News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Lee - How do you do?

Started by Lee, June 23, 2018, 07:51:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lee

My name is Lee, and I reign from Minneapolis. I am a member of Advrider.com, and I inquired into the black hills for riding and camping. A nice admin turned me onto this site.

I am a late thirties rider. Cross country iron butt rider, single track dirt rider, and cruiser.

I joined this group as I want to head to the bill hills to do some camping, hiking, and riding this summer.

I want to avoid saturation, and get good insider information.

The wife and I will be riding a KTM 690 Enduro, and she will be on G310gs.

We would love any good suggestions.

Abercrombie

Well Lee you just missed out on a great Dakota Dual Sport Riders camp out get together two weeks ago.  We had a great time and there should be another one coming up in September sometime.  Other than that you should be able to find some great riding in the black hills trail system or you can check out the Dakota Adventure Loop at the dakotaadventureloop.com.  I'll be heading out Monday morning to ride the 900 mile plus DakAL with a couple other friends starting out in Spearfish SD.

Cjones

Hey Lee. Welcome.  To my knowledge (limited haha) the best way to find out where you can bring a bike is to visit the Black Hills forest service website and download/view the MVUM maps, same place you get the trail permits. They show all the legal trails and give some indication what sorts of trails they are.  I have been feeling it out some since the rally and looking around for cool places to ride and camp.  I just picked up a new Garmin last week so that I could install the digital trail maps right onto the GPS, it's the easiest way I have found to explore.  Feel free to HMU when your heading this way, not sure how much more I will know than anyone with a map but some riding and maybe camping is usually a good time.
06 KTM 250 XC-W
99 Vmax
89 Venture Royale

ADV Piglet

Welcome!
One of my favorite hikes in the black hills is Hell Canyon just west of Custer. 5-6 mile loop and not crowded like trails around Sylvan Lake (Harney Peak). Lots of riding trails/fireroads around there as well, with camping available in Custer. Or just throw a tent up anywhere in hills if don't require facilities! The information center can give you more information on camping in hills as well.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk