News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

potluck for Friday and Sat??

Started by locopny, September 11, 2018, 01:48:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

locopny

Looking forward to it. 

Hoping to arrive before its real late on Thursday so I can get in a quick ride that afternoon.
87 XL600R 89 CBR600R
'17 CRF1000L
When can I go riding again? Crashing sucks!

Harry Potter

Quote from: Lonesome Dave on September 18, 2018, 08:31:18 PM
Routes;  I have been making some plans for an "Easy Peasy" dual sport ride.  Leaving Nemo (probably Sugar Shack) fairly early.  I have a route planned that will be about 100 miles.  I spent three days last weekend trying to figure things out.  Basically, it will be on the Western Edge of the Black Hills where there's not much trail traffic and not much for gas or food. 

There's an old stagecoach line that runs from Cheyenne to Deadwood.  Once we get into the area, we'll go to a grave site where "Hank Mason" died in 1895, killed by a bear.  From there we'll go find the first of several cabins that were used on the Deadwood Stage.  The cabins were 1 1/2 levels so all the passengers could have a place to sleep for the night.  We'll then follow parts of the stagecoach route to a second cabin.  These old cabins are amazing to still be partially standing.  Definitely some good photo ops and neat history.  Also in the area, we'll go to a unique location where people leave trinkets/mementos on a large rock face.  Woody and I tried finding this several years ago, but had no luck. 

After we get through with this we can make a group decision on where we go from there.  Lookouts, Custer's "String of Pearls" photo site or maybe Miner's Hotel.  (I know some of you have already been to some of these places.)  Gas is going to be a problem for the two gallon guys.  Whacked worked out that problem, where we will gas up early at Mountain Meadows and probably again to return back to Nemo.  Food is out there, but you can be 20 miles from it when your tummy gets hungry.   In other words, plan ahead.

This should be big bike friendly.  Certainly KLR types and down.  Big GS's or even maybe a Honda AT should not have any problems either.  Elisa and I have ridden it two-up on the Tiger with no problem.  But, there will be some seat time at the beginning.  What I want to do is get into the area (way out west), and then do what we want and where we want to come back home.

There will be lots of gravel, but there will also be lots of new country that many of you have not seen.   And, this weekend should be great for fall leaves.

I've talked to several members about this route and all seemed interested.  If anyone gets tired, and wants to bale early, it will be easy for them to find their way home via Hill City. 

Which day?  It's up to the group or maybe the one that barks the loudest!  The second day (or maybe the 1st) I planned on riding trails, but I'm actually open to anything people want to do.

Whacked might chime in and give his impressions of the route.  (good or bad)  If nobody wants this type of ride, I'm okay with that and the Princess hasn't been out for awhile.

Your killing me Dave, that sounds like a lot of fun while I'll be stuck driving a car to Illinois.
"The best modification you can make to your bike is a better rider," Jimmy Lewis.

Wacked

Regarding Dave's ride - "The Big Easy"

I think it will be a cool ride.   Great for seeing some historic stuff.  Great if you want to see some country w/o beating yourself on the trail.   Did the the middle section with Dave and Alissa on Sunday.

Wacked

Towards the other end of the spectrum I'm feeling kinda Beta-ish and think I'll do a "easy single track/tighter 2-track" route on Friday.   Could take 8ish or do riders

Would start on the trail north of Pilot Knob - over to Kleghorn (sp?) Springs road and down thru experimental forest.   Up mystic road and catch the single track  until it crosses Deerfield road

In full disclosure, I haven't pre-run this route like Dave ran the "Big Easy".  I'm familiar with the northern part of this route but haven't laid tread on some of the southern section - that's part of the adventure - Right!?  I wouldnt do a KLR on this route, but most stuff up to a 400 should be fine

Wacked

ADV Piglet

Is the big easy -  V-Strom big easy?  Or take the WR & run out of gas and have a sore ass?  Sold the DR a month too early

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Wacked

Piglet - the Big easy should be V-strom friendly as long as you have some OK endure tires on that

Wacked

ADV Piglet

Quote from: Wacked on September 19, 2018, 11:50:01 AM

Piglet - the Big easy should be V-strom friendly as long as you have some OK endure tires on that

Wacked
Think they are a 50/50. But it's a big heavy bike so  Bethlehem road type stuff is about all I like to take it on.
I'd like to see the historic stuff so if way there super easy I could break off after if taking trails back.

sandhillrider

If Pete's working why not just bring the Beta. He'll never know.

ADV Piglet

Quote from: sandhillrider on September 19, 2018, 01:20:59 PM
If Pete's working why not just bring the Beta. He'll never know.
He won't even let me push it around the garage. He would know.

greatbuffalo

That sounds like lots of Dave. Thanks for the planning.

I love it when Piglet asked about a plan. My first thought was, "She has been here long enough to know that is a pipe dream."
  ;D ;D ;D
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

ADV Piglet

Quote from: greatbuffalo on September 19, 2018, 04:02:26 PM
That sounds like lots of Dave. Thanks for the planning.

I love it when Piglet asked about a plan. My first thought was, "She has been here long enough to know that is a pipe dream."
  ;D ;D ;D
Obviously, I didn't expect a 'plan' plan. Just a "hoping to head out by 9" type plan.