News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Rever app

Started by greatbuffalo, February 21, 2017, 01:49:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greatbuffalo

I have been looking at e Rever GPS app that was created along with Butler. It seems to be a great app and I have been doing a bit of playing with the free version. It is SUPER easy to create routes with.

The deal is that in order to get the whole enchilada out of it they want a premium subscription fee. Its 60 bucks a year or 6 bucks a month and you can cancel at any time.

Has anyone actually used this app in the real world?

https://rever.co/download-app/
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

tannerc

I have played with the free one.
the pay one does not look to be worth it in my opinion. gps for location is fine but you need cell service for other features.
I will stick with a Garmin gps for a rugged-ized tracking unit.
"Retreat, hell! We're not retreating, we're just advancing in a different direction."

greatbuffalo

The premium does allow for tracking and offline maps. I have found Basecamp a PIA to work with for creating routes. What attracted me to this app is the ease of route building and really good offline maps.

I use a 8 inch tablet for navigating. It is still cheaper going this route than spending 700 - 900 bucks of a stand alone Zumo with a 5 inch screen. You see my eyes aren't what they used to be.

KLC63

The national forest mvum overlays are free and you can use other free apps on your tablet for creating tracks.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

THE OLDER I GET, THE FASTER I WAS.

Jordan Marshall

Any suggestion for apps (PC/tablet/phone) to create tracks on the Forest service maps?  I would like to create some routes to follow along on with avenza

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

mitchn06

I use MotionX-GPS. I did pay for the app, like $10 for lifetime, but I've already got my $10 out of it. Allows for guests to follow your progress online if you want. Easily obtain routes from email. I've enjoyed it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2014.5 Kawasaki KLR650 New Edition

sleddog

I use Mapsource for route planning. I have City Navigator, US Road & Rec & OSM maps that I use for mapping programs in the USA. Other programs for Mexico but, still Mapsource. VERY FEW times have I not found the roads/ trails I want to ride not show up on City Navigator. FSR, Fire access etc. I also confirm by "flying" the route with Google Earth.

Basecamp can be frustrating to use. Best advise I can give to make sure you have all the tool bars turned on.

The Montana is about $300 now. There's no need to spend $700 on the Zumos unless you need Bluetooth, music, Phone etc. I have found the Zumo not very friendly for loading, creating & using tracks.

I'm willing to help or show anyone.

tannerc

I also use Google Earth to create tracks. It can be time consuming but it works real well for making connecting routes around the hills. I have  a turn by turn navigation app on my tablet that i use for the street. it works well, it is a pay for app Navigon http://www.navigon.com/en/ I havent really used it to its fullest potential.
"Retreat, hell! We're not retreating, we're just advancing in a different direction."

sleddog

With Mapsource & Basecamp, after you've created your route or track, you can click on "File".....'"view in Google Earth" It will show in whatever color you had it saved as.

Another cool thing you can do, if you have a Satellite tracking devise (Spot or inReach). Set it up to use Spotwalla has your host. You can then insert an overlay from BC or MS of your intended route or tracks that will show up on your page.

Here is a link to our Fall 2016 Mexico trip. The orange with orange balls is our actual route. Zoom in & you'll see other colored lines, which is the overlay of the intended route.

https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=12aa5580e4660c7136

Hank

I've never messed with anything other than basecamp and my Garmin, both of which I think pretty much suck.    I've spent the better part of my adult life working with technology, in some form or the other (including programming and software), but the GARMIN WAY of doing things always baffles me.   Sure you can always figure it out with enough patience, but I always get annoyed and wonder why so much patience is required.

Edit: I should note I'm not running down basecamp or Garmin.. I just don't like how their software works personally.   Obviously they've done well and a zillion other people do like it.

That said, I did a trial membership of Rever and just put together my first route in about 6 seconds.    Very cool.   $5 / month if paid annually really doesn't sound bad at all.

Hank

Fletch

I guess there is no excuse for being lost all the time?
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

greatbuffalo

There is something to be said for being lost. I have made some great discoveries not knowing where I was. 

Fletch

Quote from: greatbuffalo on February 23, 2017, 01:26:46 AM
There is something to be said for being lost. I have made some great discoveries not knowing where I was.

I've been lost most of my life?
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike