News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Discussion on Spring Rally June 18- 21, 2020

Started by greatbuffalo, September 24, 2019, 10:21:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lonesome Dave

Mike, you going to be there on both Friday and Saturday?  Many macho men are hoping you will be! 

I'm glad you volunteered, Brad and I were just talking about you last night. 

Clay, are you going to be out here also?
Older - Wiser - Faster !

Fletch

I'm planning on Friday and Saturday, have to check at work for sure.  Ron, Brad, and I did a little scouting tonight. We have something for everyone.   ;) ;D
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

Wacked

Random Thoughts on Riding the Hills ......

A) Weather here is bi-Polar.  More often then not, on any given day, you will be riding through a range of temperatures.  The "variety" in weather also includes rain.  Prepare for the same; cotton is not your friend - think layers.  Riders will often adjust plans based on where a storm or cloud cell is tracking

B) Although it's not 100% true, a lot of riders think in terms of Zones or Areas when riding the Hills.  Natural barriers, roads, maybe lack of trails in some spots make it so that the Black Hills are not one Contiguous riding area.  What that means is that local riders often slab-it to a certain area or sometimes trailer a dirt bike to an area they want to ride.  It's pretty hard to go a full day without a bit of road to connect up into another sweet zone. 

C) Cell service.  I would guess 1/2 - 2/3 of the trails do not have cell coverage.  Don't bank on reaching out to Mama and have her bring you the spare tube you left in the truck box

.....  I do have more random thoughts, but my kid just called me about a key she forgot .....   more to come

Wacked

greatbuffalo

If you have a big bike, I am planning a gravel route with a bit of mild technical road. Not sure what day. A group of 5 or 6 would be good.

Also planning a day of medium bike on two track and gravel. A bit technical on a mid sized bike, not so technical on a small DS bike.

My big bike rides on gravel will be scenic. Not a lot of thought goes into them, just a general direction and see where it leads.

Sent from my BND-L24 using Tapatalk

Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

Wacked

Lonesome and I scouted some 2-track stuff today ...   

Found a sweet route/trail that neither of us had been on before (I wouldn't go up their alone w/Dave again  :-\ ....... you'll have to ask him why)   Also found a couple of segments that have been closed by the N.F..  Luckily, I don't think there is as many closures this year as last year.

Should be some good riding in 2.5 weeks!

Lonesome Dave

That's not fair.  Brad leads us to the top of a steep mountain hoping for a great view, nothing but more trees.  After I fall over and pickup the DR pig, I'm out of breath, I look at the map, "Rimmer Ridge!"  I was the one that was worried.   8)

Edit:  Elisa doesn't like this either.  Brad drags me along on another "Man Date" and we end up at Brokeback Mountain!  Those are her words.
Older - Wiser - Faster !

Fletch

That's just creepy Dave..... :-X

I will be riding single track both friday and saturday. Not sure if others are leading single track groups as well or not? If others want to take a group we can figure out who wants to ride what. If not my plan is to meet at the sugar shack and ride the easier stuff friday, then kick it up a notch saturday. Or, whatever people want to do?   

p.s. I'm not sadistic(as some would have you believe), and there will be plenty of points both days where people can bail out when they've had enough both days. so, it's not like you are committed to the entire day. and, it'll be loads of fun!  ;) ;D
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

NDave

What sites are you folks in    61 for us.  Pancakes  $3.00 is mentioned on website is this all summer or just during rally.  How full a menu is available in bar?  I plan on buying permit at gas/store down road.   I will be looking for my typical 2track group    After all these years I should be of more use as a leader but CRS (can't remember shit) is kicking my butt
Anybody know if deadwood has a prime rib  or chicken fried steak special any where?

Wacked

Dave -

Just talked to Wild Bills ........

Yes, the restaurant is still open for lunch and supper as advertised on the web-site.  The Dude thought his bar food - burgers and handmade pizzas - were pretty good stuff.  I don't know, never eaten there.

Pancakes are only available during the "Sturgis Rally".  I asked about the restaurant down at the Steel Wheel but apparently that is closed  up for good.

Prime Rib in Deadwood - no idea.

Wacked

Wacked

Sat down last night and mapped out 2 routes I'm thinking about -

Friday - Two Track oriented route.  Should be good for bikes 650 on down.  The track will lead south towards Mystic and then West towards Flag Mtn and beyond.  8-10 riders should be the limit

Saturday - I wanna try something new.  This is a "1.5" oriented track.  Yep, just made it up.  It will start south outta Sugar Shack towards Hill City then East into Victoria Lake.  Suitable for bikes 450 on down.  It will weave thru some easier single tracks, bitchier 2-tracks, and your run of the mill 2 tracks.   Won't be hard-core single tracking all day but there will be places that your bike could go down or gets stuck between tress  ;D.   7-8 riders should be the limit

I've been through most of this country at one time or the other but wont have time to pre-run all of it. 

Wacked

IYAAYAS

Brad, Saturday sounds like my kind of riding. I'd like to jump in on this group if you have space.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Wacked

sprout

Can I come with you Brad? I will try to be on my BEST behavior!! ;)

Wacked

Sure! ....

I'm thinking this means you've been released from "domestic" chores for the weekend to come out and ride?

Wacked

sprout

Good deal! I will bring the tw200 so I won"t have to wait so long for ya! ;)