Back after a few years. Plating 2 stroke?

Started by Cjones, January 15, 2018, 09:27:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cjones

Hey all. It does feel good to be back since I live right in the BH.  I was here with a KLR a few years ago, but now looking into a small caliber dirt bike in the 250-300-ish range.

I've been looking to trade my Samurai off and I'm entertaining a TE250 which is already street legal so that would be an easy answer, and possibly a YZ250, which of course is not, and it's a 2 stroke.  Since I have not purchased a dedicated dirt machine for many years I'm curious what I would need to do to get her plated if I go this route. I have read that SD is the easiest state to do it in. I know about the light/horn/blinker kits and cush hubs so I dont tear it to pieces, but legally what must I do and will it being a 2 stroke eff that plan up?  I'm not going far and really dont want to invest in a truck or trailer just to go a couple miles down the road and hop between trails within the black hills. 

Do these dedicated dirt machines come with titles, my last ATV was also bill of sale only?  I have read that all I have to do is show title, sign an affidavit that I installed the street gear on it and I'm good to go, is it reeeeally that simple? Seems like I may be missing something here. Which insurance companies will entertain such a thing? I'm not optimistic that mine will.
Guidance appreciated!

Thanks!!

06 KTM 250 XC-W
99 Vmax
89 Venture Royale

Hank

In SD its easy to plate offroad bikes, but in my experience titling them is a different story.   They are very anal about having an established chain of ownership all the way back to the original purchase.    If the original owner titled it and the title has followed the bike, its easy.   If there is no title (or MSO) I think you'll have a hard time.   I could be wrong on this point, but I think even if you get the MSO, SD will want to establish chain of ownership all the way back to the beginning, so you'd need to have the original dealer bill of sale and probably something that can link you back to that owner, so either a bill of sale for every sale its been through, or you'd have to fabricate one which I don't think would be a good plan (I think that could get you in serious trouble).

But yes, if you have a title, you fill out an affidavit and boom you are street legal.     I think most of us that have plated two strokes have a mirror, headlight and a plate and maybe a brake light if we are feeling real safety conscious.   

If you have an MSO and chain of ownership and the MSO doesn't say "off road only"  - like a KTM or Beta for example, you might make a mistake and tell the treasurer's office that its a genuine street legal motorcycle and then you'll have a street title for a 2 stroke dirt bike.    That would be an awful mistake though.   If you don't make that error and you say "its a dirt bike", your title will come back as a "street legal ATV", which I suppose could be disadvantageous if SD ever decides to quit allowing that.

Maybe its possible to get a plate without a title, but I don't think it is.    I have a friend from MN, who washed and destroyed the title and paperwork for a street bike he just bought, and he was never able to get it titled, but weirdly enough MN would still give him a plate.    I thought that was real strange, and I don't think its the case in SD.

I don't claim to be an expert, but these are things I've learned through the process.   Hopefully someone else will chime in.

Lonesome Dave

If you don't have a title, and can't follow the ownership back to the previous person or persons, give it up.  If you can follow it backwards, then you will at least an affidavit signed by each previous owner, and even then I'm not sure if that will work.  BUT......I believe you can title a motor vehicle is the state of Vermont and not live there.  Once you have that complete, you transfer it to SD and your golden.  There are threads out there on this subject.  TW200forum for one.

Keep in mind, although its not really enforced in SD, you can't legally buy or sell a MV without a title.  I managed to get this done a few years ago on a TW200.
It was twenty years old, but it only changed hands two times.  And, the guy I bought it from kind of knew the original owner.  I contacted the original owner in WY and they were nice enough to help me.  They still had the MSO and had never titled it either.  I paid they're late fees and they titled it in WY and then signed it directly over to me.  Then I transferred it to me in SD.  I got very lucky. 

I had it for awhile, sold to Loingrader and it went to Zambia where it now lives.
Older - Wiser - Faster !

Cjones

This is great information and exactly what I needed.  I just spoke to the owner of one of the YZs, I believe he has a NE title in his name. He will send me a picture of said title and I'll show it to a guy at the DMV just to be sure. I was there today to get tabs for my car and I asked him about it. Pretty much said what I have heard, sign an affidavit and checklist professing that I have added the street bits and then I get a plate.  I just didnt imagine it would really be that easy, but it appears it really is pretty simple. 

Even if I trade for the TE, I'm seriously thinking about grabbing one of these YZs also.  I'm just old enough that the succulent aroma of premix and the angry scream of a 2 stroke makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up. 

Last time I went on a ride with members here was a long time ago and the KLR was a bit bulky and obese, but fun! I'm really looking forward to doing it again.  Good times.

Thanks gents!!

Oh yea, I took this pic in 09 on a group ride, my KLR is all the way right. I do miss that bike.

06 KTM 250 XC-W
99 Vmax
89 Venture Royale

Cjones

Figured rather than making a new thread I would just update this one.  Never got the YZ although I am entertaining an offer on one, it doesn't look likely I'll be going that route anytime soon.

I did pick up that 06 KTM XC-W 250 2-stroke outright, deal was done today  It's already been plated so that part is over, just going down to transfer title, grab my plates and add it to my insurance.  I will be ready for the thaw and look forward to riding with a few others in the hills.  I can hardly wait!!

THANK YOU to Hank for putting Ryan and I in touch. It was the right bike at the right price.

06 KTM 250 XC-W
99 Vmax
89 Venture Royale