News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Added another to the garage

Started by locopny, December 15, 2019, 01:06:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

locopny

I guess it's time I introduce my new AT to the group.  2017 AT with DCT.
Bought from a member of the Omaha riding crew.

Just drove to Sioux Falls yesterday afternoon to meet and pick it up. Awfully chilly to ride but had to take for a short spin around the parking lot at flying j.

Thanks to Sprout for some wise words to be patient.

Now....who knows someone that wants to buy a gooseneck trailer?
87 XL600R 89 CBR600R
'17 CRF1000L
When can I go riding again? Crashing sucks!

locopny

Next are some bark busters and looking at some tires.
Dana would like something for a backrest/trunk with a seat back.

87 XL600R 89 CBR600R
'17 CRF1000L

jacin theis

When I get back and replace mine, I am thinking the Africa Twin. I have been in love with them since the announcement from Honda. And then the Dr. let me ride his around the fish and fry.... I think that's the bike!  Sorry you have to wait for weather. Its going to be a long winter for you.
Whos in for a big trip? Alsaka? Moab (again)? Baja?
1100 GS

locopny

.... I think that's the bike
I think its likely a similar bike.  This has just a mere 1550 miles on  it...and came from Storm Lake Honda

Sorry you have to wait for weather. Its going to be a long winter for you.
Dont underestimate my level of making bad decisions.  One of the reasons it is still in the back of the truck for night #2 is I'm fairly certain I might want to ride it around since its warming up some here.
87 XL600R 89 CBR600R
'17 CRF1000L

jacin theis

Sorry, didn't mean that was specifically the same bike, just the correct model for me! Jelous of your bike and your bad winter decisions.. 8)
Whos in for a big trip? Alsaka? Moab (again)? Baja?
1100 GS

Kevin

Can hardly wait to hear a ride report...  Nice bike...
Look ahead and you'll shred...

locopny

It's all good.

This bike is a bit too heavy at 530ish lbs to remove from this truck myself.  Not when snowstick to my boots increasing traction exponentially.  Didn't get to take the trailer to get it as the connector was messed up.

Biggest bike I've owned to date...but handles seemingly better than my XL600 as far as weigh distribution being low in the bike.
Still need to get used to the girth...even without the planned panniers.
Seat is in the highest position and feels like it would be better just a touch lower.
Not sure I'll need bar rises yet...i know my XL does need them.

As far as tires go... I see lots of threads on them but no one says anything about kenda k270s like I have on the XL. I'm sure to have all winter and much of spring to decide.
87 XL600R 89 CBR600R
'17 CRF1000L

locopny

Finally out of the truck and in next to it mates.  Bike got too cold to start outdoors for 2 nights.
87 XL600R 89 CBR600R
'17 CRF1000L

Fletch

stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

locopny

87 XL600R 89 CBR600R
'17 CRF1000L

Fletch

Doh, I could have looked at your signature  :-[  Nice!
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

locopny

That CBR might find itself on the sale boards in the Spring if I find I don't ride it much...although I hate to break up the set.  The 3 most desired Hondas I have wanted (or wanted back).

Did the biggest accessory to date today.  Finally got a great place to put that good looking sticker.  Should make me a better rider....maybe better looking?
Made some calls on other parts.
A set of Honda side luggage, and some barkbusters  Both previously used. Also continued looking at tires. There is a lot of opinions on what to run.  Still no mention on K270s....must be a reason aside from they are an inexpensive tire.
87 XL600R 89 CBR600R
'17 CRF1000L

locopny

Well I took it out for a short ride yesterday.  Most of the ice that had plagued the secondary streets has been dealt with.   I had to restrain myself from messing around in the snow as I didnt want it to be all dirty going away later. 
I was more impressed with the factory tires having adequate grip on the iced/snow areas that I had to cross. Much more than I thought I'd be. My CBR tires dont' do that well and they aren't that different in design.
The "wind" screen seems to be tall enough for me and the pivot area wind block worked as designed it seemed.
The DCT is a little different getting used to not grabbing for the clutch.  Sport mode is snappy.  Drive mode seems like the Goldwings rain mode...which is good when there is less ideal traction.  I don't know what the "G" button does on the upper fairing. I dont have the owners manual yet.  Its in the mail.  Lots to learn and experience with ABS and Traction Control. Love how this bike feels light weight up high.  Makes pretty tight turns with little effort. 

Early ownership rating is pretty high...8.5 or 9 out of 10. 
Biggest gripe so far is where the battery is located with its ease? of access.  And the less than adventurous tread design from factory. Easy enough to change that.
Not a gripe, but more of getting used to the amount of buttons on the bar ends. I'm sure it will get easier or familiar the longer I own it.

More thoughts as I get into this going forward.
87 XL600R 89 CBR600R
'17 CRF1000L

sprout

Merry New Year!! ;)
Kenda 270's....what can I say? If you ride the AT like an adult and don't burn the rear off of it they will last 8000K niles. I have ran them on both the F800 and AT with great luck! $105 from rmatv, a bargain! You should run at least #32 in the front to keep it from cupping.

There is also 3 pink air box drains hoses under the radiator shrouds on that thing that will need to be drained every 4K miles. If you don't, will fill the airbox with oil and ruin your air filters >:(

Sprout

Hank

Quote from: sprout on January 03, 2020, 07:44:13 AM
Merry New Year!! ;)
Kenda 270's....what can I say? If you ride the AT like an adult and don't burn the rear off of it they will last 8000K niles. I have ran them on both the F800 and AT with great luck! $105 from rmatv, a bargain! You should run at least #32 in the front to keep it from cupping.

There is also 3 pink air box drains hoses under the radiator shrouds on that thing that will need to be drained every 4K miles. If you don't, will fill the airbox with oil and ruin your air filters >:(

Sprout

What do you know about riding like an adult?