News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Another Beta Newb

Started by grubbie, August 05, 2018, 02:22:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grubbie

Well I picked her up last Friday, finally got a chance to spend a little time on it. Got it with a 3 gallon tank, lowered one inch, and seat concepts seat
First impressions:
Glad I had it lowered one inch, fits great. Two inches would have been too much.
Man, these tires suck.
So much power compared to the WRR, gonna take some getting used to for me.
Lugs down really well on climbs.
Man, these tires suck.
Ergos are perfect, feels comfy, could use some bar risers for standing.
The light weight makes it a bit squirrely on gravel but I will get used to it.
Man,......... these tires suck.
It is a lot of bike for my riding ability, but I am confident I will grow into it, glad I didn't get the 500.
I will have to learn to control the throttle a little better on climbs.
Only 30 minutes on the clock and I already love it, but.....
Man, these tires suck.
AND,....the State of Wyoming, more specifically Campbell County, is already arguing with me about licensing it. They say it is a dirt bike. The title wasn't notarized at Rosco's and Wyo requires that, as well as an odometer statement (for a new bike?). Fine, I will jump through their hoops, but they can't provide a legal reason for not plating it.

Lonesome Dave

Awesome bike, looks like you already spent tons of money on the add-ons and 20 hours of work installing them, but no, it came ready made!  Woo hoo!
Looks like those oem tires suck.  Front isn't too bad, but the back, yuck.  Maybe give the tires to an to an orange rider. 
Older - Wiser - Faster !

Abercrombie

Nice!   Somehow I wound up with a couple extra sets of 20mm red Beta risers.  Let me know if your interested and I can get them sent off to you for cheap.
What cc Beta did you get?

locopny

Nice Grubbie....

All these new Betas....

How do you REALLY feel about the tires?  Sounds like you may be on the fence about them...
87 XL600R 89 CBR600R
'17 CRF1000L
When can I go riding again? Crashing sucks!

sandhillrider

Glad you are getting some seat time and enjoying the Beta.
I agree on the rear tire, have a D606 I'm going to put on before fall rally.
Got to love getting plates. Beta's are in FED database so wouldn't think they can hold you up.
Enjoy the ride. Lets hope for LD's sake these things hold up or there will be a war party after him for starting this madness :)
Abercrombie I would take the risers if Grubbie doesn't want them.
Grubbie have fun.

Abercrombie

Quote from: sandhillrider on August 05, 2018, 09:00:44 PM
Glad you are getting some seat time and enjoying the Beta.
I agree on the rear tire, have a D606 I'm going to put on before fall rally.
Got to love getting plates. Beta's are in FED database so wouldn't think they can hold you up.
Enjoy the ride. Lets hope for LD's sake these things hold up or there will be a war party after him for starting this madness :)
Abercrombie I would take the risers if Grubbie doesn't want them.
Grubbie have fun.

I must be a rear tire idiot.  I cooked my first OEM MIchelin tire already and have a brand new Michelin enduro medium tire along with a set of Neutech tubless waiting to be mounted up before the fall rally.   Other than wearing out sort of quickly, what didn't you like about the OEM Michelin's?   I't might be the spectacular bike but I liked the Michelins better than the D606s I had on my XR650L.  No matter how poor of a rider I was the tire never let me down.  I believe those 606 tires had a lot to do with my frequent trips to the ground on the XR.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Sandhillrider, a set is yours for cheap if you want them since somehow I ended up with two extra sets.

sandhillrider

Have been happy with 606 on rear but a 606 on front it terrible. Like the MT-21 on front.
Stole that setup from Wacked. Bet Grubbie puts K270's on his.
I'll take a set of risers, will PM you.
Thought the front was squirrely also but is never takes off so I'm getting used to it.
Balancing the front also helps a bunch.

grubbie

Yeah, the K270's will definitely be my first try, they have been good for me but will see how they do on the 390. I will more than likely be running these Michelins at the fall rally, I doubt I will wear them out by then. I have never balanced a motorcycle wheel, any tips, tricks, and products would be appreciated. Are the Dynabeads any good? My DR came with a big lead weight on the spokes of the front tire, might be the best option until I change tires but not sure how to measure how much weight I need. Trial and error? Abercrombie, I'll PM you on the risers.

sandhillrider

My front wheel was so far out of balance with the bead lock it jumped as you went over 50.
Dave had some weights that clamp on spoke nipple with set screw and are made of brass. Other makes clamp to spoke.
The nipple weights we're more expensive but for a dirt bike thought they were best. Guy that makes them is from MO and sells them on eBay, just bought his KTM package. Will post pick of package later. I have truing stand I use for balancing. You could probably come pretty close by just raising front wheel and doing balance on bike as long as brake is not dragging, it's that far out of balance. All the weight goes opposite rim lock.

Bogus Jim

Motion Pro sells rim locks that are much lighter than OEM. But even with the Motion Pro you need to balance the rim or it hops over 50.

I thought KTM was the only brand that used rim locks? The other brands don't really have enough power to spin the tire on the rim.

Fletch

exactly Jim, but I suppose imitation is the sincerest from of flattery.
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

grubbie

Quote from: Bogus Jim on August 06, 2018, 08:37:20 AM
Motion Pro sells rim locks that are much lighter than OEM. But even with the Motion Pro you need to balance the rim or it hops over 50.

I thought KTM was the only brand that used rim locks? The other brands don't really have enough power to spin the tire on the rim.
The 390 is a dog.....but I did get it to spin going up a hill on loose pea gravel.......hence the rim lock. I am thinking about painting it orange, I hear that it is lighter and gives the bike more power.

Lonesome Dave

I am shocked at this blasphemy of the Italian princesses.  May the BETA fish god strike you down.

Grubbie, put 3 to 5 oz on the opposite side of the rim lock and it will be fine.  Or, you could add a second rim lock opposite the first one to keep the tire in place with all the power you now have!

Grubbie, call me tomorrow.  I'm thinking about having a Beta Saturday breakfast this weekend.  Go riding after breakfast.  Others can come, but they must behave.
Older - Wiser - Faster !

Abercrombie

Quote from: Lonesome Dave on August 06, 2018, 09:58:09 PM
I am shocked at this blasphemy of the Italian princesses.  May the BETA fish god strike you down.

Grubbie, put 3 to 5 oz on the opposite side of the rim lock and it will be fine.  Or, you could add a second rim lock opposite the first one to keep the tire in place with all the power you now have!

Grubbie, call me tomorrow.  I'm thinking about having a Beta Saturday breakfast this weekend.  Go riding after breakfast.  Others can come, but they must behave.

Dang it and I'll be in the neighborhood Saturday but won't have the Beta along.  I'll be passing through Saturday spending the night at the Buffalo Chip with all the unwashed bikers partying to Chevelle and Queensryche.  Sunday morning, maybe late morning, we'll head out working our way down to New Mexico playing on the Colorado roads on the way down and back.  My son will be on his Ninja 1000 and I'll be on the Tenere.

Fletch

Quote from: Lonesome Dave on August 06, 2018, 09:58:09 PM
.  Others can come, but they must behave.

that could be a problem........ ;D
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike