News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Got Stator issues...AND now gearing.

Started by locopny, May 21, 2018, 12:56:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

locopny

Well my stator went out of course just before the rally.  Any thoughts on either OEM or a Ricks Motorsport Electrics?  I'm sure OEM is still cheap 15 year after the last one I bought on my last bike.  BUT the 3 week slow boat from Japan has me worried.  I can look at Honda tomorrow, but does Ricks make a decent product that I shouldn't worry about?? Loaded question I'm sure...but DO NOT want to miss rally with this bike.  Dennis kirk has one in stock on hand it says.

Last time I did this swap...I had to do the coil like 2 weeks later...should I preempt the failure and replace now or was that a likely coincidence? 

Maybe I'll have the newest 31 year old bike there....
87 XL600R 89 CBR600R
'17 CRF1000L
When can I go riding again? Crashing sucks!

sandhillrider

Used Ricks stuff in a couple 80's KDX's and had no problems.
OEM was no longer available for the old Kawasaki's, would bet you might find that for Honda's too.

locopny

ordered a Ricks....OEM was NLA.

Coil is also ordered.  Really bad timing on this failure.  If I have to I'll bring the parts along to get it installed at camp.
87 XL600R 89 CBR600R
'17 CRF1000L

greatbuffalo

I have also used Rick's and no issues
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

locopny

stator arrived today...gasket hopefully by Friday...would be awesome to test ride this weekend to get the last kinks out.
87 XL600R 89 CBR600R
'17 CRF1000L

Lonesome Dave

Quote from: locopny on May 23, 2018, 11:48:49 PM
stator arrived today...gasket hopefully by Friday...would be awesome to test ride this weekend to get the last kinks out.

Or find more!  Sorry, i couldn't help myself!   ::)
Older - Wiser - Faster !

locopny

stop it!!!! haha

exactly why I want to ride it...I will wake up at the campground 2 weeks from this morning.
87 XL600R 89 CBR600R
'17 CRF1000L

greatbuffalo

Evil Dave, just plain evil  :evil

locopny

Not sure how important it is to have the inside of the flywheel? clean...but I can venture a guess this bike sat awhile and got ?rusty? between the magnets on the stator and the inside of flywheel.  I'm going to steel wool the spots and clean it up...But should I look for another flywheel when I get back?  Maybe I have a lead on one from my dealerships sales man.  Claims to have a few parts blocks for the RHFV motors.
Going together fairly well so far. 

Will see what words of encouragement LD has to say next....haha.
87 XL600R 89 CBR600R
'17 CRF1000L

Osnabrock

I have a leftover flywheel from my '83 or '85 XL600 rebuild.  If you want it, it's yours for the price of postage.   It's heavy but I could probably jam it in a flat rate post office box. 
"Don't be scared, it's fun.  I'll cheer you on."

locopny

Quote from: Osnabrock on May 25, 2018, 02:19:03 PM
I have a leftover flywheel from my '83 or '85 XL600 rebuild.  If you want it, it's yours for the price of postage.   It's heavy but I could probably jam it in a flat rate post office box.

I'll know shortly I think.  Should be able to fire up the beast tomorrow. 
87 XL600R 89 CBR600R
'17 CRF1000L

locopny

Ok...fired up and rode around the block a couple times.  More little issues to tackle.

one of my carbs leak like a float is stuck or something is in the seat allowing a bowl overflow situation.  I should get a lower tooth front sprocket.  May order one tomorrow. 
I'm sure I have the clutch adjusted wrong....new cable, new discs, and original hardware but in specs from manual.

Seems a bit flat off idle...but didn't check timing. or adjust valves.  Maybe carb too seeing it overflows.

Is this something I can run out of it?  run an additive?  Really don't want to tackle a carb disassembly before rally as I'm sure I'll be missing one part.  But hate to run out of fuel too. 

I also discovered I don't have the front tire seated correctly on the rim.  easy fix.

87 XL600R 89 CBR600R
'17 CRF1000L

greatbuffalo

I say, Just turn up the music and ignore it all.  :D

locopny

music?  the exhaust sounds like music.........kinda.
87 XL600R 89 CBR600R
'17 CRF1000L

locopny

Well going from my 15T to a 13T front was a major improvement.  However, it wasn't enough in the big crawls or the long steep descents.  I have a 38T rear and it must change.  48T too much ya think?  Starting off in the middle of a hill just about kills me.  No momentum to overcome the lack of a low first.
87 XL600R 89 CBR600R
'17 CRF1000L