News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Black Hills Ride

Started by loingrader, August 07, 2008, 03:04:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

loingrader

I'd like to head to the hills on the klr one more time before the snow flies.  thinking the weekend of sept 20th, or there abouts. 

probably head out to rapid thursday night, ride hard friday and saturday and head back good time sunday.

does this weekend or any around the same time work for anyone else? 

thinking of sticking to creekbeds, rock gardens, and wet clay if at all possible.  should be fun.

-bret
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

Hank

I was just discussing a Sept trip out with some other guys.   I think that would be excellent.
I'll see how it works into my and a few friends schedules.

I'm hoping we can find a road from home to the Hills that consists of nothing but wet clay.

fringefan

I am leaving later in the week but I might be able to get away for a day or two. I can at least ride Fri while the wife is at work ;D

keep me posted on the dates

LittleJacket

I will do my best to attend!  Sounds like a fall foliage ride if I've ever heard of one.  Let's skip the wet clay and rocks this time because I am scared of that stuff!  I like interstates and traffic now, and frankly, didn't have that much fun at the DDS Rally.  The rocks were too hard for my liking.  I'm thinking of trading in the KLR for something that only rides on the streets because I have found that interstates kick ass!  Plus, the vibration of a big Harley feels good on my pussy! We should all convert and change the name to the Dakota Interstate Riders!  Just Kidding! ;)   
rpjohnso

The Yeti

Quote from: loingrader on August 07, 2008, 03:04:56 PM

thinking of sticking to creekbeds, rock gardens, and wet clay if at all possible.  should be fun.

-bret

:o I'm out.
"You want me to ride up THAT?!"

loingrader

ok promo, i don't want you to be out.  we can keep the trails ktmable. 

as much as you ride out there in the dirt, you will be a semi pro dually before long and will be showing us all up on your katoom. 

-bret
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

Hank

As I'm thinking about going out again, I'm thinking I have to conquer that big badass downhill that we encountered on the last day - the one on the trail from the top of strawberry to Whistler's Gulch (Ryan, Brian, James, and I).   

You know, the one where shortly after my fender broke and I almost wrecked and fell 6000 feet to my death.   :o OK, maybe that's an exaggeration...but it seemed like it. 

Alan - do some recon for me.  Find out if you can get the KTM up that hill!     Go through Whistler's Gulch campground and out the back, and keep going.   You'll know the hill when you see it!!!!

The Yeti

Seriously, I can't tell when you guys are joking or not...maybe I'm just a bit dim. I don't want to hold anyone back from having fun, if you guys really want to do rocks & mud, knock yourselves out! We can ride together another day!  :)  I think Bret was joking, but you can never be sure on these boards...

Quote from: Jason H. on August 11, 2008, 10:06:40 AM
As I'm thinking about going out again, I'm thinking I have to conquer that big badass downhill that we encountered on the last day - the one on the trail from the top of strawberry to Whistler's Gulch (Ryan, Brian, James, and I).   

You know, the one where my shortly after my fender broke and I almost wrecked and fell 6000 feet to my death.   :o OK, maybe that's an exaggeration...but it seemed like it. 

Alan - do some recon for me.  Find out if you can get the KTM up that hill!     Go through Whistler's Gulch campground and out the back, and keep going.   You'll know the hill when you see it!!!!

So, let me get this straight...you almost died on this hill, yet you want me to go tackle it solo just so you can know if it's possible?! Okay, where's Whistler's Gulch?  :)  Stay tuned for pics of my face plant!!

Hank

LOL it's not that bad.   It is pretty steep though, but doable.
Whistler's gulch is the campground right outside Deadwood (the one w/ the go-kart track).   If you ride into the campground, and go waaaay to the back of it, the trail leaves from there.    It's a very, very cool trail (except for the one terrifying hill)   :o

I'm pretty sure Bret was kidding about wanting to ride rock gardens and wet clay all weekend.   If he wasn't he might be kinda lonely!   

The Yeti

Isn't that Deadwood Gulch with the go-kart track? I'll find it next weekend and let you know how it goes!

loingrader

yea alan.  you experienced the rocks, and how fun they were.  if you would have been on that wet muddy clay crap we rode on out in the badlands, you would have known that i was just being stupid about wanting to ride on those surfaces again. 

not bad for a little bit (definately makes one a better rider), but it can get pretty old after awhile. 

everything in moderation. 

-bret

so are we on for that weekend?  what about digs?  fish and fry said they may be closed for the season by then. 

The Yeti

I'm in! Probably will just camp Friday night if everyone is leaving early Sunday. Not sure where to stay, Fish 'n Fry is gonna be closed? That sucks...

The Yeti

Quote from: loingrader on August 11, 2008, 02:22:59 PM
not bad for a little bit (definately makes one a better rider), but it can get pretty old after awhile. 

I think the only thing that I learned was that I hate riding on rock gardens!  :o

Hank

This is the hill here.   It looks a lot steeper in person than it does in this picture.
James is smiling because he didn't wreck his Beemer, either that or that is a look of terror frozen onto his face.

Hank