News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Total Eclipse

Started by Bogus Jim, August 03, 2017, 11:02:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogus Jim

Is anyone planning to ride down and see the total eclipse Aug. 21? I think the path is going to cross Cheyenne WY and Lincoln NE. I've seen a couple, so not sure if I'll take time off work to see this one.

What I remember the most, is all the birds go silent when the sun goes dark. Then a couple minutes later, the sun comes back and they start chirping again.

Hank

I would like to...  the path of "totality" isn't too far away.  The total eclipse I remember seeing... I think I was a 4th grader.

Sent from my Commodore Pet

Wacked

I'm heading down to Guernsey/Wheatland for the monumental event.  Not sure if I'm Biking or Vanning.   Could be convinced to bike.

Wacked

Bogus Jim

I was off a bit on the path; it's crossing Jackson, Casper, Glendo, Alliance, Grand Island. Here's a google map.

http://xjubier.free.fr/en/site_pages/solar_eclipses/TSE_2017_GoogleMapFull.html?Lat=42.83167&Lng=-106.32019&Zoom=8&LC=1

It will actually be visible as far north as Gillette and Rapid City but only a partial eclipse.

sandhillrider

Bonnie's family's farm is within 5 miles of dead center of eclipse path by Dorchester Nebraska.
2 minutes and 28 seconds of total eclipse. She and I are planning on going down so any of you east river guys or west would be welcome to come. Could camp there night before. From what I hear the strip through Nebraska is going to be crowded with people from all over and all hotels and campgrounds are already full.

Bogus Jim

"The state of Nebraska is expecting 100,000 - 400,000 visitors"

http://rapidcityjournal.com/news/local/nebraska-readies-for-eclipse-influx/article_43031346-ab3d-52f2-bb6d-8a70949e74fa.html

I'd say forget about finding a campsite / hotel in Nebraska or Wyoming.

Fletch

I attended the Emergency mgmt pre-rally meeting and the homeland security guy said this is more of a concern than the rally. Central Wyoming is booked for hotels/campgrounds, no rental cars available, and they are concerned about fuel shortages due to the amount of people?? Of course they are always a bit dramatic so???
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

Bogus Jim

I was thinking about riding down early Monday morning. But if you can't get gas once you're down there... starting to sound like a zoo.

Fletch

those guy always seem to overreact. but??

greatbuffalo

This sounds eerily familiar.

"Benteen, Come on. Big village, Be quick. Bring (roto)packs. W.W. Cooke. P.S. Bring (roto) Packs."

;D ;D ;D
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

sandhillrider

Maybe this is going to be a zoo. Talked to a friend yesterday a he said one of there frieght company's is putting a travel ban on I80 for there trucks passing through Nebraska Sunday to Tuesday.

Fletch

I know the rural electric Coop in Lusk is closing for the day as they don't wan't their trucks on the road?

Wacked

Sounds like false Y2K fear mongering all over again .......  just saying.

OK, who wants to ride down Sunday night and camp?

Wacked

Fletch

Quote from: Wacked on August 11, 2017, 08:47:19 AM

Sounds like false Y2K fear mongering all over again .......  just saying.

OK, who wants to ride down Sunday night and camp?

Wacked

haha...exactly!!

Bogus Jim

Every place I've called is booked. Unless you already have reservations I think remote camping might be your best bet.

I'm kinda on the fence about going. I think I might just ride down Monday morning, the path is only about 100-120 miles from Hot Springs I think, so not like you have to leave at 3 am.