News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Photobucket

Started by Hank, July 12, 2017, 06:43:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hank

Well photobucket disabled 3rd party links, which really sucks for DDSR as I think over 1/2 the images on this site were hosted there.

They want $400/yr (!!!!!) now for a plan that allows 3rd party hosting.    I guess they can get bent... and I'll start looking at alternatives.

Fletch

stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

Bogus Jim

I think Photobucket just committed suicide... no one except professionals will pay $400 and I doubt that many professional photographers use Photobucket.

Here's a link to bulk download your albums, for anyone who wants to move. But editing the embedded links will be 95% of the work.
http://support.photobucket.com/hc/en-us/articles/201892970-Downloading-Albums

Hank

$25 per year might be something I'd swallow..  I don't think a there is a casual user in the world that will pay $400.   And I'm guessing that is about 95% of their users.

Sent from my Commodore Pet

greatbuffalo

Never have used them for much. I think Jim is right, they just shot themselves in the hand that feeds them

Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

Wacked

FYI -

Baldy, who also developed and owns the ADVrider site, has recently sold the Photobucket domain.

So there's a new Sheriff in town and that's why so many people are seeing a shift in Photobucket policies - Hopefully he doesn't sell ADVrider in the near future.

Wacked

Hank

I'm pretty sure Baldy owned smugmug and just sold that.   I don't think he owned photobucket?

Quote from: Wacked on July 13, 2017, 12:06:02 PM

FYI -

Baldy, who also developed and owns the ADVrider site, has recently sold the Photobucket domain.

So there's a new Sheriff in town and that's why so many people are seeing a shift in Photobucket policies - Hopefully he doesn't sell ADVrider in the near future.

Wacked

locopny

If I don't use the attachment feature on a site, I use Supermotors.net   while it may not be for everyone....it works for me.  It is free and its easy.  Two of the most important things in posting photos.  Yes I get a watermark on them, but I have the originals on a disc or the hard drive someplace if its important to see the whole picture.  Just an option for some of y'all.

This topic is likely the biggest thing to hit discussion forums since 'private servers' and 'collusion'.
87 XL600R 89 CBR600R
'17 CRF1000L
When can I go riding again? Crashing sucks!

Robmicgrn

This is all over the interweb. Lots of pissed off people................
"You don't know how fast you can go till you crash"

Fletch

so what is the easiest, cheapest (preferably free) way to post photos?

Bogus Jim

I'm going to look into ImageShack and SmugMug. ImageShack has a free plan, the cheapest SmugMug plan is $4/month. $48 a year seems kinda high. You can setup your own domain/site for about the same money.

If you guys have any other ideas, post them...

Hank

Quote from: Bogus Jim on July 18, 2017, 07:34:04 PM
I'm going to look into ImageShack and SmugMug. ImageShack has a free plan, the cheapest SmugMug plan is $4/month. $48 a year seems kinda high. You can setup your own domain/site for about the same money.

If you guys have any other ideas, post them...
I wonder if I could add photo storage with the ability to link right on the DDSR domain?   I don't know how to go about that right off hand but I'll bet it wouldn't be that hard.

Sent from my Commodore Pet

Fletch

testing testing testing

Hank

When this all happened I started the process of downloading all my albums off PB and got a few done.    Tried again lately and they've eliminated the option to download entire albums!!   So it was looking like 1 picture at a time, which would suck real bad when you have 1000+ pics on there.

But, FYI there is a chrome extension you can buy for $2 that allows you to easily download entire albums..  Well worth it!

Photobucket's site is now like participating in an SNL skit.   There are so many ads running its hard to even see the screen.     It'd be comical if it wasn't so incredibly frustrating.   I can't wait to close my account.

greatbuffalo

I am lucky as I only had a few photos there. I do know others that had literally 1000's.

Sucks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?