News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Thinking I need to get back into it...

Started by The Yeti, June 30, 2017, 03:44:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Yeti

Hey Guys,

Long time, I know...but I've been thinking lately I really need to get back into it! Since my current 1200GSA is just a bit intimidating off road...and my previous WR250R got me into a bit of trouble...I've actually been looking hard at the ride Bret (loingrader) has been recommending to me for years; the mighty TW200.

Don't laugh! I know the mental image of a Yeti atop a T-Dub is probably hilarious to you...and akin to the proverbial "gorilla humping a football" analogy, but I've been doing a LOT of reading and this seems to be just what the doctor ordered (semi-literally). I'm gonna go out to BH Powersports and sit on one this weekend, and if it doesn't seem too ridiculously small, I may even take it one for a spin. I would of course eventually be looking for a nice, used deal.

If the TW200 doesn't work out for me, I guess I would probably be looking at another WRR...unless you guys can recommend something else that I have less chance of hurting myself with.   ;)

Anyways, just wanted to let you guys know that I'm still around, and hope to be around more in the future!
"You want me to ride up THAT?!"

loingrader

Quote from: The Yeti on June 30, 2017, 03:44:14 PM
Hey Guys,

Long time, I know...but I've been thinking lately I really need to get back into it! Since my current 1200GSA is just a bit intimidating off road...and my previous WR250R got me into a bit of trouble...I've actually been looking hard at the ride Bret (loingrader) has been recommending to me for years; the mighty TW200.

Don't laugh! I know the mental image of a Yeti atop a T-Dub is probably hilarious to you...and akin to the proverbial "gorilla humping a football" analogy, but I've been doing a LOT of reading and this seems to be just what the doctor ordered (semi-literally). I'm gonna go out to BH Powersports and sit on one this weekend, and if it doesn't seem too ridiculously small, I may even take it one for a spin. I would of course eventually be looking for a nice, used deal.

If the TW200 doesn't work out for me, I guess I would probably be looking at another WRR...unless you guys can recommend something else that I have less chance of hurting myself with.   ;)

Anyways, just wanted to let you guys know that I'm still around, and hope to be around more in the future!
Nice to hear from ya Yeti!  The TW is a blast, even for a lanky guy but there are lots of mild mannered japanese ds bikes that would not get you in trouble as quick as your WRR.  TW is a cheap option that I guarantee will put a smile on your face.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

Fletch

My opinion is that it depends what you want to do. If you can keep the GS to milder terrain it will be fine. If you want to ride single track you definitely need something smaller. I enjoy my 1190, but keep it to the tame stuff and have no problems. When I want to enjoy more challenging stuff I ride the 300. It depends what you want to do. I won't take my 1190 on the single track and I won't take my 300 on 40miles of gravel road ;)

oh, ya... Welcome back!!
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

Harry Potter

Go down to Roscos in Rapid City and take a look at my old TW200 which is in like new condition. It has a lot of invisible farkles on it like a larger 350 tank that has been painted and decaled to look Factory. It also has the kick starter added to back up the e-start which they don't come with any more. A great bike that I traded in on a Sherco X-Ride so I could try to keep up with guys like Fletch on single track.
"The best modification you can make to your bike is a better rider," Jimmy Lewis.

sandhillrider

Good to see you back. Maybe we can even meet sometime. Your WR is doing well for me.
Really enjoy riding it have had it in the hills twice this spring,
And am using it a lot to chase cows here on the ranch.
And I want to throw out that I have a TW200 for sale that's set
up about the way the WR was, bar risers, skid plate etc.

Lonesome Dave

Quote from: Harry Potter on June 30, 2017, 04:50:51 PM
Go down to Roscos in Rapid City and take a look at my old TW200 which is in like new condition. It has a lot of invisible farkles on it like a larger 350 tank that has been painted and decaled to look Factory. It also has the kick starter added to back up the e-start which they don't come with any more. A great bike that I traded in on a Sherco X-Ride so I could try to keep up with guys like Fletch on single track.

Yeti, if you get serious about a T-dub, the one mentioned by Harry P. is the best deal out there, at least for features/farkles.  Depending on what you want to spend.  It's got low low miles and is gorgeous (if a t-dub can be).  Also, Woody's old Sherco 300 4t is also down there.  Oh yea, I forgot, my old wr250r is there also.  There's a range of bikes for you.

Oh yea.........welcome back!  Give me a call and I can tell you more.  I've been up to your remodel at the tv station numerous times.  Maybe I'll stop in.  LD
Older - Wiser - Faster !

grubbie

Good to here you are still around! But.....sorry, can't see you being very satisfied on a TeeDub for very long. Just my opinion. Good luck in your search and hope to ride with you again.

gerry1eye

Hey, good to hear from you and hope to see you riding.
During the spring rally, while filling gas over at Nemo we ran into Flex Larson on his KTM. Brian was asking about you and how you were doing. He also was wondering if Hank, Brett, Plumber Mike and a few other originals were at the rally. Sadly very few are left from the first rally.
We would like to see you back at the fall rally.
fearless to fear of falling - warranty has expired.

JoniJo

Hey there Yeti....Way back when... I was riding a Suzuki DRZ 400E.  You were my go to guy for DDSR.
I was also there when those boulders attacked you and you were hurt. I felt your pain. 
I'm out of dirt biking all together because of a bad neck... not bike related... but I still ride on the street. A lot more dangerous!!!
There isn't a day that goes by that I don't think about my dirt days. MISS IT BIG TIME!!!!
Good to hear from you... All I can say is... Ride within your comfort zone. TT125, TW200 or KTM 5,000 (they still make that, don't they?) ... Stay safe!!!
I live vicariously through these guys and gals on this thread. Keep talking to me people!!!
All the best!!!    Joni
JoniJo

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -

Thomas Jefferson

Lonesome Dave

To clarify; The TW at Rosco's is around $3k I think.  Sandhillrider also has a sweet TW that very sweet, and I'm sure much cheaper.
Older - Wiser - Faster !

Hank

Be good to see you on the trail Alan!  Hopefully i make the next rally!

Sent from my Commodore Pet

greatbuffalo

Yeti, I will reiterate that is great to hear from you. If you are looking for mild, but not too small, check out the XT250. Its a fine machine.
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?