News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

My very first bike

Started by Kevin, October 23, 2018, 09:40:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin

My folks brought this 1978 Suzuki DS 80 home in the trunk of a 1969 Catalina Pontiac.  It was late summer of 1977, I was 10.  Mom and Dad left me with my grandparents and told me they were going to town to pick up groceries and supplies for the ranch.  I was with my grandparents a lot so, the situation was not unusual.  Mom and Dad picked me up on the way home, I had to sit in the front seat with them as the back seat was full.  We arrived at our home and I started unloading stuff out of the back seat, carrying it to the house.  Once the back seat was cleared out dad handed me the keys to the car and told me to retrieve the remaining stuff from the trunk.  When I opened the trunk, there it was, shiny orange, with the handle bars removed so it would fit in the trunk.  I think I road it every single day weather permitted, and when I was not in trouble.  My sister road it, and after she out grew it, I took care of it, kept it running, and ran it around to keep it from deteriorating to nothing.  I moved from Oklahoma, to New Mexico, to Alabama, back to Oklahoma, to Wyoming, now living in North Dakota for the past seven years.  The little DS went everywhere I went.  We were renting a home here in North Dakota and finally found a home we wanted to purchase.  We had a garage sale before we moved, my DS setting in the corner with no intention of selling it.  Some guy came in and said I will give you $500 for the bike, I took his cash and he rolled the bike away.  I never gave it a second thought, until a few days ago.  I was scanning Bisman and there it was.  My heart jumped, I knew it was my old bike.  I was surprised at my reaction, In short, I bought it back.  What a deal huh?

Look ahead and you'll shred...

Lonesome Dave

Great story!  I'll bet it has a forever home now.

Pictures.......
Older - Wiser - Faster !

Kevin

Yeah I have a picture, just have to figure out how to get it in there...  :o

Kevin

I inserted a link for now... 

Kevin

hmmm... Ok, maybe not... I will work on it tomorrow...

Fletch

glad you got it back. something about the first one that makes it hard to get rid of.
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

Kevin

Hank

It still looks great!    Love the story too.