Health issues fellow riders should know about

Started by The Yeti, May 04, 2009, 11:09:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Yeti

Quote from: iceycold on May 03, 2009, 01:04:39 PM
Self intro,
After 2 years of symptomatic AFB and 2 ablations

Is that Atrial Fibrilation? I went through a cardiac ablation last year to (theoretically) cure an atrial tachycardia I'd been living with for about 20 years....it kinda worked, I'm certainly not "cured".  Then, I had an episode of A-Fib about 6 months ago....man, was that a scary time!  They had to eventually give me the paddles to convert me back to sinus.

Quote from: iceycold on May 03, 2009, 01:04:39 PM
Sadly that puts me very near the Black Hills with 2 bikes and a lot of time...  ;D   all ways up for a ride.

Yeah, it's a tough time living out here....I just try to muddle through the best I can.  ;D  (Was out riding all last weekend, and had a friggin' blast!)
"You want me to ride up THAT?!"

The Yeti

I'm still on Plavix for (mild) atherosclerosis, and Atenolol for the tachycardia. Don't like the bruising from the Plavix. The Atenolol seems to keep the fast heartbeat at bay, for the most part....still have small episodes every now and again, and, yes, even after 20 years, they always make me anxious. I know that the chances of dying from it are slim to none, it's just not a good feeling when your heart is trying to pound itself out of your chest.  :o

This discussion is kind of a good thing....I think it's important for your riding partners to be aware of others medical conditions.

Hank: My condition, PAT (paroxysmal atrial tachycardia), is a malfunction in the electrical pathways in the heart causing a fast heartbeat (200-250bpm+) without notice....a very scary feeling. First time it happened to me, thought I was having a heart attack at 24 years old.  :o  Been on meds for 20 years to try to reduce the frequency, and they did help, but ended up getting an ablation last year in hopes of a cure. The alblation helped, but was not a complete cure. During an ablation, they go in arthroscopiclly and map the electrical pathways in your heart, then they "ablate" (usually by burning with radio waves or freezing) the offending pathways.

The episode of Atrial Fibrilation I had this year was the first, and was most likely caused by over-indulging in way too much red wine in one night (2+ bottles)....I don't do that anymore.  ;)  A-Fib can be considerably more dangerous than tachycardia.

Caseyjones

If nothing else its a good idea to know whos on the blood thinners just in the unfortunate event of a spill.  Nothing like a little stroke prevention huh?  I have heard of great success with ablation of the SA node.  A heads up on potential health problems would be a big plus and make it easier for us to help each other should anything go wrong.  This brings to mind a first aid kit for the bike.

The Yeti

I carry a basic first aid kit in my tankbag.

The blood thinners I'm on don't cause excessive bleeding (or so my doc sez), just make me bruise pretty easy....nothing like cumadin, though.

iceycold

This or at least part of it might be better under trip planning or something.  The only way I was able to get the courage to go 7500 miles last year was that I left home base with people (5 or us left Florida) that I knew and they knew me. I made sure that it was know that I was on blood thinners at the time we left. I actually had to stop at Ft. Mead VA and get my level checked during the trip. The important thing was others knew at the time what was up (that I had just had ablation surgery) and that I had a brief copy of my  medical records and where they were in my gear. And that at least 2 guys knew where my meds were.  So I felt comfortable in the thought that if some damn suicidal terrorist deer decided to jump in front of me or something to that effect I would a) not be alone and b) information about me in case of loss of consciousness I would covered.  And one of the guys had take a very advanced first aid course. I also have my cell phone set to fist in my phone book as "AA emergency WIFE" important part being AA emergency .. contact. Hope for the best plan for the worst, you know bring the damn tire repair kit. Thank God that the blood thinners are over and I am on much less medication now. I am 80% sure that a doctor would like to know about Plavix if he had to mend a hip or something, but 100% sure about cumadin. Heck they now want you to stop aspirin for 3 days before some dental work.. geeze meds can be a mess. Most can be dealt with if they know though.
Just spotted a suzuki DL going down Colorado Blvd at about 6:30, Blue with hard boxes. And aerostich suit.
DL1000- 07 >gone but not forgotten<
R12RT- 08
DR 650- 09
for God sake do it before 2012

loingrader

Quote from: The Yeti link=topic=269.msg1970#msg1970 date=1242224270}

The blood thinners I'm on don't cause excessive bleeding (or so my doc sez)
/quote]

i beg to disagree here a bit.  some people can get cuts to clot, but some people on Coumadin (warfarin) can bleed quite a bit before the clotting starts.

i've got my doctorate in pharmacy, and work in a clinic/hosptial pharmacy setting.  this is right up my alley!
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

The Yeti

Oh yeah, Brett, forgot you were "in the biz". Just to be clear; I'm on Plavix, not Coumadin....should I worry about getting a gash when I'm out solo?  Doc sez I'll be fine short of hitting an artery.

Caseyjones

Coumadin is worse for that, Im not to sure about Plavix, I dont take either but I administer plenty of both. Someone who takes them most likely has first hand knowledge that exceeds my experience with either. I know GI bleeds and other bleed risks can be significant with coumadin.  If folks with health concerns carry a wallet card then we know how to get the information to help if need be, and nobody really has to disclose health information should they prefer to keep it confidential.  This is handy for diabetics to. It would also be great to know if we are riding with anyone carrying an epi-pen for anaphylactic reactions.  Can we set up someones ride with a crash cart sidecar?  :chug

The Yeti

I've got one of these stuck to the side of my helmet with all pertinent health info and emergency contact:

loingrader

Quote from: The Yeti on May 14, 2009, 06:00:09 PM
Oh yeah, Brett, forgot you were "in the biz". Just to be clear; I'm on Plavix, not Coumadin....should I worry about getting a gash when I'm out solo?  Doc sez I'll be fine short of hitting an artery.

plavix.  no problems.  it makes your platelets slippery (like a daily aspirin does) but does not thin your blood. 
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

fringefan

Sometimes I get an erection that last for more than 4 hours. ;D

Okay,  maybe not but it made me laugh.

Caseyjones

Like diabetics use insulin, you must carry a photo of Oprah. Its really hard for one to balance a bike if one has no blood to soak ones brain in. So something that will act fast!!

haha

fringefan