News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

July trip on the BRP to the Black Hills

Started by Mountainmaker, June 30, 2019, 08:52:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mountainmaker

To make this an intro and a trip planner: I am currently living in Sheridan, Wyoming (on a contract job through September) and would love to take the ole XR650R to the Black Hills and do some real riding! From what I have read/info from Tannerc camping near Nemo, SD is the best bet for riding. I can only work 40hr a week and should easily be a able to plan a weekend in the hills for riding in July. I am currently thinking July 12-14 or 19-21 and riding Fri/Sat/and Sun morning. I’ve been looking at the USFS maps and the KML/KMZ tracks on google earth and it seems like some impressive riding.

Any suggestions for trip planning and trails to hit? It will be just me out there so nothing to crazy ::)

Akunin

Another BRP! Welcome to the hills!

I highly recommend the Nemo area and at some point make your way to the Sugar Shack for burger and fries. As fast as specific trails to take I'll ask first what kind of miles are you looking to cover?  After market tank, bringing fuel with you? I only ask because last weekend we helped a few riders out of a pinch where they misjudged their distance, easy to do up here! Get caught up in the moment and wham! 40 miles becomes 90.

Mountainmaker

I just put on a Clarke 4.3g tank and will be leaving a 5g at camp. I would love to have a long day(s) of riding but I can see the BRP's thirsty nature limiting that. Ideally, I would love to see the scenery and a good mix of trails.

tannerc

"Retreat, hell! We're not retreating, we're just advancing in a different direction."

Mountainmaker

I have not made it out there yet! I have been having some "old bike problems". Finally got the overheating/coolant leak figured out! Hopefully I can make it out there in the coming weeks if work lets up.

7/21/19: Got a flat riding in the Bighorns today, time to spoon on/in a fresh tube!

Akunin

What was the coolant problem? Stock thermostat?

My sons was overheating this last week and when we looked I was pretty shocked to see a stock thermostat staring back at me. As usual bent and stuck open so I popped in a new one. While we were that far I installed a trailtech fan (have enjoyed mine) so he's running as he should and some 600 miles later no overheating problems whatsoever.

tannerc

The BRP cooling system does need attention in its stock form (its like it was designed to only run wide open in the desert). I added a fan, wrapped the headers with fiberglass exhaust wrap, changed out the thermostat (there is a cross reference part number for the same part that is used in a automobile which if im remembering correctly you can get it to open at a lower temp). Flushed the system and changed to fluid out with amsoil and used amsoil coolant boost. All of those things made a big difference in keeping the pig from boiling over, but the thing that needs to be done first is getting your jetting right.
"Retreat, hell! We're not retreating, we're just advancing in a different direction."

Akunin

No doubt, in the 5 XRR's I've had the cooling system is one of the first things I go through. Fan mod is definitely my favorite and most beneficial for the area I ride in. Second favorite would have to be the Lectron carb. :)