News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

casual BH day ride, local trails?

Started by Cjones, March 06, 2018, 06:40:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cjones

I know its a couple (few) weeks early but Im going to throw this out there and see if anyone might be game.  Im looking to take my 250 XCW 2-stroke out around the local trails at the first real thaw.  I just got the bike and have yet to even ride it. I walk past it every day and the anticipation is killing me! I already have plates, reg and insurance, should be enough to legally connect the trails anyway but im sure its pretty far from a competent street bike.

What I have in mind would be an afternoon with some mild/moderate trails, nothing crazy or intense, just trying to get used to the bike and probably get the jetting dialed in.  I live very near Hisega and thought it might be fun to meet up with someone with more knowledge of the trails.  Again, im old-ish around the edges and bike is new to me so looking to take it somewhat easy as I get used to her and being offroad again.

My schedule is pretty wide open after the first week of each month. Exact date would be tentative of course pending weather and trail condition.  Just thought I would see about other casual trail riders that maybe interested. Anyone up for it when the time comes?
06 KTM 250 XC-W
99 Vmax
89 Venture Royale

Fletch

the trails don't officially open until May 15 (?). so don't get caught. also remember that just because the prairie is thawed the hills may not be, specially in shaded areas. Other than that I am ready to ride as well. Have you been on most of the single track yet or not? There is a lot of fun stuff and I am free most nights/weekends so let me know..
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

Cjones

I have not taken a dirt bike into the hills since the 80s, other than a ride or two with the boys here on my KLR several years back.   I have had my Samurai out a few places but nothing like I know exists, I know there is a metric butt-ton of single track that I have not been privvy to.  Single track and fire roads were in head when I decided on this type of bike.   Do Farmingdale and Nemo fall under these rules too?

I recall that date for trails now that you mention it, I'm not in a hurry to break the regs although I know the chances of actually getting caught are minimal.   Are there fire roads or anything remotely fun that can be legally accessed before trail opening date, anything at all off pavement?

Thanks for the response.  Im ready just as soon as there is somewhere to go and weather permits.

Thanks!

06 KTM 250 XC-W
99 Vmax
89 Venture Royale

Fletch

most of the fire roads are open, once the ice is gone you can ride those. I would just take a look at the map they give you with the permit and it should have all the info on it.
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

Cjones

IIRC the FS provides not only a paper map but also a map that can be uploaded to Garmin with all the legal trails. I suppose the fire trails should be included as well. Maybe time to dust off that 60CSX and get it mounted.   I uploaded one into my Samurai a few years ago and the first thing I noticed was all the cool directions that are apparently not part of the trail system.  I hope they have expanded the system a bit in the last few years, but back then I was not looking for single track. Even most of the ATV trails were off limits to me.

Once my driveway thaws enough to get a bike out to 44 west then there is a good chance the hills are pretty thawed.  Ill be watching closely and with much anticipation.
06 KTM 250 XC-W
99 Vmax
89 Venture Royale

Bogus Jim

Farmingdale is open year round, it might be dry enough already. It's a ways to haul the bike but a nice option for cabin fever, or "new bike" fever.   ;)

Cjones

Quote from: Bogus Jim on March 07, 2018, 03:42:31 PM
Farmingdale is open year round, it might be dry enough already. It's a ways to haul the bike but a nice option for cabin fever, or "new bike" fever.   ;)

Thanks for that.  I have both fevers, and the normal street bike related illnesses that make me a dumpster fire this close to spring.  I have no way to transport a bike currently but Im about to throw a hitch on my antiquated Lexus sedan and buy a trailer.  Its plated/insured but I wouldnt even dream of riding that far.  I think Farmingdale is a swell idea!
06 KTM 250 XC-W
99 Vmax
89 Venture Royale

Lonesome Dave

Well I have an idea...............This Saturday is DDSR breakfast.  If your itching to go riding, then one of the best therapy's is to talk about riding and bikes!

So we do this breakfast thing the second Saturday of the month, usually at Cambell Street Cafe (behind Kmart) on (wait for it)....Cambell Street, at 0900 hours.

Now you have a special invitation and you will have to come.  There's usually 5 or 6 people that show up, but we've had as many as 25 in the past.  This week I'd expect 6 to 8.  Only if Wacked and Sue get un-sick enough to attend.  See you there.  Or, see the breakfast thread under general topics.  LD
Older - Wiser - Faster !

Cjones

I cant decline a special invite, but im working until Tuesday or Wednesday this time.  Its a 24/7 assignment. Usually im done by the second Sat so ill be sure to hit it next time.   Ill keep an eye on the thread.

Thanks!
06 KTM 250 XC-W
99 Vmax
89 Venture Royale

Cjones

Figured I would kick this in the pants again as the time draws near.  I have managed to get it fairly well dialed in and no less stoked than before.  By the time I'm done working this week it'll be only a few days until the trails open.  Im still down for some casual trail riding before the ralley,  I would like to be better acquainted with the bike before riding in a large group.

While I was playing with jets and needles I did get her out on 44w for a mile or so, pretty aweful on the pavement!  I see some 80/20 or 90/10 tires in my future.  Luckily I dont have to go far at all to get some dirt.  Sadly I work much of the first two weeks of each month and have not been able to attend the lunches or meet anyone,  I did make a point of blacking out my availability for the ralley so that I could attend.  Been really looking forward to this, even with the KLR it was a great time.  Im counting the days.
06 KTM 250 XC-W
99 Vmax
89 Venture Royale