News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Iowa to the hills on 250s

Started by doug, June 04, 2019, 06:14:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doug

A buddy from PA hit me up about a dual sport trip this year;  possible destinations were, Moab, Rockies, or The Black Hills.   The hills won out and we'll be on our way in just a couple of weeks. 
   I figured he'd truck his beta to my place in Cedar Rapids then we'd truck up together the rest of the way.  "Not so fast my friend', he says, "we're riding the 250s out".    Well shit, I'm game! So now the beta is staying in PA and we're riding up from my place, me on a wrr and he on a crf250l.   I asked another friend if he'd like to join,  he did, but he is hauling his 350 exc up.  Which is great, now we have a chase vehicle to haul camping gear and tools/parts etc.   Couple months go by and we get a bloke on a klx to join in.   Should be a hoot.

Now the problem, I'm not much for planning, so I struggle with this shit
I hope you folks will help me out with a question or two.

Is there a place where we can pay park a vehicle for a few days? We were thinking of finding a different camp site each night, so it may be easier to leave the Jeep behind somewhere.

Can I get trail/park passes online, or do we just pick some up there?

Wacked

Reach out to Michelle at Chalet Motel in Custer......   she dual sports and will likely find a way to help you out w/parking.

You can do either regarding the passes.   If they mail them to you, don't know if they send you paper maps.   I like paper better when planning than electric.  If you don't care about paper, just load down the Avenza maps for your route planning.   Picking them up in person means you'll have to show up 8-5 M-F at a forest service station.

Sounds like an adventure

Wacked

locopny

Quote from: Wacked on June 04, 2019, 08:45:31 PM
Picking them up in person means you'll have to show up 8-5 M-F at a forest service station.

Sounds like an adventure

Wacked

I think I was able to get a pass last Spring at The Wagon Wheel???(not sure if that was the name for sure) across from Fish N Fry.  So I think they probably have a few vendors around the Hills along with the FSS's also again this year.

Love the idea of that adventure.  On a 250....
87 XL600R 89 CBR600R
'17 CRF1000L
When can I go riding again? Crashing sucks!

greatbuffalo

Doug welcome to our little side of the net. That sounds like a fun ride. I am not too far from you now. I am a traveling nurse working in Sumner. It certainly would be easy to find an interesting route to the hills. You could take lots of time and ride gravel all the way out. You may check out the Trans South Dakota trail for some ideas heading west out of the Yankon SD area. Not sure how much time you have.

As for parking your truck. I am sure you would not have much trouble finding a place to park it. Someone here may even chime in and offer a parking spot on their property.

Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

doug

Thanks!

I have some Nat Geo maps I picked up a couple years ago that have trail markings, same type of material at Butler uses.  The pansy that isn't riding up has that app on his phone with maps loaded.

The guy with the Honda pulled some gpx files off adv for the NE/SD for the way out and back.  I was supposed to plan a gravel and dirt route across Iowa.  Since Iowa is just a big grid, my whole strategy is to drive west on gravel for several miles then turn North for a mile or two.   Rinse and repeat. It's not like we can get lost...

doug

Quote from: greatbuffalo on June 04, 2019, 09:24:36 PM
Doug welcome to our little side of the net. That sounds like a fun ride. I am not too far from you now. I am a traveling nurse working in Sumner. It certainly would be easy to find an interesting route to the hills. You could take lots of time and ride gravel all the way out. You may check out the Trans South Dakota trail for some ideas heading west out of the Yankon SD area. Not sure how much time you have.

As for parking your truck. I am sure you would not have much trouble finding a place to park it. Someone here may even chime in and offer a parking spot on their property.
Work sometimes takes me to the bar in Sumner.  Definitely thinking  all gravel and dirt for the the Iowa section.   I know the fella planning the other section was watching tsdat videos, unsure how much he Incorporated.    If the gravel keeps improving after this bizarre start to the year, we'll make great time across Iowa.  This weekend was the first time I was comfortable maintaining 60, Frost boils had the roads very unpredictable all spring.
Dirt was slow going, very rutted up with farmers working and kids playing in the mud with their 4x4s.
It may take the east coast boys a bit to get used to the gravel, but they'll kick my ass in the trees.  I doubt they are used to relatively long distance riding on little dual sports, one of the reasons I chose that particular time of the year.  Plenty of  daylight to offset time spent screwing off.

Lonesome Dave

Hi Doug,

You can park at my place.  We live west of Rapid City up Nemo Road a few miles.  My wife asked me if I knew you guys.  I said no!

So now she just wants to know if you are ax murders or similar.  I told her I'd ask!

So, if you can say NO to the above AX question, I guess were good to go!  8)

I sent you a pm with my phone number.  (Look at the top of the page under, my messages)
LD

Older - Wiser - Faster !

doug

Very generous, thank you. I'll bring it up with the fellas and be in touch.  Your wife can rest assured that we don't have an ax murderer in the bunch.   

I'm really looking forward to being back in the area.  Been through a handful of times, but always either in a cage or on a road bike.   First trip was with my uncle as he was trying to buy back (unsuccessfully) his uncle's cabin.  He's the very sentimental type and had fond memories of visits there.  When they shut down Fort Robinson my great uncle moved up to the Custer State Park area and built a cabin with "borrowed" left over CCC lumber.  It's just down the road from Blue Bell, where he worked.   
Neat area

doug

Good grief am I behind on bike prep...

doug

We should be rolling out of cedar rapids tomorrow morning, rain or shine.  Hoping to make it to the Nemo area sometime Saturday or early Sunday.
Should be interesting

greatbuffalo

Rife safe and enjoy trip.

Sent from my BND-L24 using Tapatalk

doug

The already saturated gravel after morning thunderstorms was entertaining.  Made it to Yankton and called it quits for your day. 

greatbuffalo

Beware of gumbo clay if you are following the trans South Dakota trail

Sent from my BND-L24 using Tapatalk

doug

Noted.
Not sure of our plans for today, haven't thought that far ahead yet