News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

CZ 400 Project

Started by Kevin, March 16, 2019, 06:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin

I recently brought home a 1974 CZ 400 that I had stored at my parents farm in Oklahoma.  A fellow riding buddy/motor head gave it to me about 25 years ago, and I have decided to bring it back from the dead.  It is rough, but I am going to put it back together in all its former racing glory.   :o
Look ahead and you'll shred...

greatbuffalo

I hate to be the one to tell you, but............... its missing some very import parts.
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

Kevin

Well, I am moving ahead on this project.  The piston was stuck big time, but I managed to set it free drilling the entire crown out of the piston, liberal application of penetrating oil, and some "moderate" coaxing with a hammer.  Considering what it looks like, all of the major bits are serviceable.  I will start posting photos as I start reassembly.  My goal is purely achieving functional as last raced, will see how it turns out... 

I thought I would be further along with this project, but this weather has kept me and some riding buddies riding local single track most every weekend this winter.  If you were wondering I am okay with this kind of delay...  8)

locopny

I would be ok with that type of delay also.

So is this to be something of a display bike?  or more of a vintage rider at a show type setting?
carry on and good luck with whatever progress you get this winter.
87 XL600R 89 CBR600R
'17 CRF1000L
When can I go riding again? Crashing sucks!

Kevin

It will be a rider.  I don't own anything that I don't ride or drive...   ;D 

Fletch

looking forward to seeing this complete
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

Kevin

Freshly painted frame ready for the engine...  I have a ways to go on the engine yet...  :o

locopny

87 XL600R 89 CBR600R
'17 CRF1000L

Kevin

Close, supposed to be CZ red... 

locopny

well if it leaks after its all together...blame it on the red?? :o

admittedly, it is a very nice red.
87 XL600R 89 CBR600R
'17 CRF1000L

Kevin

A little progress, things aren't in to bad of shape overall.  A little staining etc., but in all remarkably serviceable.  New bearings, crank pin, crank pin bearing and connecting rod.  Have an oversized Wisco piston will get the cylinder bored ~0.030" to match.  Close to putting the cases together. 

Kevin

Trued up case halves, trans assembled and torqued.  Clearances are good, everything spins freely and I need to polish the trans gate to fit and slide smoothly.  Its coming together nicely considering what I started with...

Fletch

stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

Kevin

A little more progress this weekend...

Kevin

Waiting on the return of my freshly bored cylinder, decided to start rebuilding the shocks.  They are first generation emulsion Fox Shox as they are today.  I have sourced parts to make them functional once again.  Its amazing what you can source on the internet...