News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Added another to the garage

Started by locopny, December 15, 2019, 01:06:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sprout

I wanted to say like a "white man", guess tha"s what I should have went with!!  :evil

Don't know what you mean by that Hank?? If you come to chadwick this spring, I will take you back to DRZ school :-*

locopny

Quote from: sprout on January 03, 2020, 07:44:13 AM
Merry New Year!! ;)
Kenda 270's....what can I say? If you ride the AT like an adult and don't burn the rear off of it they will last 8000K niles. I have ran them on both the F800 and AT with great luck! $105 from rmatv, a bargain! You should run at least #32 in the front to keep it from cupping.

There is also 3 pink air box drains hoses under the radiator shrouds on that thing that will need to be drained every 4K miles. If you don't, will fill the airbox with oil and ruin your air filters >:(

Sprout

Adult riding....hmmmm.  for the first bit.  Then I'm certain to do more with it.  If they last around 3-4K  I'm ok with it.
I don't anticipate being as bold as you seem to be with yours in the near future....but I can have goals.  Practice and confidence in improving riding abilities will usher that. 

Good info on the drains.  will keep an eye on them.

Merry New Year...
87 XL600R 89 CBR600R
'17 CRF1000L
When can I go riding again? Crashing sucks!

locopny

Quote from: sprout on January 03, 2020, 07:44:13 AM
Merry New Year!! ;)
Kenda 270's....what can I say? If you ride the AT like an adult and don't burn the rear off of it they will last 8000K niles. I have ran them on both the F800 and AT with great luck! $105 from rmatv, a bargain! You should run at least #32 in the front to keep it from cupping.

Sprout

Did you use the 5.10 18 for the rear?    That is a BARGAIN....
87 XL600R 89 CBR600R
'17 CRF1000L

sprout

locopny

Well got a warmer day with minimal ice, so I took it out for a ride. Got around 10 miles in.
Learned a few good lessons...
Heated gloves would make a great next investment.  Really wasn't bad otherwise...maybe bark busters with storm guards would have helped also.
Next...I know I can pick this beast up myself. Found some low traction ice...would have made for a super cool looking turn around if I could have held it up.  Heed bars and the rear passenger pegs held the bike off the ground well as the snow helped cushion the drop.  No worse for wear.
Pretty sure these factory tires are not going to be good enough for much more than highway and some gravel? maybe. Sorta knew this but those big blocked tires just didn't have the edges to grab the ice ridges.  Maybe they will surprise me with dirt performance when dirt is exposed eventually.
87 XL600R 89 CBR600R
'17 CRF1000L

Abercrombie

Quote from: locopny on February 16, 2020, 03:17:07 PM
Well got a warmer day with minimal ice, so I took it out for a ride. Got around 10 miles in.
Learned a few good lessons...
Heated gloves would make a great next investment.  Really wasn't bad otherwise...maybe bark busters with storm guards would have helped also.
Next...I know I can pick this beast up myself. Found some low traction ice...would have made for a super cool looking turn around if I could have held it up.  Heed bars and the rear passenger pegs held the bike off the ground well as the snow helped cushion the drop.  No worse for wear.
Pretty sure these factory tires are not going to be good enough for much more than highway and some gravel? maybe. Sorta knew this but those big blocked tires just didn't have the edges to grab the ice ridges.  Maybe they will surprise me with dirt performance when dirt is exposed eventually.

Haha, I did the same thing with my first new Tenere.  I came into a little money when I flipped a house next door so I bought a new Tenere in December.  In February some friends and I were going to haul bikes down to Texas to ride the Hill Country so I thought I would bring the New zero mileage Tenere.  We were loading at a friends place but I had 200' of compacted snow and ice to get to the dry black top.  Everything was going good until I seen my Harley riding neighbor watching my so I got brave and stopped power walking the bike and started riding.  I got off the crown of the road and down I went with about .2 miles on the odometer. 

Two years later I totaled that Tenere on a deer and bought another.  The first time I took the second one out of the garage I dropped an item I was going to give to my friend as he was driving his bike up.  I reached down to pick it up without getting off, lost my balance and dropped that Tenere first time out of the garage also. 

locopny

Yeah shoulda power walked it.  Don't underestimate my ability to make bad decisions...but I was a tad overconfident and rode it almost all the way down. May have saved it if I put my foot down sooner along with hitting the neutral button.  In the end, I was strattling the bike on a knee.   Probably looked great if anyone saw it..
87 XL600R 89 CBR600R
'17 CRF1000L

Wacked

Always feels good to get the first scratches and dents out of the way - makes the riding for the rest of the season more relaxed  :evil !

Fletch

According to local legend there is a guy who dropped his new Adventure before he even started it.   
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

locopny

Legend huh?

Before starting would have to sorta hurt the pride a bit.  Hope the bike was ok.
87 XL600R 89 CBR600R
'17 CRF1000L

Lonesome Dave

Quote from: Fletch on February 17, 2020, 05:10:32 PM
According to local legend there is a guy who dropped his new Adventure before he even started it.

I know that guy!  Always love to here the story again.  Oh yeah, it was the first one sold in Rapid City.  Actually, it's on an old thread here......just cut and paste it.  :evil
Older - Wiser - Faster !

Fletch

had to be embarrassing, that guy should have kept it to himself.

locopny

Well At least it helped me not feel too bad about my error in ability and/or judgement.

Come on good riding conditions..
87 XL600R 89 CBR600R
'17 CRF1000L

Hank

Quote from: Fletch on February 17, 2020, 05:10:32 PM

Is it local legend, or was it a local legend?

Fletch

haha.. perhaps it should be legendary local moron....