Looking for a beginner bike to teach my nephew how to ride.

Started by Abercrombie, July 19, 2017, 07:41:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abercrombie

I looking for a bike before next Wednesday something along the lines of a tt-r125, tt-r250, XT225, KLX140L, CFR150F.   I would prefer it be something in pretty decent condition since my nephew will be here next Wednesday and I don't have time for anything more than minor repairs.

Abercrombie

Well the search has ended.  I learned today that my 13 year old nephew is a little larger than I thought at 5'11" and 170 lbs so the bikes I was looking for would be a little small.  With little hope of finding anything, I walked into a local dealership this morning and found a very clean used Honda CRF230F.  This bike should be tame enough for a beginner to learn to ride and still enough fun that I can load a set of tires up with ice screws and go play on the frozen lakes with friends this winter.  Most of them like to ride tt-r 125s so I should be able to keep up with them despite my lack of ice riding skills.

Abercrombie

locopny

87 XL600R 89 CBR600R
'17 CRF1000L
When can I go riding again? Crashing sucks!

Abercrombie

Well I messed up and sold my sweet little CRF230 this spring and now my nephew is coming back to ND and wants to ride again.  I sold the CRF 230 because it wasn't street legal and the suspension was mush, so I looking for a replacement that's street legal.  I'll be down in the Black Hills next week if there is anything available in that area.

Looking for a decent street legal dual sport.  Yamaha WR250R, WR250F, XT250 possibly a TW200, Kawasaki KLX 250, Honda CRF250L, Suzuki DR-Z400.  I suppose a KTM or Beta in would also work although I don't think they make anything as slow, heavy and inexpensive as I'm looking for.

I would like to keep it under $3000.00 but open to anything.  I'm not exactly in the middle of dual sport mecca in SE ND so finding a good clean enduro is a challenge here. 

I guess I should've just held onto my XR650L.  The Beta 500 is pretty awesome but selling the XR is like loosing a fat, heavy, under powered  old friend.

Lonesome Dave

Older - Wiser - Faster !

Abercrombie

Nice looking little bike but at $4440.00 which is only $559.00 under the $4999.00 MSRP three years ago I think they may have it priced a little optimistically. 

greatbuffalo

I may have a nice little XT225, 04 I think.
Its my daughter in laws machine.
I will see what the deal is this weekend. I am thinking $2000. But we can talk.
PM me your email
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

Bogus Jim

Abercrombie

Thanks for every bodies help.  A nice, unmolested, very low mileage, 2006 DRZ400S popped up for sale this week and I made the mistake of going to take a look at it.  It has a scuff on the right side plastic and muffler, needs some new grips, and a new coolant overflow tank but its in pretty great shape for a 12 year old bike.  After riding it for a few days I can't believe how great of a bike the DRZ is. The best part about it is that now I have a second bike for my son to ride if he wants to come to the fall rally with us.

tannerc

do the 3x3 and the pumper carb! its a night and day difference on a drz-s. those cv carbs work like shit on a trail bike.
"Retreat, hell! We're not retreating, we're just advancing in a different direction."

Abercrombie

Quote from: tannerc on August 02, 2018, 08:23:06 AM
do the 3x3 and the pumper carb! its a night and day difference on a drz-s. those cv carbs work like shit on a trail bike.

Well this isn't my main bike so I won't be spending or doing too much to it, but I am truly amazed at how this thing rips the way it sits.  I have no idea what mods are already on this bike and neither did the idiot I bought if from.  All he knew was that it spent its first 9 years owned by a Suzuki / Kawasaki dealer mechanic friend of his and that it had a Scott's steering dampener on it.  ( He wasn't sure what a steering dampener was or what its function is.)  LOL   

I'll hopefully get it serviced and check out the carb and air box to see what has been done already before my nephew gets here Sunday.  The only thing I currently have plans to do is replace the coolant tank, grips, hand guards, and possibly a tidy tail of some sort.

Hank

If it rips maybe its already had the DRZ-E upgrades done to it.   I've had both an E and and S and the difference is night and day!!

tannerc

DRZ's are under rated. bullet proof rock solid bikes. they can do it all.
"Retreat, hell! We're not retreating, we're just advancing in a different direction."