News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

klr650 vs xr650l vs dr650

Started by ross/xt350, December 04, 2018, 03:58:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ross/xt350

This question has been driving me nuts all fall. I'm new here so i thought i would ask the esteemed gentlemen of this forum who have more seat time than me for their 2 cents on the issue at hand. I currently ride a KLE(versys)650 with many ADV style farkles and knobbies on it and while I love the engine and how it rides on pavement I am looking to upgrade for the spring. My wife and I took a trip last fall around lake superior on our bikes and despite how good the versys is on pavement i was constantly jealous of her klr whenever we hit dirt. The weight of the versys combined with a 17" front tire and full time abs caused a few washouts on loose gravel and I always find myself happier on her klr so I am thinking its time to get myself a 650 thumper and ditch the more road oriented versys. I am well aware of the issues with the klr since I do all the repairs and maintenance on both out bikes. The doohicky/timing chain issue isn't a big deal for me since I installed hers but I'm not sure on the other 2 bikes. I like the looks of the dr and xr but am not sure which way to go. I'm sure all 3 bikes are very good in their own right but is there anything to be aware of with them before making a decision. If you more experienced riders could pick one right now which would it be and why. Anyway Thanks for any and all input. Hopefully i didn't open up too big a can of worms here lol.
2000 xt350
2013 tw200
2018 bashan brozz 250 blue eagle deluxe #1 hotdog cowboy rocketship

ADV Piglet

I'll share my 2 cents until the ones that know what they are talking about chime in

DR650 vs KLR650 (I know nothing of the other one): Both will do fine on gravel. Trail riding - both can do it, you'll enjoy it better on DR. It's smaller/lighter. I did all my trail riding on a DR650 for a couple seasons, until I realized how much better trail riding was in a 250!  KLR much better for the long ride. I road my DR from Rapid City to Badlands, road around Badlands and back to RC. Planned to trailer it the next time I wanted to ride out there. Maybe I'm just a big baby, but I like to be comfortable on long rides. The KLR fine for something like that or even longer.  Just feels more like a street bike IMO.

I'll just throw this out  - ever considered a DL650 with knobbies?  I just took mine 2200 miles this past summer and couldn't have been happier with it. Great on the road and great on gravel. Plus it looks cool

Also very cool that your wife rides! We need a few more women riders around here

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

grubbie

What kind of riding will you be doing most of the time? They are all worthy machines. More dirt? XR. More Highway? KLR. The DR falls in between. If you are on mostly highway and gravel with the occasional trail I would suggest the KLR for comfort. Although I have a DR and I am comfortable on it the way I have it set up. Some of these yahoos ride 1000 cc bikes like they are on a 250, so skill level plays a role as well.

Lonesome Dave

Quote from: grubbie on December 04, 2018, 07:48:02 PM
What kind of riding will you be doing most of the time? They are all worthy machines. More dirt? XR. More Highway? KLR. The DR falls in between. If you are on mostly highway and gravel with the occasional trail I would suggest the KLR for comfort. Although I have a DR and I am comfortable on it the way I have it set up. Some of these yahoos ride 1000 cc bikes like they are on a 250, so skill level plays a role as well.

+^ 1  8)

More dirt - XR, More Hwy - KLR, great compromise between the two - DR.  I've had 2 KLR's and would like to have another.  Now I have a DR and really like it.  I've always wanted to get an XR, maybe someday!
Older - Wiser - Faster !

locopny

I don't think you could go 'wrong' with any of those.  All seem quite capable.     
Maybe Abercrombie will speak up for the XR. 
87 XL600R 89 CBR600R
'17 CRF1000L
When can I go riding again? Crashing sucks!

Abercrombie

Grubbie and Lonsome Dave nailed it on the down and dirty on the KLR, DR, XR.  Before buying I wrung my hands on those three along with the DRZ 400 and I wound up with the XR650L because I wanted the one most dirt capable bike and still be able to knock out a couple hundred mile day on the road.  I replaced it earlier this year with a 500 RR-S but I sure miss the XR650L.  Later this summer I came across a good deal on a low mileage DRZ400 and man what a bike.   If I knew then what I know now, I may have been just as happy if not happier with the DRZ 400 over the XR 650L.   

Hank

Grubbie has it right.

If you think a KLR is the way to go, jump on this one quickly!!

https://siouxfalls.craigslist.org/mcy/d/2009-kawasaki-klr-650/6765694686.html

ross/xt350

I am kind of thinking the klr would be the way to go and holy crap that is cheap :o! Im definitly looking into that one! thanks a million for sharing the listing!
2000 xt350
2013 tw200

ross/xt350

2000 xt350
2013 tw200

greatbuffalo

Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

ross/xt350

I am still torn on this issue. the more I look the more I am not sure what I want to do. when my wife and I rode our 2000 mile trip around superior I loved my versys but just wanted it to do a little better on gravel. there is a way to convert it to a 19" front wheel from a dl1000 and put a real front tire on it. I may end up just doing that and keeping my xt350 for any real dual sporting. The most my wife is comfortable with off road is very easy single track or fire roads on her klr so I could probably be just fine on the versys with just a little more off road ability but it will still be a heavy pig. I will really miss that power on the highway if I switch to the klr. ADV Piglet how is that 19" front tire on the strom in the dirt? Anyone else run a tubless 19" front in the dirt. I think it would be worlds better than the fat 17" basically sport bike front end I have at the moment.
2000 xt350
2013 tw200

Wacked

It's winter and we all need a project, right?

Bet you that someone has grafted a DRZ400 or YZ450 front end on that bike .......   Should be fairly easy and reasonable to do.  Give that a shot. 

If that doesn't work, it was a $800 experiment!  I hear that Versys motor is sweeeet. 

Might be worth it.  Would really  be worth it if it's that Candy Apple green!!!!

Wacked

ADV Piglet

Quote from: ross/xt350 on December 13, 2018, 08:03:26 AM
I am still torn on this issue. the more I look the more I am not sure what I want to do. when my wife and I rode our 2000 mile trip around superior I loved my versys but just wanted it to do a little better on gravel. there is a way to convert it to a 19" front wheel from a dl1000 and put a real front tire on it. I may end up just doing that and keeping my xt350 for any real dual sporting. The most my wife is comfortable with off road is very easy single track or fire roads on her klr so I could probably be just fine on the versys with just a little more off road ability but it will still be a heavy pig. I will really miss that power on the highway if I switch to the klr. ADV Piglet how is that 19" front tire on the strom in the dirt? Anyone else run a tubless 19" front in the dirt. I think it would be worlds better than the fat 17" basically sport bike front end I have at the moment.
My vstrom does great in the dirt. I've rode it in a few gnarly spots I wish I hadn't and it really surprised me how easy it was on big bike. I'm sure it could go through much more worse than I've had it in with a better rider

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk