News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Discussion on Spring Rally June 18- 21, 2020

Started by greatbuffalo, September 24, 2019, 10:21:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fletch

I agree with Dan. Let's see how things go and make the decision just before people need to cancel reservations.  And hope for The best!
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

DA-SANDNAPPER

Hello fellow dual sport riders, any idea if the June ride is going to happen?  I sure hope so, last year was an outstanding time.

Rob

Wacked

Baha -

Kinda scared to check it out because every other plan I've had this Spring has gone to crap!

BUT

I'll give Wild Bills a call tomorrow and see what their Open/Closed status will be in mid-June.  If they are open, I don't see why not.  If they are closed, there will likely be some hard discussion about the early Rally.

Wacked

Abercrombie

Quote from: Wacked on May 11, 2020, 09:18:47 PM

Baha -

Kinda scared to check it out because every other plan I've had this Spring has gone to crap!

BUT

I'll give Wild Bills a call tomorrow and see what their Open/Closed status will be in mid-June.  If they are open, I don't see why not.  If they are closed, there will likely be some hard discussion about the early Rally.

Wacked

I booked a cabin today and plan to be there.  F the Covid19!  It isn't going to be easy because I have a FJR rally in Red Lodge the following weekend but I deserve it after the 2019 riding disaster.

Wacked

[/IT'S A GO!!!size]

Wild Bill's plans to be open as of Memorial Day....

That means of all of you brave enough to attend, DDSR June 6/18-21 should be able to happen.

Being a little more than a month out, it's time to get your camping reservations

As a reminder, Wild Bill's # is 605/578-2800

It's time to turn off those Walter Mitty riding videos, get off the couch, get out of the house, and RIDE!!!

Abercrombie

Quote from: Wacked on May 12, 2020, 03:43:50 PM

[/IT'S A GO!!!size]

Wild Bill's plans to be open as of Memorial Day....

That means of all of you brave enough to attend, DDSR June 6/18-21 should be able to happen.

Being a little more than a month out, it's time to get your camping reservations

As a reminder, Wild Bill's # is 605/578-2800

It's time to turn off those Walter Mitty riding videos, get off the couch, get out of the house, and RIDE!!!

Where's the like button!
;D :)

ross/xt350

Awesome! Just called to see if I had to reserve a tent spot just to make sure. The guy said they have plenty of tent space and to just show up. I am more than ready to ride finally after a long winter. See you esteemed gentlemen there!
2000 xt350
2013 tw200
2018 bashan brozz 250 blue eagle deluxe #1 hotdog cowboy rocketship

Wacked

We are 3 weeks away from Spring Rally!!!  Over this Memorial Day weekend, several of us were out in the Hills playing and scouting;  the trails were in great shape. 

Some general thoughts on this upcoming Rally -

1) If you are planning on coming, get your reservation into Wild Bills - see previous posts for their #

2) Avenza.  You really should download this app. to your phone.  After the app download, you should download the Mystic MVUM, Hell Canyon MVUM, and Northern Hills MVUM.  Its free.  It will help the locals tell you where the good trails are; it might help you get out of the woods and save you from a free night of camping under a pine tree.

3) The Covid Thing - we've been at this now for 3 months and each of us has formed an opinion on how we should or should not interface with others.  I work with the public daily; I've been to several states around me and know that people are at each end of the spectrum.  I've categorized people into 3 groups -

a) People on the Left who are damn serious about bumping into or spreading ANY germs.  We will not see them at the Rally but certainly welcome them back in 2021

b) People in the Center who do some reasonable but basic stuff to keep Covid Cooties away from them and hopefully away from others

c) People hard Right on the spectrum who are convinced this is all pure unadulterated BS. 

If your thought processes are hard Right, please respect distances of those who are a little more concerned about this nasty-Ass bug.  I really don't know what the right approach is; but then again it's not likely we are going to change each others minds on how legit this virus is or the best way to limit spread.

