News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

June Iron Butt Adv

Started by Hank, April 01, 2009, 06:45:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hank

So here is the tentative itinerary for Paul and I June 17-21.   

Day 1, Watertown to Glacier.   1074 miles - or the nearest hotel once we pass 1050 or so.
Day 2, Glacier to Bozeman.   343 miles.   Maybe we'll do Helena that day if we're sore and it takes a long time to get through Glacier.
Day 3.   Yellowstone.  Could be a short day - 160 miles if we ride from Bozeman.   Take a break, enjoy old faithful.   Hopefully the caldera doesn't erupt that day. 
Day 4.   Saturday - 513 miles to the Hills to hang w/ the boars and see if beer still tastes good.
Day 5.  396 miles home.

It's a pretty ambitious trip for a couple guys that haven't done much street riding for a few years.   Paul's VFR isn't exactly cushy either.. but he's a tough little fella.    Hopefully my 27 yr old GS1100 beast will be up to the task!

loingrader

a properly set up viffer will do great and i'm sure your bavarian cream puff will certainly be up to the task as well.  those bikes don't start getting broken in until 100,000 miles anyway. 

the bike is not as important as the rider on the long days, and all you need is a positive attitude, and you'll have fun.  i'm jealous of your route.
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

Hank

Oh no, not a Bavarian cream puff.. a Japanese cream puff (rice puff, rice cake??).    Sorry.. Suzuki GS1100E, 1982 vintage.

Paul's VFR800 doesn't seem as cushy as my '94 VFR750 did.   Maybe its just because I'm 15 yrs older than I was when I had that.
My 1100 will be setup pretty well.. I'll have to post some pics when I get it back together.    Another project bike.. what was I thinking?!   This one was pretty good when I bought it, but anything that age its not hard to find plenty of things to fix.

loingrader

ah ha!  well anything japanese is going to be golden too.  i bought my first street bike (which is still in my possession) when i was 14.  1987 suzuki gs450l.  it is still a fun bike and is probably worth more than the $800 i paid for it back when it was only 5 years old.

when my brother and i did our saddle sore, he was on a 1990 cbr600f1 streetfighter.  wide handlebars.  high pegs, home made seat (1/2 inch foam over hard plastic), zero wind protection.  he didn't ride for a month after that trip!

i rode my blackbird the next day up to brookings and he couldn't believe it.  riding a cbr1100xx on a saddlesore is just getting her warmed up. 

looking forward to some pics of the road bike.
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro