News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

trails or gravel roads for 4 wheels?

Started by locopny, September 26, 2017, 11:05:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

locopny

Looks like Dad and I will be coming to the Hills for a stay in Deadwood that he and mom were going to do this month.  I won't be bringing the bike thanks to some delayed in shipping parts (but that's another story).  Are there some good scenic trails/roads that are good for either his 4wd SuperCrew 150 or my SuperDuty 250 Crewcab Long box?  Not really looking for anything hard core to put pinstripes on the truck (save that for when I bring out the "toy") but  something I wont be seeing my grandparents Cadillac on. 
Don't have an exact date yet and only a general idea of when (before Halloween) and likely midweek.
Any directions would be awesome...
Of course this could be a great excuse to purchase a Transalp/Africatwin I have been posting. haha
87 XL600R 89 CBR600R
'17 CRF1000L
When can I go riding again? Crashing sucks!

Harry Potter

Starting at Spearfish canyon lodge and going up to Cement Ridge Lookout just across the border into Wyoming should be good for fall color right now.
"The best modification you can make to your bike is a better rider," Jimmy Lewis.

locopny

would this need any special permit for travel?  a pay to play fee? 
trying to get us back into going out more often...been too long.  Whether on bike or in truck, it needs to happen.
87 XL600R 89 CBR600R
'17 CRF1000L

Harry Potter

No permit required. You'll go by where they filmed the last part of Dances with Wolves. If your up on top of Cement Ridge at sunset you can see the outline of the Big Horn mountains. I think you can still go by Tinton when up there and also swing by Iron Creek Lake.
"The best modification you can make to your bike is a better rider," Jimmy Lewis.

locopny

headed out this Tuesday for a couple days. 
87 XL600R 89 CBR600R
'17 CRF1000L

locopny

Is there any shop for riding pants that I should hit up in the area (Rapid City)....or is it best to just hit up on of the on-line vendors?

I'm looking for something for my street ride...and there is nothing in the Aberdeen area.  Maybe I get lucky and see something at an end of season discount.

Staying in Deadwood Tuesday and Wednesday.  Gold Dust I think it is. Mavericks for supper one night.
Probably going to miss the bike being here...but motivate me to come back soon.
87 XL600R 89 CBR600R
'17 CRF1000L

Harry Potter

Yes stop at Sturgis motorsports for some cool but very expensive BMW riding gear. Hehe. RevZilla.com is where I pick up most of my gear. As to your other guestion:

Another route you can take is the 3 campground tour. Start off with breakfast at Cheyenne Crossing. Go west out of the Cafe, across the bridge turn left  to Hanah Creek campground. Keep going past the camp once you have checked it out (I once saw a mountain lion there) and go to the first gravel road to the right, I think it's called the long road and take it to Black Fox Campground. After that you can drive into Rochford for lunch. From Rochford take the south Rochford road towards Deerfield for 3 miles and turn off on 181? to Castle Peak campground, there is a sign there with directions. Keep going past the campground following Castle creek to Mystic and from there to Hill City for supper. I don't have a forest service  map handy or would give you all the numbers. Knowing these 3 campgrounds gives you a good start on learning the Black Hills. Have fun. Cheyenne Crossing is at the top of Spearfish canyon outside of Deadwood - Lead past the Terry Peak turn off. Have fun Harry Potter.

locopny

I should be sleeping as I'm set to leave by 8....but its how I roll I guess.

I've been to Cheyenne Crossing before although it was a few years ago dragging a big trailer back to CA in early winter.  Ok I'm not always the best judge of route....it was scenic...and icy (but I digress)

Much appreciated on the 4 tire trails.  I'm digging my old forest service map out if I can find it. or I'll buy one when I get there.
87 XL600R 89 CBR600R
'17 CRF1000L

Lonesome Dave

You can take Sand Creek, straight south of Beulah, WY into "Grand Canyon"  that will take you all the way over to Hwy 18 (?) towards Newcastle.  (same road as Cheyenne Crossing is on)

Want to keep going, continue south and turn east at 4 Corners, WY on gravel and go to Mallo Camp, keep heading east to Beaver Creek and then onto Deerfield.

Older - Wiser - Faster !

locopny

Thanks for the recommendations.  We combined a few of them and came up with a cool way to explore and still have time to be "Hills" tourists.  We will definitely be doing this again.  Really want to get the bikes out there next time also.

87 XL600R 89 CBR600R
'17 CRF1000L

locopny

Went past the Sugar Shack, Fish N Fry, The visitor center at Homestead Mine, Crazy Horse,  Downtown Deadwood.  I'm sure there is more to explore there than we could do in an entire summer or fall combined.  Staying in a camper might make more sense for a longer trip...might need to get one for next year.  Just one long drive for a 3day trek.
87 XL600R 89 CBR600R
'17 CRF1000L