Because of the Corona cross-contamination stuff, we've decided NOT to have a group Chili feed/Pulled-Pork on Friday and Saturday night.  Sorry.  I will miss it for sure. 

4) Single-Track.  There's a contingent who want to beat their bodies and bikes so they can come back to camp with a sense of accomplishment.  We have somebody who wants to show them the trails where this can happen.

5) Double-Track.  Couple of groups will be going out 2-Tracking.  One in particular wants to explore the Rochford/Pactola Trails. 

6) Gravel and Fun 2-Track.  There will be a Big Bike contingent out there exploring the Hills

7) If you would, sign in and let us know that you are coming

Bring whatever Dual Sport kind of bike you want.  There will likely be a group you can connect with and have a great ride over Fathers Day Weekend

Wacked

greatbuffalo

Thanks Brad, well said.

Sent from my BND-L24 using Tapatalk

Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

Chipper

WE HAVE A CORE GROUP OF 12 TO 15 OF US COMING FROM OMAHA AND SURROUNDING AREA. A FEW OTHER ON FAMILY VACATIONS MAY JOIN US ONE DAY ALSO. 
BELOW IS A MESSAGE WE SENT OUT TO ALL OF THEM. WE DO NOT WANT TO IMPOSE AND WILL TRY TO BE AS SELF-SUFFICIENT AS POSSIBLE.

MY PHONE # 402-320-2587

THE LAST TWO YEARS HAVE BEEN FANTASTIC AND WE WANT TO CONTINUE TO BE RESPECTFUL OF "YOUR" EVENT.

THANKS!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

June South Dakota Ride Update #1:

*Attendance: It looks like we will have up to 20 riders attending the Black Hills ride. We don't want to be a burden to the Dakota Dual Sport Riders group so we need to be as self sufficient as possible. They have been gracious enough to invite us to join them and we want to be invited back in the future. If we show up expecting them to guide our group of 20 riders, we may not be welcome again.

*Group Size: To have an enjoyable ride the MAXIMUM group size is 5-6 riders. For us to be self sufficient we need to have at least 4 ride leaders that can read maps and GPS. Right now, we are planning on ride leaders of.....Rob Wemhoff, Burt Peterson, Terry Thompson, and another volunteer. We will supply some tracks to ride, and you can make your own up if so desired. If your interested in being a ride leader please let Chip or Rob know.

*Ride Leaders: Our ride leaders are not from the hills, there will be dead ends, wrong turns, we are totally lost moments, this is all part of the fun, just be prepared for there to be some mayhem.

*Weather: Attached are some photos and video of what the weather can be like in the hills. Be prepared for cold temperatures, rain, mud, rocks.

*Motorcycles: We all break down, and I don't even want to say this in case I jinx myself....but you're bike needs to be ready for this ride. You need good tires, you need to have what you need to fix a tire, you need the correct riding gear, you need to carry tools to fix your bike if needed on the trail, you need water, you need to know the range of your bike. All of these things can and will go wrong, we will all band together to help another rider, but don't be "that guy" that is unprepared.

*Food: Due to Covid-19 there will not be group dinners like in the past. Food is on you.

*It's Your Vacation: You don't have to do the group rides, your more than welcome to, but ride where you want, when you want, with who you want.

Wacked

Chipper -

Always great to have the Omaha contingent come to this event!

Wacked

Wacked

Reminder to Noobs and Out-of-Staters

The National Forested requires Trail Permits on most of the stuff you want to ride.  Get one sent to you now.

They do have bike patrols random stops in out of the way places.  The fines do hurt if you are not stickered.

Wacked

Kevin

I have schedule conflicts and unfortunately will not make it this time...  Sucks  :'(
Look ahead and you'll shred...

Fletch

I will be happy to lead some single track rides if anyone is interested.
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

Chipper

Fletch thanks for the offer.

Wacked great permit info.

Anyone have a list or map of all the possible gas stations in the Black Hills and over to Cement Ridge in Wy?