News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

2019 SPRING RALLY

Started by Lonesome Dave, November 26, 2018, 08:04:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lonesome Dave

Wacked and I talked about what we should say or how to describe the trail conditions.  I think he nailed it above.

I can say I was much more optimistic about the conditions after our ride today.  But, as soon as we started east away from Rochford, water everywhere.  Even water running across or along side the road in places.

It's too bad we could not predict the weather, or at least moved our camping location from the Northern end of the hills to a more central location.  But, were here to ride anyway.  I'm basically always happy wherever I'm riding in the hills.
One more thing.......it's really green out there.
LD
Older - Wiser - Faster !

greatbuffalo

Yes Dave, I have given that some thought. I guess if there is some interest I would be glad to do it.
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

Leo FishBear

be a good time for the tenere and some gravel roads. but on the bright side almost 0 chance of forest fires for awhile.
I've No idea where I'm going, That's no reason to be late.

sandhillrider

Going to bring Tenere, XT and Beta so we can go either way.
Bonnie's not big on 2 up but she will if she has to.
Might be my opening to try a Royal Enfield Himalayan.....For her.
Maybe things will dry out some in a couple weeks.

tannerc

Anyone planning on bringing a street machine?  I may bring the Beta and a street bike and leave the ktm 2 stroke single tractor at home.
"Retreat, hell! We're not retreating, we're just advancing in a different direction."

greatbuffalo

Mark I think the Enfield is a good machine for her. I was concerned about reliability on it at first but if you watch this https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEIs9nkveW9WmYtsOcJBwTg you will find that with minimal sorting it can be pretty dang reliable. Reliable enough that this woman takes her into some of the most remote and inhospitable places solo.

greatbuffalo

Okay. After a little thought and considering the current conditions I have decided to lead a mostly asphalt route on Friday. I also have a issue with my left arm that has me concerned about doing some technical offroad riding.

Some of you joined me last year where the aim was to link as many twisties as possible in ones days ride. I think we did about 180 miles last year but I did not really keep track. A bit of gravel may be had as well if we are all on adv bikes. Last year we had a sport bike with us so no gravel was had.

The loop will start on Nemo road, to Norris Peak Road to Hwy 44 to Sheridan Lake road to 385 to Hill city and the Old Hill City Road to Keystone. From Keystone take 40 to South Playhouse Road and do a backdoor tour of Custer State park. From There things are up for conversation over lunch in Keystone. As always the suggestions on alternative routes and roads can be discussed. I have found roads I have never been on this way.

Anyway.... if anyone would like to join me on this ride let me know. I will however like to keep this group fairly small. 8 riders or so so we do not get to spread out. This will be a spirited ride so if you are looking to do this loop in slow-mo, I am not the guy you want to ride with. We will however stop for photos and from time to time.

If there is more interest than the 8 or so riders, maybe we can do two groups and all meet for lunch in Keystone.

I am also thinking about maybe leading another ride on Saturday that will be much more gravel but nothing technical.

locopny

Sounds much like the loop I did on my CBR last year...minus the run into Rapid to pick up Sheridan Lake Rd.  I ended up with about 220ish? miles including the Needles Hwy.  Twisty Loop.  No mud either.  Different kind of fun in the Hills.
87 XL600R 89 CBR600R
'17 CRF1000L
When can I go riding again? Crashing sucks!

Robmicgrn

Quote from: tannerc on May 28, 2019, 09:32:00 PM
Anyone planning on bringing a street machine?  I may bring the Beta and a street bike and leave the ktm 2 stroke single tractor at home.

Looking at the weather lately, I may bring a big bike for a street run as well.
"You don't know how fast you can go till you crash"

ADV Piglet

Pete & I  be on the bigger bikes Friday. Up for some gravel, no gravel, whatever - just no mud.

GB - if you get too many in your group, or if anyone looking for a "go-the-speed-limit" group through the twisties, i'd be happy to lead as well

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

greatbuffalo

Wacked

Did some more scouting on Sat and came up with a pretty sweet route.  Dave had some last minute plans so took off with Jeff on his 250F and PegLeg on his hopped-up 250X towards Custer

We jumped into the trees just East of Jewel cave and made our way to the Southern most road/trail system in the Black Hills.  I think I'll name this loop the B.A.S. - Big Ass Southern Loop.  Really, its not much of a loop - you just dead-head south on some pretty sweet "very rustic roads".  This is some sexy country.  Gets into the Jasper Burn just a little bit.  Bumps into some Elk country.  Has rocks, mud, sand, sage, pines, cactus, and big vistas.  End destination is Pilger Mountain area

All of it is suitable for up to mid-size bikes with knobbies.  There's some sections I wouldn't bring a big bike on.  Has some sand and perhaps mud so I wouldn't do 50/50 tires.  Length from Custer was about 135miles ...... gas was an issue for Jeff. 

I'd be open to taking a group of 7-8 down there Friday or Sun.

Wacked

DA-SANDNAPPER

Sounds like a fun "Loop" to me. 135 miles between gas stops?  Would we start at fish and fry and end up in Custer 135 miles later?  Or would we dead head to Custer, then go another 135 miles?

Wacked

It was a fun loop.  Weather was perfect.

130/135ish Miles is start-stop from Custer.   We will still need to get to and from Custer

It will take a full day

Wacked

DA-SANDNAPPER

Please count me in. 500 EXC-F. Will bring extra fuel to make the 135 miles. Thanks