News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Eight Over Seven

Started by Wizard, June 09, 2017, 07:39:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wizard

I read this in the RC Journal and I thought of Dave and his quest and thought this pic was a good listing of targets!  Have you been up them all Dave?  I guess since there is a list I must stand atop them all!  How many do you think you could do in one day?  I am thinking Challenge Accepted....

Bogus Jim

Maybe bring some hiking shoes... I hiked Sylvan many years ago and don't think I would want to do that in my mx boots.

I bet you could do all of them in a day but it would be a long day.

Bogus Jim

Ack.. I forgot about Harney Peak, it's been renamed to Black Elk so didn't recognize it.

Yeah, definitely a long day. Hike up Harney starting about 5am, jog back down, then the rest will seem easy.   ;D

Robmicgrn

Riding up to Harney Peak is on my bucket list (it will always be Harney to me). I'll probably ride the 530  :evil :evil. Start at the Sylvan Lake trail head.
"You don't know how fast you can go till you crash"

Fletch

Quote from: Robmicgrn on June 09, 2017, 11:59:53 AM
Riding up to Harney Peak is on my bucket list (it will always be Harney to me). I'll probably ride the 530  :evil :evil. Start at the Sylvan Lake trail head.

I would so love to do this!! how big is the fine do you suppose??
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

Robmicgrn

Quote from: Fletch on June 09, 2017, 12:22:50 PM

There is only a fine if you get caught. Up one way down the other. Midnight run!
"You don't know how fast you can go till you crash"

Fletch

Quote from: Robmicgrn on June 09, 2017, 12:33:08 PM

There is only a fine if you get caught. Up one way down the other. Midnight run!

when is the next full moon?

Lonesome Dave

Quote from: Wizard on June 09, 2017, 07:39:47 AM
I read this in the RC Journal and I thought of Dave and his quest and thought this pic was a good listing of targets!

Thanks Pauly, I just read that.  The author and I have talked numerous times about Harney/Black Elk and that Bear Mnt. is actually higher in elevation by a few feet.  I can tell you the back story on this at the Rally.  The author and I were on the phone when he came up with this idea!  He said, "I've got a good buddy here at the journal that likes to come up with fun stuff to do and get paid for it, maybe we'll do this."  He suggested a good challenge would be to find all the 7k plus peaks in the BH.  I told him that was a great idea, but I might have already been to all of them.  However, I'm not sure if I've ever been to Sylvan Peak or not.

But, for what it's worth, there's one more 7k plus peak, very near Green Mountain.  My friends and family call it, wait for it......
"Lost Dave's Peak!"  This was before the LD nickname.  I spent a very long day of walking there.  No one from DDSR has ever been there.  My son, Chris, took his girl friend up there last year summer to propose.  He's getting married this July.  I guess it worked.
Back in 1995, Chris and I carved our initials in the single tree growing out of the rocks.  We go back every couple of years to keep it there.  We use to be able to ride right to the base of the peak, but now there's now no legal trail and too much timber down.  Still it's only a 1/4 mile walk or so.  If we find ourselves around Deerfield next week, maybe......  It's got a great lookout towards the north.

Older - Wiser - Faster !

Lonesome Dave

Quote from: Fletch on June 09, 2017, 12:40:09 PM
Quote from: Robmicgrn on June 09, 2017, 12:33:08 PM

when is the next full moon?

One of our members has actually ridden single track up there many years ago.  DrDude (Mike D.) 
I would bet if someone rode up there now, you'd make CNN national news!
Older - Wiser - Faster !

Wizard

Dave, That would be fun to take on the Mystery 7K , I think I will have to formulate a plan to do all of them in one day, cause it needs to be done!   I have been to a few of them, But Sylvan Peak seems to be one of the least traveled of them on the list besides LD Peak ;)

Quote from: Lonesome Dave on June 09, 2017, 01:43:25 PM
Quote from: Wizard on June 09, 2017, 07:39:47 AM
I read this in the RC Journal and I thought of Dave and his quest and thought this pic was a good listing of targets!

Thanks Pauly, I just read that.  The author and I have talked numerous times about Harney/Black Elk and that Bear Mnt. is actually higher in elevation by a few feet.  I can tell you the back story on this at the Rally.  The author and I were on the phone when he came up with this idea!  He said, "I've got a good buddy here at the journal that likes to come up with fun stuff to do and get paid for it, maybe we'll do this."  He suggested a good challenge would be to find all the 7k plus peaks in the BH.  I told him that was a great idea, but I might have already been to all of them.  However, I'm not sure if I've ever been to Sylvan Peak or not.

But, for what it's worth, there's one more 7k plus peak, very near Green Mountain.  My friends and family call it, wait for it......
"Lost Dave's Peak!"  This was before the LD nickname.  I spent a very long day of walking there.  No one from DDSR has ever been there.  My son, Chris, took his girl friend up there last year summer to propose.  He's getting married this July.  I guess it worked.
Back in 1995, Chris and I carved our initials in the single tree growing out of the rocks.  We go back every couple of years to keep it there.  We use to be able to ride right to the base of the peak, but now there's now no legal trail and too much timber down.  Still it's only a 1/4 mile walk or so.  If we find ourselves around Deerfield next week, maybe......  It's got a great lookout towards the north.

Wizard

MX boots are a no start that is for sure!  maybe if you did Black Elk last you could just fall back down.....  But I think it would have to be one of the book ends of the day.    I am sure there could be some fun riding in between these peaks!

Quote from: Bogus Jim on June 09, 2017, 10:18:54 AM
Ack.. I forgot about Harney Peak, it's been renamed to Black Elk so didn't recognize it.

Yeah, definitely a long day. Hike up Harney starting about 5am, jog back down, then the rest will seem easy.   ;D

Wizard

I looks like SummitPost lists 4 other peaks in the 6900+ category in the hills, Haven't even heard of Copper Mountain or White Tail Peak.

Fletch

I was at white tail peak last Sunday.

Bogus Jim

There's a short, gnarly trail on White Tail peak that ends in a small cliff on 3 sides. It was a bit of a surprise! Facing east I think. But trail is closed nowadays.