News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Moab Fall 2020 ****RESCHEDULED****

Started by greatbuffalo, December 21, 2019, 03:38:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greatbuffalo

7/16/20 Rescheduling this trip. I am looking at 11/2/20 thru 11/11/20. More to come.

Thinking......

I rough plan, as is always the case with me, is to travel to Moab area the 3rd or 4th week of April. The plan is to boondock camp in the BLM areas.

Two areas of interest to me in the BLM land just North of Arches NP and the Whitewash Sand dunes area. Figures spend 2 to 3 days at each spot, or pick one location and ride out from there.

I plan to bring my little toy hauler with my two besties and Nathaniel. I think with some judicious use of the 100 gallon water tank, we should be fairly good for the week or maybe a dump and fill in between spots if we move. 

This will be my first outing boondocking with the RV so I'm sure it will be a learning experience. Any advice on camping spots and plain old sage advice is always welcome.

Putting out the word to any and all who would like to join in the fun. Good riding, good times, good grub and great beer will be the order of this trip.

Please post your thoughts and comments
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

locopny

Intriguing at this point.

Big bike friendly AT? or something smaller like my XL600?

Definite maybe consider at this point.  Might be able to combine this with a work trip to make it so I could do it
87 XL600R 89 CBR600R
'17 CRF1000L
When can I go riding again? Crashing sucks!

Wacked

I'd prefer the 4th week / Small bike.  No issues boondocking. 

......  Ooops, maybe you weren't inviting me

......   but then again, who's gonna ride with Nathanial and the mighty Beta?  :evil

Wacked

greatbuffalo

Yes Brad, your invited  :) And yes, Nathaniel may need a devil on his shoulder.  :evil

Ya know, big bike... little bike... chose your own adventure really. We don't all have to ride as one group. I know in previous visits to Moab I have ridden with the group on a small bike, then out on my own shooting photos on my KLR and one trip was all big bike. I can't say I am looking to hurt myself so the terrain I choose to ride may be tame in comparison to what others want to ride.

Kevin

I might be game, its been many years since I have been to Moab... I have tentative plans to rid the Nevada 200 April 17, 18 & 19, but who knows... 
Look ahead and you'll shred...

greatbuffalo

Would be right on the way back Kevin.

Kevin

greatbuffalo

Just keep your eyes peeled here

greatbuffalo

Been doing some research keeping the enthusiasm of this trip alive. Just downloaded the Avena Moab bundle, about 20 bucks. Gonna come in handy.

Tentative plans: April 26 - May 1.  I plan on leaving the Hills either late Friday, the 24th or very early the 25th. Will be slower going pulling a toyhauler without burning TOO much fuel. May even take a siesta a long the way. Try to arrive Saturday afternoon and and get set up. Finish setting up on Sunday the 26th and do some light riding.

May, depending on the will of the people, ride there a few days and then pull out to White Wash Sand Dunes and ride there a couple days. Then pull out of there late Friday afternoon or early Saturday Morning.

Understand these plans are always subject to change depending on the will of the people.  :)

Been doing some thinking and talking to the guys and figured that Most of what we, Paul, Joel and I, will be more scenic stuff with the odd challenge thrown in. There many opportunities for that and more difficult stuff in a close proximity to camp. We figured that Nathaniel could ride with Brad if he feels like beaten up.  ;D ;D ;D

Just to begin with I think one day will be spent on the White Rim Trail. Nathaniel and I have already done it and I know Brad has too. There is not much more of iconic trail with epic vistas that the White Rim has to offer and Paul and joel, and myself, and will want lots of photos.

Also in the area is the Monitor and Merrimac Loop area, Hidden Canyon, Rim of the Rim road, Copper Ridge, and Long Valley on the East side of Arches. That's just to name a few. Gemini Bridges is just to the south as well as the infamous Metal Masher.  So many choices.
one
There is also a thought of spending a couple days at White Wash Sand Dune area. This place is a blast to ride and hone your sand riding skills. The riding is fun and the scenery is spectacular. Evenings on the bluff as the sun goes down, with a beer in your hand, is magical. Other trails in the area are, Deadcow Wash, Mary's, and No Name Mesa just to name a few. Crystal Geyser Jeep Trail also goes out of here. Crystal Geyser has been one of the things I've wanted to see but never gotten there. There is a Motorcycle trail that run sort of parallel to it but unsure of the bike breaking capability of that trail. It runs straight through the White Sands Missile Range. That could really break a bike.  ;D

Anyway, Just trying to put some ideas out there and to let you all know I have not abandoned this idea.   

locopny

Crystal geyser is a cool place.  Camped there years ago just to see it around 2am.
Thanks for bringing it up to the front again.
87 XL600R 89 CBR600R
'17 CRF1000L
When can I go riding again? Crashing sucks!

Kevin

I will be back through that area returning from the Nevada 200 probably the 20th or 21st.  Looks like I will just miss you all.

sprout

I am going to try to make it.I am unsure if I will be able to keep up with Brad and his "girls" bike. I will try though!! ;)

Fletch

hmm... this is tempting...
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

Wacked

Just reached out to my buddy Dave U. in Wyoming ......      He's in for Moab!   

Geez - that's only 2mos out.

He's 4 weeks post-surgery so he'll be riding the lighter-duty stuff.  He'll be binging his newly kitted-out 701

Wacked

greatbuffalo