News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Winter Therapy

Started by Kevin, October 14, 2017, 10:17:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin

I keep thinking I want a 701 Husky, but flinch at the price.  :-\  As a remedy I found this sweet 05 XR 650 R tagged street legal with the plan to make it my own, including specific set up and a plethora of goodies.  The project will be a fantastic way to recover from the stab wound I acquired wrestling with a wayward avocado during the fall rally, subsequent repair of my severed index flexor tendons, all while keeping my mind right as riding is delayed as a result thereof... 

Look ahead and you'll shred...

locopny

Gotta watch those wayward avocados.  They can be sneaky little buggers.
Sounds like a fine way to spend recovery.  I promised myself I will not get injured for the Spring rally next year.
87 XL600R 89 CBR600R
'17 CRF1000L
When can I go riding again? Crashing sucks!

Lonesome Dave

Sweet, I'd like to have that! 
Older - Wiser - Faster !

Hank

That looks like fun!   Bummer on the finger!

Sent from my Commodore Pet

tannerc

One of the best bikes ever made!  :evil
"Retreat, hell! We're not retreating, we're just advancing in a different direction."

loingrader

Gotta love the BRP

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

Kevin

All torn down.  Engine passed a leak down, so I will leave it alone for now.  Ordered all new linkage bearings, and sent the forks and shock to precision concepts to perform their magic.  Ordered custom graphics, and going to purchase/install warp 9 wheel set.  More to come...

BCB1080

Nice dude!
....28 posts and Kevin is cooler than me.....by far.

Kevin

I don't know about the cooler part!!  I am a bit of a klutz to require Winter Therapy to begin with!!  :o 

However, I did get my suspension back from Precision Concepts, installed new bearings, packed with grease and installed new seals.  They gave my suspension the Steve Hengeveld treatment just like the factory XR's back in the day!!  I painted the front fender flat black to eliminate the glare from the high powered LED head light I will install!!! 

Kevin

Progress, New warp 9 hubs, spokes, rims, 908 Rally Raid tires, Flex bars, Scott Steering stabilizer, Rekluse clutch, etc.  More to come... 

Finally attached a photo properly.  Thanks Hank!!

greatbuffalo

Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

Akunin

We have two XR's sitting in the garage but they aren't as shiney as yours. Looks great! Excellent work!

Kevin

Almost finished.  I started it today to insure it would...  I tried embedding a photo like before, but it was huge, so I am attaching a shared link instead.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/156375234@N06/434f19

Kevin

I was able to get the bike inspected and passed as street legal.  Installed the license plate and took it out for a couple of hours to shake it down.  Other than a slight hesitation right off of closed throttle it runs and rides great, pilot jet i'm sure.  I will be riding it and my Beta at the June Rally.  8)

greatbuffalo

Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?