News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Searching.....

Started by grubbie, April 11, 2018, 08:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grubbie

Kinda looking around for an affordable (ok, cheap) DRZ 400, if you happen to come across one in your area let me know? Thanks.

Lonesome Dave

Here ya go Buddy, ask and you shall receive!
Here's 58 of them;

https://motorcyclegraph.com/usa/suzuki/drz400#s=y
Older - Wiser - Faster !

grubbie

Thanks.
I looked at that one in Butte already, that would be perfect but 7 hours away. I was thinking there might be a chance someone on the way to the rally might know of one and we could deal on hauling it. Plus I would have someone I could trust to look it over. Not an emergency, the search continues.

sandhillrider

Son is collecting DRZ's he is now up to 3 bikes and 4 engines.
Do you want one with a engine? We could roll you down Custer Peak.
Seems that there are a bunch for sale around here all with blown engines.
His is built with a big bore and the wide ratio gears and it  dropped a valve last week after 8000 miles so his doesn't run either.

grubbie

Quote from: sandhillrider on April 18, 2018, 04:13:10 PM
Son is collecting DRZ's he is now up to 3 bikes and 4 engines.
Do you want one with a engine? We could roll you down Custer Peak.
Seems that there are a bunch for sale around here all with blown engines.
His is built with a big bore and the wide ratio gears and it  dropped a valve last week after 8000 miles so his doesn't run either.
So.......you are suggesting I look at a different bike, or just make sure I get one with an extra engine? If I break down will you tow me with your R2?

sandhillrider

DRZ is a great bike just don't buy one from a farm kid in Nebraska.
Think most of these bikes have had oil problems. Lots of wear in head where cams run.
Our machinist is going to try cutting down camshaft cap, making a hole in side of head opposite the factory hole so he can line bore one and see if we can save some heads.
My guess is no oil changes, dirty air filters, and maybe not replacing the o rings on oil filter if it has them. Most here have never seen a dry sump
and getting the right amount of oil in motor may also be a cause.
If I was buying a used one I would want to know its history. John my son put oversized piston, big valves, cams and the wide ratio gears in his.
He loves the bike that way but just dropped a valve at 8000 miles, when you put in those top end mods it may cut down on the life of engine but everything but valve look like new.
I will be sure and add a tow rope to my tool kit just for you.

Hank

Yeah I think with normal maintenance and sane usage they are pretty bullet proof.   I had just under 20k on my S model and it ran like new.  I've seen some out there with a lot more.

Sent from my Altair 8800

grubbie

Just thought I would like to check one out but don't want to buy new. Thought it might be a good option for a half-way point between the R2, which I love but always want more power, and the DR650, which I love but is a bit cumbersome. If I like it I might buy a newer one. Rode NDave's last year for an hour or so and it felt like it might be a good fit for my riding ability. Not a big deal if I don't find one, Just keeping my eyes open and thought I would ask if anyone knew of a screamin deal.

sandhillrider

John is always watching for DRZ's for sale. If he finds a good one i will let you know.
I did not mean to imply they all had trouble, just these abused ones.
They are a great bike.
Loaned him my R2 he hates it.😊 He says no power and sounds like it is going to blow up at 35mph.
Told him to ride it like a old man or walk.
May be you should look at one of those red bikes, they sure seem popular with the mover and shakers in the group........

grubbie

I came REALLY close to buying a new orange bike, the wife was even trying to talk me into it (That's probably what ruined it, not as much fun if you have permission). It's just a lot more bike than I need at this point, and more cash than I want to part with. I will just putt along behind everyone, eating dust and keeping my front wheel firmly on the ground. I'm thinking in a couple years I will be on a Trail 90 anyway. I can put a sidecar on it for Heidi.

Lonesome Dave

Older - Wiser - Faster !

Kevin

Beta had test rides in Caliente NV a couple of weeks ago.  I road a 2018 390 RR-S, it was light, power everywhere, fuel injected, electric start, street legal, Voyager gps, very nice folding mirrors, pretty sweet, it may have to become #7 in my fleet!  That said, I remind my wife occasionally of the formula to determine the appropriate number of motorcycles to own, N + 1, "N" representing the number of motorcycles currently owned!  She just smiles, she knows I am hopeless! 

I ordered my 2015 300 RR new through the BYOB site, https://www.betausa.com/content/welcome-byob , with a small deposit and options to have all the desired farkle installed you can't beat it. 

Look ahead and you'll shred...

tannerc

"Retreat, hell! We're not retreating, we're just advancing in a different direction."

tannerc

"Retreat, hell! We're not retreating, we're just advancing in a different direction."

Lonesome Dave

Grubbie, lets go to Omaha.  I'll be a third of the way tomorrow meeting Cadet.
Older - Wiser - Faster !