News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Grand Canyon Wild Hair Run .........

Started by Wacked, July 10, 2019, 10:26:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wacked

Saw a route/trip report on a track around the Grand Canyon - about 1000 miles and a weeks worth of time.   

The dude who established this route had some stunning pictures.  Cant get it out of my head.  I have been pondering a fall ride (Early Oct).  Anyone here crazy enough to meander and camp in the wilds surrounding the Grand Canyon .........  I ain't getting any younger!

Wacked

Abercrombie

Whoa, That sounds like an epic ride and the motorcycle school is closed for the season by then.  Hmmmm?   You have my attention and I'm subscribed to learn more.  Was this a big bike ride suitable for the Tenere or something more appropriate for a light weight dual sport bike like the Beta 500 or DRZ?

Wacked

Pretty sure its Big Bike Friendly .....

The Article/Report that got me going is titled "GCBAR - Grand Canyon Backcountry Adventure Route".  YOu can find it on ADVrider.

Wacked

Fletch

stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

Kevin

Look ahead and you'll shred...

Abercrombie

Well Wacked have you given this any more though or planning?  What were you thinking of riding, Adventure bike or dual sport?  If you were riding adventure bike were you thinking of hauling or riding down to the Grand Canyon.  If you were thinking of hauling bikes and I'm able to go, I have a super cab pick up and or a four place enclosed motorcycle trailer I could offer up for use if needed.

Wacked

Kevin -

If it's game on, let's make it happen!

I was planning on hauling bike(s) down most of the way and taking the Euro-Trash 640 and camping off the bike.  I could be conned into taking the DRZ but I'd have to set up for some extra fuel.  Depending how this plays out, I have an open trailer that hauls 2-3 bikes nicely.

Haven't asked for time off yet at work - was gunning for mid Oct. so it's not too scorching or too frigid.  What weeks do or don't work with you?

Anyone else thinking about this trip?

Wacked

Kevin

Best October dates for me are 12th - 19th or 26th - Nov 3rd.  Bike choice debate is r1200gsa vs xr650...

Abercrombie

Quote from: Wacked on August 04, 2019, 06:51:47 PM

Kevin -

If it's game on, let's make it happen!

I was planning on hauling bike(s) down most of the way and taking the Euro-Trash 640 and camping off the bike.  I could be conned into taking the DRZ but I'd have to set up for some extra fuel.  Depending how this plays out, I have an open trailer that hauls 2-3 bikes nicely.

Haven't asked for time off yet at work - was gunning for mid Oct. so it's not too scorching or too frigid.  What weeks do or don't work with you?

Anyone else thinking about this trip?

Wacked

I'm in!  The only question is, do i ride the Tenere or Beta 500 so I'll have to read the GCBAR thread to figure out the best bike for the job.  Dates for me are open and flexible.  I normally help a couple of brothers haul the annual sugar beet harvest for ten days starting October 1st, but if I have to leave early it's no sweat.

Kevin

Abercrombie

Well I read a couple of the GCBAR ride reports on Adventure rider and it seems that most have ridden it on adventure bikes so I'm leaning toward the Tenere being the bike of choice.   

From what I read, it sounds like September to early October is the best weather for the GCBAR that time of year.  So Kevin's earlier October dates may be the best of the two. 

Kevin

sandhillrider

This looks interesting and the early October dates would work for me.
Will be watching this develop. Would like a trip on my Tenere.

Wacked

Thinking out loud with some of the factors .....

There's 3.5 people are interested in this run.  2.5 of you have big bikes.  My wife is somewhat interested in coming down with the van maybe doing a chase vehicle thing or maybe just planting herself somewhere (St. George-ish area).

Unless you think highly of your Iron Butt abilities, it will take 2 days to get down to the start of this loop and 2 days to get back home.  I'd be planning on 5 days for the actual loop - I'd like to stop and check things out from time-to-time.  You'll likely be gone for 9 days.

My preference for days would be the first full week of October in hope that we could catch some of the Fall colors - plan on driving down the weekend before and back the weekend after 10/5-10/13 This is also 2 weeks after the local Fall Rally.

I don't have a big bike option.  A trailer or trailer hitch is how the 640 will be getting down there.  If I trailer, I may also throw in the DRZ for a spare - just 'cause.....

If you are leaning towards the Big Bike idea, it is possible to meet somewhere Southern WY or Denver-ish and ride as a pack while the trailered bikes are making way to the starting point as well.

What are your thoughts as we whip a plan into shape????

Wacked

sandhillrider

Wacked

Beg for Bonnie's permission and bump up to .9!