News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Xt350 engine work

Started by ross/xt350, June 26, 2019, 03:36:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ross/xt350

Well as many of you know the oil pump on my xt decided to quit on a ride a few weeks ago. I was thinking it probably did some engine damage and after putting the new pump in, praying profusely, and starting it up my fears are confirmed. It rattles a lot on the top end and the base gasket is blown out now. Not sure if I should get a new jug and head or send it out? If i sent it out for boring and head work I'm not sure where to send it. Is there any place people would recommend for engine work like that. I can assemble anything but i am not a machinist.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

2000 xt350
2013 tw200
2018 bashan brozz 250 blue eagle deluxe #1 hotdog cowboy rocketship

Osnabrock

You have to pull the cylinder to replace the base gasket so just start there.  See what shape the cylinder is in.  It might be ok. 
I rode my DRZ, after splitting a radiator and loosing all the coolant, until the cylinder discolored.  I was certain that I caused damage.  I got the radiator braised, put new oil in it, and have been riding it since.  I hear noises but it must be all in my head because that was about 6 years ago.
"Don't be scared, it's fun.  I'll cheer you on."

tannerc

Quote from: Osnabrock on June 26, 2019, 09:54:18 PM
You have to pull the cylinder to replace the base gasket so just start there.  See what shape the cylinder is in.  It might be ok. 
I rode my DRZ, after splitting a radiator and loosing all the coolant, until the cylinder discolored.  I was certain that I caused damage.  I got the radiator braised, put new oil in it, and have been riding it since.  I hear noises but it must be all in my head because that was about 6 years ago.

I hear noise in things (bikes) all the time, always get the uh oh feeling but I havent blown anything up yet. I have decided to stop paying close attention to the odd rattles, tings & squeaks, they take the fun out of the ride. hahah
"Retreat, hell! We're not retreating, we're just advancing in a different direction."