News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Spring trip, First week of April

Started by greatbuffalo, February 09, 2018, 04:01:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greatbuffalo

What big bike are you riding these days Hank?

I was thinking if we did a big bike tour we could do a tour of the National parks in Utah, At least the ones in the southern part and down to Lake Powell.

I will work in earnest over the next couple of days with some semblance of a plan.
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

Hank

Wacked

I'm out for any spring ride.....

Just put the final touches on an "end of April" family trip that will include lite 4-wheeling in Moab. 

Wacked

KLC63

THE OLDER I GET, THE FASTER I WAS.

Robmicgrn

Quote from: sprout on February 13, 2018, 07:48:45 AM
Try this one. It is well worth the stop!

http://www.ksmotorcyclemuseum.org/

I was there last year. Very cool! I posted some pics of it on here somewhere i thought.
"You don't know how fast you can go till you crash"

greatbuffalo

Okay so here is the idea.

Subject to changes due to others with better ideas and all are tentative.

I will leave Friday March 30th and trailer out.  Arrive on the 31st. One thing I am trying to figure out is where to park and leave vehicles. If anyone has ideas let me know.

Ride big bike ride from April 1st through 5th or 6th.

My idea is to visit some of the  National parks. Arches, Canyonlands, Capital Reef, Bryce, Zion, Escalante-Grand Staircase National Monument, Goblin Valley State Park, Deadhorse Point State Park.

We can do as many of these or as few as we want. I am exploring back road and gravel routes in and around these parks to get off the road most traveled. Some of these will have challenges but trying to find routes that are not too challenging. I don't want to work too hard on the big pig.

The accommodations will be tent. Camping will be in campgrounds or dispersed, depending on where we are and what is available.

I am also planning on taking a little bike and spend a couple days riding trail before I return home. I really do not have to return home till April 11th. My only concern is how much time Nathaniel can take off. 

So, If he can take off till the may be able to take some a couple more days on the big bike tour and still have a few days for little bike play.

So, Let me know if you have any ideas.

I am a very very flexible guy.  I do not like to make hard and fast plans and like my trips to fluid and organic. Ride the day with a pland and over dinner ar at camp look at maps and make plans for the next day.I will come up with a rough plan but that will be subject to change with the whim of the group.

sandhillrider

Heifers calve March 20, done by March 30. Cows start calving April 12.
Let's see if the stars align and let me pull off a trip between March 30 and April 10!!!
Will prep Tenere, and hope!

greatbuffalo

That would be awesome Mark.

Was hoping you would chime in but thought it a bad time of year for you.

Would love to have you along.

greatbuffalo

Just ordered a bunch of maps and a couple books the day before yesterday. Will have a good look at those and devise a route using some of the roads I have seen on youtube. There are some amazing roads out there. Its a matter of linking them together into a cohesive route.

Still looking for input and wondering still if anyone has an idea of where to park trucks and trailers.  Someone mentions the Park service has some large parking lots that they ask people to park trailers in when they tour the park. I will call arches to see if they would allow us to park there for an extended length of time. I also thought about one of the BLM trail head parking lots but not sure how safe they would be.

The other option would be to find someone in Moab or the vicinity that would allow them to me parked for a nominal charge
I know one of the campgrounds has trailer parking but I assume that is for guests

I am also going to put a post on ADV for that area to see if someone in that area has idea or someone else.

I will figure it out in time. Its a month away

BTW, I will be staying till the 11th

greatbuffalo

Just posted a thread on the Rocky Mountains section of ADV. We will see if I get any response

greatbuffalo

Touched base with Scott (Dingweed on ADV) who owns 3 Step Hideaway in LaSal Utah.  it's a bit SE of Moab on the CO and UT boarder. Its off the grid and offers camping and cabins. Sounds like a great place.

http://www.3stephideaway.com/index.php

My plan is to use this as a meeting place and spend the first night there. We can then take off from there on our adventure and leave our trucks and trailers there. They will be safe and out of the way. Talked to another guy on the forum that did this as well and it worked out quite well.

My plan is to return here and stay for a few more days before returning home riding small bike terrain.

This is one moth away and would like to get a estimate on who is in.

I am also still open for ideas if anyone wants to share them.

sandhillrider

You know my situation, won't know till departure day
but should have a idea by the 25th or so.
So I'm a maybe at best. Will start talking to the cows tomorrow!!

greatbuffalo

I do understand your situation fully. I am just trying to get an idea how many are at least seriously thinking about this. This will determine how much effort I continue to put into this and will let me know what to pass on toe Scott at 3 Step Hideaway.

I would love those conversations with the bovine.   :D

Hank

I doubt it will work for me this year.   I could probably get away for 4 days or so, but with the drive distance I think that puts me "out".

greatbuffalo

No worries Hank. Thank for letting me know.