News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Grand Canyon Wild Hair Run .........

Started by Wacked, July 10, 2019, 10:26:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abercrombie

Quote from: Wacked on August 10, 2019, 02:12:26 PM

Thinking out loud with some of the factors …..

There's 3.5 people are interested in this run.  2.5 of you have big bikes.  My wife is somewhat interested in coming down with the van maybe doing a chase vehicle thing or maybe just planting herself somewhere (St. George-ish area).

Unless you think highly of your Iron Butt abilities, it will take 2 days to get down to the start of this loop and 2 days to get back home.  I'd be planning on 5 days for the actual loop - I'd like to stop and check things out from time-to-time.  You'll likely be gone for 9 days.

My preference for days would be the first full week of October in hope that we could catch some of the Fall colors - plan on driving down the weekend before and back the weekend after 10/5-10/13 This is also 2 weeks after the local Fall Rally.

I don't have a big bike option.  A trailer or trailer hitch is how the 640 will be getting down there.  If I trailer, I may also throw in the DRZ for a spare - just 'cause.....

If you are leaning towards the Big Bike idea, it is possible to meet somewhere Southern WY or Denver-ish and ride as a pack while the trailered bikes are making way to the starting point as well.

What are your thoughts as we whip a plan into shape????

Wacked

Well, I'm super flexible.  I can ride or haul the Tenere down and back if anyone else is riding big bikes or I can throw the Beta 500 in the back of the pickup or trailer and haul bikes.  The Beta is set up for light adventure with 4 gallon tank + 1 Gallon Rotopax and luggage rack.  I've thrown my Giant Loop Great Basin over the back of the 500 and ridden a modified 900 mile DakAL in 4 days with camping gear in Western South Dakota.  It's just a matter of which bike is the best for the job, matches the riding type we will be doing, or if I ride down or haul down. 

Kevin

10/5 - 10-13 is not an option for me, I will bow out on this one.  Enjoy and share lots of photos.   8)
Look ahead and you'll shred...

Abercrombie

Well this Grand Canyon trip has consumed my thoughts the last couple weeks.  This trip and the Fall rally in Custer has been the only thing I've had to look forward to in this motorcycle riding train wreck of a summer.  Shit is hitting the fan here making a commitment to this ride  and the fall rally uncertain.  My mother is alone in Texas and has been learning about some inoperable lung cancer, lymph node cancer medical issues and in the last couple days and things are starting to look gravely uncertain.

With up coming medical care treatment and possible end of life planning, the best I can offer right now is a play it by ear commitment.  I'll have the Tenere or the Beta 500 ready to go if things work out for the better or there is a break in the cancer treatment program but any commitment will have to be on the back burner till we learn more.

I just got off the phone with my mother and it sounds like we won't learn much more or formulate any type of medical treatment plan until September 10th.

I'm sorry to Brad and others I've led on not knowing this information.   After a life commitment shit show this summer, I was really looking forward to some catch up riding this fall.   >:(

Wacked

Cancer is Shit.

If you can roll - great.........  If you can't - understand. 

Dad will be living in Rochester/Mayo 5-6 weeks in Sept for big "C" BS.

Wacked

locopny

Yes...Cancer is shit.

Aber/Kevin- sorry to hear about your Mom.

Wacked- my Dad did a 9 week stay in Mayo.  Will be there early Sept for the big 5 year check up..
Hope for a grand 'bell' ringing for your dad at the end.
87 XL600R 89 CBR600R
'17 CRF1000L
When can I go riding again? Crashing sucks!

Wacked

OK - This is going on the bucket list

Due to scheduling, family needs, and Doctoring, the GCBDR just ain't going to happen this year for the Dakota contingent.   We tried .......

Wasn't in the mood do it Solo.

But, I have to do something.  So, just got signed up for the 3-Step Rondevous in LaSal - saw it on ADVrider  :P.   Why not.  It's only a couple of days after our Fall Rally and will scratch my Moab/High Desert itch.

Stay tuned.  Looks like a cool place to hang out.

Wacked

greatbuffalo

Nathaniel and I stayed there last spring for a week. Scott and Julie are wonderful hosts. We had a blast.
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

Wacked

I thought that could be the place you stayed.....    want me to go out and scout for your drone?  :evil

But on a serious note, what bike of mine is better suited to that area?   Was thinking of the 640, but dunno?

greatbuffalo

The 640 would be a good choice yes.

Sent from my BND-L24 using Tapatalk

Bogus Jim

greatbuffalo

Hahahahahaha, You funny man!!   I was gonna say he needs a KLR but didn't...  :evil :evil

Wacked

Really?.......  yea,  the 640 is a hopped up KLR with sexy body lines. 

Come to think of it, the last time I was in Moab area it was with Dan and Mark on the KLR.  Although a good bike, just never bonded with that machine

Fletch

Quote from: Bogus Jim on September 11, 2019, 10:35:15 PM
Quote from: greatbuffalo on September 11, 2019, 10:19:25 PM
The 640 would be a good choice yes.

greatbuffalo recommends KTM motorcycles.

they all come to their senses eventually Jim....
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

Abercrombie

3-Step Rondevous in LaSal?  Is that an organized group ride.  I was unable to find it on ADV rider other than a DR650 3-Step Rondevous in LaSal from september 5-8th last week.

I'll be in Rochester with mom next Tuesday and Wednesday and will learn more about treatment timing if you're still looking for someone to tag along.

greatbuffalo

https://3stephideaway.com

This will give you the info you seek. The 3 Step Rendezvous is a regular event. They provide you with GPS tracks for different routes. They cannot do "led rides" or "Guided rides" as they would need a guide license. So its easier to do the scouting and give the GPS tracks so you have your own experience.  There is some beautiful terrain both on the ranch and the surrounding area.

Its about 60 miles South East of Moab.

If you go, a word of warning. When leaving the property on your bike for the first time be aware that the sharp turn to the left creeps up on you.....  don't over cook it, it could end badly.