News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

tent for the rally?

Started by locopny, March 28, 2018, 10:08:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

locopny

got looking around for a tent to replace my old trusty that isn't so trusty anymore.  Think Titanic with the multiple holes along the bottom.  Saw this pop up at wally world for a reasonable price but have zero experience with the brand aside from the mummy bag I bought to sleep in the truck one night this last winter with a breakdown in a wally world parking lot...convenient atleast.

This tent here. 
Anyone have an opinion on them?  Hate to get a Redverz solo expedition when I'm planning to get a trailer in the near future...just not in time for the rally. 

As Hank posted in the sign up...it can be damp in June.  Hate to see what wet/soaked looks like.
87 XL600R 89 CBR600R
'17 CRF1000L
When can I go riding again? Crashing sucks!

Lonesome Dave

I know someone in our local BMW group that is selling a pretty nice tent for cheap.  It's not a 2 man, but it is a good tent.  PM me if your interested and I'll get you in touch with them.

I bought a USED REI Dome something or other a year or two ago.  $65 bucks, 75 with shipping.  Anyway, I started searching Craigslist and found one in Montana.
searchtempest.com   I'm very happy with it, especially at the price! 
Older - Wiser - Faster !

greatbuffalo

Keep an eye on ADV Rider. There is always good deals on tents.
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

Kevin

Look ahead and you'll shred...

grubbie

I have a Kelty Salida from Cabelas, more expensive but kept me dry two nights in the rain. My travelling partner had an Ozark Trail from Walmart, 1/3 the price,.....he was dry as well. Seems to be a decent product.

Osnabrock

I wouldnt suggest a tent that doesn't have a dedicated rainfly, like the one you posted. My opinion is to look for a tent that has a rainfly that covers the tent body all the way to the ground. 
"Don't be scared, it's fun.  I'll cheer you on."

Abercrombie

Quote from: Osnabrock on March 29, 2018, 09:56:30 PM
I wouldnt suggest a tent that doesn't have a dedicated rainfly, like the one you posted. My opinion is to look for a tent that has a rainfly that covers the tent body all the way to the ground.

The highlights say it has a full rain fly for weather protection and it appears to cover all the way to the ground.  For a $50.00 tent it sure has a lot of great reviews.  I wouldn't expect that much quality from a four man tent at that price but the reviews sure make it look like its worth $50.00.

Osnabrock

I guess what I meant to say was that I'd suggest looking for a tent that has a dedicated, full coverage, rain fly.  I've not had much success with "single wall" tents, like the one you're looking at, for moto camping.  A single wall tent is just a glorified tarp and, while tarps can be great, I'd not recommend them without understanding their limitations. 
I'd rely on a "single wall" tent or tarp for lightweight camping but I strongly prefer a conventional tent with dedicated rainfly for moto camping.
"Don't be scared, it's fun.  I'll cheer you on."

locopny

I appreciate the input fellas.

I now have my folks thinking of getting a trailer for them...as long as I pull it for them.  I think that really means helping me get a trailer.  I'm on the fence for the tent I posted.  Its cheap enough...and now I really don't think I want to spend a ton on a tent if I'm ending up with a trailer to use.  I understand the rain fly is quite important.  I've been fortunate to date to really not ever need one while tenting.  But to be fair, Ive only tented in the southwest.
87 XL600R 89 CBR600R
'17 CRF1000L
When can I go riding again? Crashing sucks!