News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Value opinions, 2011 YZ250

Started by Cjones, January 17, 2018, 08:47:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cjones

So much conflicting info depending on where I look.  From what I can tell it's probably worth ~$2500-3000 but I see as low as 1700 and as high as 5500.

I think it has 18 hrs and 4 hrs on the top end, FMF fatty and V3 reed.  It's said to be up on maintenance. Would like to know approximately what fair market value might be before I decide if I'm going to need a little boot cash or not.

I'll be taking it in on trade for something that may be more valuable, not sure if its fair to ask for some boot cash too.

Thanks.
06 KTM 250 XC-W
99 Vmax
89 Venture Royale

Hank

Quote from: Cjones on January 17, 2018, 08:47:51 PM
So much conflicting info depending on where I look.  From what I can tell it's probably worth ~$2500-3000 but I see as low as 1700 and as high as 5500.

I think it has 18 hrs and 4 hrs on the top end, FMF fatty and V3 reed.  It's said to be up on maintenance. Would like to know approximately what fair market value might be before I decide if I'm going to need a little boot cash or not.

I'll be taking it in on trade for something that may be more valuable, not sure if its fair to ask for some boot cash too.

Thanks.
I'm no help there, but I gotta ask if you've ever ridden a KTM or Beta 300?  If you're planning on trail riding, might be more suited.   Just throwing that out there :)

Sent from my Altair 8800

Cjones

I went to scope out a KTM 300 2 stroke at Rice Cycle yesterday, I didn't get to ride it or even throw a leg over as the bikes were so close together. I figure that is to keep people off (wouldn't blame em'), but maybe it's just that they do have a large inventory.  I was going to ask a sales person to roll it forward so I could get a feel for it.  After several minutes of ogling at it and several nearby sales staff not acknowledging my presence I decided to skip it. Good thing I did, that bike was calling out to me in a big way.  I am saving for a couple acres/fixer home so saving that money is more consistent with my priorities right now.

Ideally I can trade something cool that I rarely use (modded Samurai) for something cool that I would use often (suitable 250+ zinger, or?).  The above mentioned 11 YZ250 is being offered by a serious buyer out of state, willing to bring the bike here and take the Samurai back, but before he makes the trek I would like to make sure I'm not trading down or cheating him. I suspect I should see a little boot cash in this case but it's important to me that I'm being fair.

From what I'm reading, your suggestion is spot-on and I'm sure I'll end up with a KTM 300 at some point in time. Damn near ended up with a new one yesterday  ;D.  I gotta stay off showroom floors just as I stay out of the Snap-on truck.

06 KTM 250 XC-W
99 Vmax
89 Venture Royale

Bogus Jim

I've come across a couple YZ's on the trails here, but no idea what the used ones go for. NADA says a low of $2k and average retail of $2,700 so 2,500-3,000 is probably in the ballpark.

A popular mod is swapping in the WRF 3rd and 5th gearset; if he's already done that mod, the bike would be a little better suited for woods riding.

Hank

Pretty sure Ryan plans to sell his KTM 250 xcw..I'll ping him

Sent from my Altair 8800

KLC63

In my experience the YZ250 would not be very trail friendly, let alone making it street legal. The 5 speed tight ratio transmission would be tough in tight sections, and if geared down for that would struggle on the highways and faster county roads used to get to the trails. I'm not saying it's impossible, just not as multi purpose as a wide ratio 6 speed. KTM and Beta and Husky make great 6 speed two strokes. There are also a lot of 6 speed four strokes that will do very well. Food for thought.
THE OLDER I GET, THE FASTER I WAS.

Lonesome Dave

Older - Wiser - Faster !

