast. They are looking into it and will get back to me.

Prices are as follows:
Tent site $20
Water and electric site $28
Full hook up sites will be $32 for 30 amp and $35 for 50 amp
Our small cabins $75
Large cabins $95
Bunkhouse rooms $90
Our Ag cabin will be $50 and BA cabin $90 per night

For descriptions are found here   http://www.brokenarrowhorsecamp.com/

We should move on a decision fairly quickly so looking for input. They are getting more reservations daily for that weekend.

Will answer any questions I can or those that were there may throw in their two cents as well, I know you will.

Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

Abercrombie

I will be returning with the GLMC group of 20 to Custer after finishing off a DakAL ride on Sept 15th.  If I'm still able to walk and ride, I would love to stop in to meet people, and maybe spend the night on the 15th & 16th.   

A more likely scenario will be, I place my tired ass and bike in the truck and go home with my tail between my legs.  LOL

locopny

fall rally much like the one coming up?

I don't know if I can make it, but a quick look at the facility looks decent.
I'll have to see how I make it through the first one.  And check the calendar.  I think there is a wedding I need to go to in Sept.  (no not mine...I'd remember that without a calendar)
87 XL600R 89 CBR600R
'17 CRF1000L
When can I go riding again? Crashing sucks!

sandhillrider

I was with GB when we looked this over and it's a very nice clean campground.
The only drawback I see is it's a long ways south for single track but it is a perfect  place to ride the Custer loop from with lots of trails west of the camp. I would vote we give it a try but am willing to go somewhere else if others would prefer that. A decision needs to be made soon or all areas will be filled as fall seems to have become a busy time in the hills.

grubbie

Looks nice! The southern hills might be a nice change, I haven't ridden much of that area.

Lonesome Dave

Ditto; GB, Sandman, Grubbie.  The breakfast meal is the only worry.
Older - Wiser - Faster !

Bogus Jim

Quote from: Lonesome Dave on June 01, 2017, 11:19:31 PM
The breakfast meal is the only worry.

Don't worry Dave, DDSR breakfast in 8 more days.

greatbuffalo

We made the decision to go ahead with this plan. It was discussed at the spring rally  this past weekend and no one had any objection. So in an effort to stay ahead of the rest of the crowd get your reservations in early.

As for the breakfast situation
We are working with the campground who has a guy that will come in and do breakfasts on Friday, Saturday and Sunday for $11 a head. We are still getting the particulars on this and will update the feasibility as I get more info .

Any questions..... ask.
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

Lonesome Dave

Yesterday I made it up to the Jasper burn area, basically the northern half of the Custer Loop that Bogus Jim put together years ago.  I did part of the northern side but not all of it.  If you remember, part of the Custer loop was on the "power line trail."  Last winter they tore it all up and put in a new power line.  I rode the entire distance the week before on Labor Day weekend.  They actually extended it on both ends.  But because the east end is now very cool and ends up in Pole creek area (sand mine), its worth doing the whole thing on the east end.  I've got a couple of ideas on what to do, including stopping at Mt Meadows for food and fuel.

For those who want to know, I gassed up and headed out west of Custer on Hwy 16 yesterday and picked up the Custer loop trail on the north side of Hwy 16.  Other than a small mistake, (I forgot to load the track on my gps) my odo was at 75 miles when I ended up at Mt. Meadows.  From there we can head out towards Medicine Mt and up Bear Mt and down into Custer.  That should be around 100 to 115 miles total for the day.

South side of this loop could be a grap shoot or maybe at least an adventure.  I haven't been on it in several years.  Who knows what may have been changed since then.  It's not like the Custer area gets lots of rider attention.  A few years ago, Jim and I found a cave that we had ridden by numerous times on the loop.  Now we will stop for a look.  I even have a story about it from a local.

If anyone has ridden the south side of the Custer loop, let me know.  Thanks
Older - Wiser - Faster !

Kevin

Today is my day for dumb questions.  I have not been to one of these rallies and my "tagged for street" dual sport is a Beta 300 RR 2 stoke with an oversized tank.  As to not be a burden, carrying oil, will I have sufficient range between gas stops?   8)   
Look ahead and you'll shred...

Lonesome Dave

If you have a 3 gal tank, I'd day yes.  I assume you get about 40 miles to the gal.  We are always traveling with super tankers (KLRs) so we just steal from them.

In the above post, it was 75 miles.  I'm not sure about the southern half.  At worst, Newcastle, WY is 10 miles away at the western edge of that part of the loop.  I also know someone right on the edge of WY that would hold gas at their place for people to fill.  Just got to get the gas there first!
Older - Wiser - Faster !

Kevin

Thank you for the input!!  See you Friday afternoon.
Look ahead and you'll shred...

grubbie

You think that northern half is doable on a 650? I did part of the southern half a few weeks ago. I was glad I was on the 250 just because of the surprise mud holes, I was going fast enough that I wouldn't have been able to get the 650 shut down/ maneuvered in time to avoid landing in the middle of them (the grubbie rock all over again). Looking like rain for the weekend.......see you Thursday!

Lonesome Dave

I will probably ride the "Italian Princess" on both halves, mainly because its easier.  But to answer your question, I rode the yellow & black, "BumbleBee" about a 165 miles on Sunday.  I rode it through the worst of it.  Mainly, to make sure the KLR types could do it.  On the east end of the power line trail (new part) it might be a little intimidating for some, but I know you won't have trouble.  For some, if they have trouble, we'll just help a little.  Remember, were not doing the whole damn thing in one day.  We'll have time mess around!   
Older - Wiser - Faster !

Fletch

I might try to catch up to you guys somewhere on Saturday....
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike