News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Getting plates for dirt bike in SD

Started by sandhillrider, April 25, 2018, 02:03:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandhillrider

Kid that works for me has xr250r and wants to come out to rally.
He has title so where does he go for SD plates?
I read what Hank wrote in cjones 2 stroke thread so I assume it gets atv plates.
Does he need to be there in person?
Thanks for the help.

Cjones

Just roll on into the DMV with the title.  Mine was previously plated so I had to do nothing other than get another plate, but I understand if it has never been plated before he might have to sign an affidavit or something stating that he put lights/horn/mirrors on it.  I guess they dont even inspect.  Mine is plated now and the insurance through State Farm is a whopping $22/year.  If I get pulled over (If I allow them to pull me over) I'm all legit.  Pretty simple system for putting a dedicated nasty obnoxious dirt bike right onto the pavement.
06 KTM 250 XC-W
99 Vmax
89 Venture Royale

sandhillrider

We're in Nebraska but it looks like it works about the same.
Just don't want to drive to Rapid and find we have wrong paperwork along.
He could probably get through rally with no plate
but might be safer to do it right.

Cjones

Quote from: sandhillrider on April 25, 2018, 08:21:59 PM
We're in Nebraska but it looks like it works about the same.
Just don't want to drive to Rapid and find we have wrong paperwork along.
He could probably get through rally with no plate
but might be safer to do it right.

I avoid Rapid City unless I have a very good reason to go. It's getting to be quite a mess. If you hit DMV in the morning you should be able to get in and out without burning to much time. I think I read about plates being required for participation in the rides. I'm sure the host can shed more light on that. I read that NE is one of the few easy states to plate a dirt bike. If you can do it in NE then you wont have to endure Rapid City traffic.
06 KTM 250 XC-W
99 Vmax
89 Venture Royale

loingrader

I would get a trail sticker and call it good.  I doubt SD will give you plates for a NE titled bike.  If NE won't either I wouldnt worry.  I dont know if anyone has gotten pulled over by law enforcement at any of our rallys..

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

Hank

SD won't give you plates unless it's a SD title, that much is for sure.  I'm with Brett.  Get stickers and wing it, at your own risk of course :)

Bogus Jim

Without a plate, my advice would be ride in a group on the highway and stay in the middle of the group... less conspicuous that way.

Coming into Nemo once, I passed a sheriff in the opposite lane. My KTM has a number plate up front, not headlight, so quite obviously not legal, but he didn't stop me. Guessing he had somewhere else to be.

sandhillrider

Thanks for the info.
South Dakota will let you get a SD title and plates while living n Nebraska.
There's a group of TTR250 riders about 20
Miles from me and they all have SD plates because
Nebraska will not plate a dirt bike. I have tried enough that when I go to register something
they give me the evil eye. They were not going to let me register a yellow Tenere
Because it wasn't in there computer and I was trying to pull a fast one again.
Convinced them to call state and turned out I was the first to register a yellow one and they
hadn't added yellow to the database yet.