News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Minnesota

Started by grubbie, July 20, 2018, 08:39:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grubbie

Well, another trip to Minnesota in the books. I have ridden Paul Bunyan NF near Akeley, fun stuff on a bike. Decided this year to go over by Lake Superior north shore where there are a ton of ATV trails. We (my son, Ryan and I) got to Silver Bay by about 2 in the afternoon and went out exploring. It didn't take long to find some fun trails. Rode a few miles and when we came out to a road we looked back and saw a sign that excluded motorcycles from that trail. Oops. So we went out to find some more trails. Come to find out, all of the trails that I had scoped out on the web before the trip are snowmobile and ATV only. The ONLY place that motorcycles are allowed are on gravel roads. This is true for most of the state. We had planned to stay a couple days but went back to the cabin in western MN the next day. We go there every year, won't bring the bikes again unless another run to Akeley is planned. On a more positive note, the walleye bite on Bemidji was crazy good on a lindy rig, caught (and ate) a ton!

Abercrombie

I'm sort of a trail noob, but what would be the purpose of restricting motorcycles from an ATV trail.  It seems like they get along ok together in the black hills other than the complaints about ATV / side by sides tearing up the trails.

grubbie

I don't get it either, seems backwards to me.

ADV Piglet

I miss walleye! Minnesota not so much. What a stupid rule. The no motorcycle/trail thing probably has something to do with keeping the mosquitoes safe. That, or it's easier to fall off a motorcycle when you are drunk, so just trying to keep people safe by only allowing 4 wheels.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

greatbuffalo

My brother is part of the Ride the Wilds group in New Hampshire, an ATV trail system. I mentioned that I should bring my bikes out sometime. He informed me that they do not allow motorcycles. When ask why he gave me a BS story that bikes leave ruts.

I informed him that ATVs tear the trails up FAR worse than bikes even thought about. It makes no sense to me where the get these strange ideas from. I also asked when was the last time you saw a bike going off trail to wallow in the mud. He had no answer for that.
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

Osnabrock

My thought is that, by having ATV only trails, it allows us to also have motorcycle only trails.  I'll gladly let them have their wide two track if I get to keep my single track.
"Don't be scared, it's fun.  I'll cheer you on."