Cjones

Quote from: KLC63 on January 18, 2018, 07:57:25 PM
In my experience the YZ250 would not be very trail friendly, let alone making it street legal. The 5 speed tight ratio transmission would be tough in tight sections, and if geared down for that would struggle on the highways and faster county roads used to get to the trails. I'm not saying it's impossible, just not as multi purpose as a wide ratio 6 speed. KTM and Beta and Husky make great 6 speed two strokes. There are also a lot of 6 speed four strokes that will do very well. Food for thought.
What your saying makes a lot of sense. I would have never thought of gear ratios being that different but it makes sense considering how different MX and trail riding is. I knew the YZ would be crappy on the street and I sure wouldn't tempt highway use for more than a moment or two. luckily I live within a few minutes of some pretty darn nice places to ride.  If taking a YZ is the only way I can get this Samurai into the hands of someone who will enjoy it then I'll do so. Watching it just sit here stings a bit.  I think I am going to heed your advice and adjust my expectations about how appropriate a YZ might be for what I want to do and see if I cant pick up something orange-ish. 

I'm not closed off to a 4 stroke but I have a really heavy leaning toward two strokes for reasons of cost, maintenance, weight, grin factor and simplicity.  I know modern 4 strokes are  pretty amazing but something about a 2 stroke stirs my soul.  I would sure consider the right 4 stroke, someone was offering up a TE250 but I believe they may have lost interest.

Quote from: Hank on January 18, 2018, 05:04:30 PM
Pretty sure Ryan plans to sell his KTM 250 xcw..I'll ping him

Sent from my Altair 8800

Yes, please do. I just googled that and it looks like a pretty appropriate machine.  I would be interested in the particulars if it is available for sale.  Even if not for trade I could be interested in an outright purchase.

Worst case is I end up with a YZ and an XCW, I guess worse things have happened to nicer guys!  8)

Once again, thank you for the well formulated responses. I'm really glad I asked.
06 KTM 250 XC-W
99 Vmax
89 Venture Royale

sandhillrider

Yz250x is 2 stroke with wide ratio transmission. Starting to see a few used ones around.
Yz250fx is wide ratio 4 stroke.

sandhillrider

Looking for trail capable older 2 stroke?  kdx200 or 220... Maybe to old school
But cheap to own and will cruse down highway some.

Cjones

Quote from: sandhillrider on January 18, 2018, 10:04:06 PM
Looking for trail capable older 2 stroke?  kdx200 or 220... Maybe to old school
But cheap to own and will cruse down highway some.

I stumbled across a 99 KX250, I'm going to have to find some spec sheets and compare ratios between the YZ and other more trail oriented bikes. I'm sort of looking forward to hearing about this KTM Hank mentioned.  I'm really leaning towards the orange stuff, even though I'll most likely end up with a YZ also, so long as the buyer is willing to sweeten the pot to get near what I'm needing for the Samurai.

I'm prepared to cash out an previously enjoyed XCW KTM if the price is right, I know I'm going to use the hell out of it.
06 KTM 250 XC-W
99 Vmax
89 Venture Royale

Bogus Jim

Gearing commander is a good site for comparing gear ratios.

http://www.gearingcommander.com

With the flywheel weight and WRF gears mod, I think the YZ would be OK. That's a bit of work though. I have a 250 XCW, great bike for single track.

Hank

Ryan should be checking in soon with details on his 250.    Pretty sure its got a fresh motor and suspension dialed in by Pro-tune.  its a nice bike.

Cjones

I hope its not TOO new or nice or it might require another payday to go by   8)

Thanks for following up on this, looking forward to learning the specifics.
06 KTM 250 XC-W
99 Vmax
89 Venture Royale

Cjones

Quote from: Hank on January 19, 2018, 08:08:14 PM
Ryan should be checking in soon with details on his 250.    Pretty sure its got a fresh motor and suspension dialed in by Pro-tune.  its a nice bike.

Yes, he did.  We had a good conversation, sounds like the bike already has all the work done that I would have considered.  I did a bit of reading and it looks like this bike is cut out for exactly what I want to use it for.  The right bike at the right price, it looks like a go!  The darn thing is already plated too.

Thanks very much for putting us in touch. Also thanks to everyone who posted all the good information regarding the different setups.  It's hard to overstate the importance of having the right tool for the job.

Thanks all!!
06 KTM 250 XC-W
99 Vmax
89 Venture Royale