Good carb mechanic in the Black Hills area?

Started by Harry Potter, February 09, 2020, 09:09:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry Potter

Carbs are way over my head, I've only seen the insides once. I am looking for an expert to do what's called Dave's Mods on a Honda XR650L and get it set up for higher elevations. Any recommendations?
"The best modification you can make to your bike is a better rider," Jimmy Lewis.

Abercrombie

I had never touched a motorcycle carburetor before when I bought my XR650L.  As reported, I found the XR650L to be jetted very lean and wanted to perform the Dave's mod.  I followed the pictorial instructions to a T and the bike ran great, ran cooler, had more power, and started easier requiring less choke to warm the bike.  It really was easier than I thought it would be as a beginner.

I'm not sure what elevations you are talking about riding in but the Dave's mod and jetting worked great for me in the Black Hills up to 7000 feet.  I was only able to detect the slightest of richness at the highest of Black Hills elevations.  If your riding higher than that, I would guess that if you performed the Dave's mod, the original jets or the one in between original and the 55/158 suggested would work great.

Depending on what year your XR650L is, you may find the fuel mixture screw instructions to be wrong.  Later model bikes do not have the exposed fuel mixture screw and you have to remove a EPA mandated brass tamper resistant plug to adjust the fuel screw properly with the special D shaped bit that fits the Fuel screw. 

https://lookaside.fbsbx.com/file/Daves_Mods.pdf?token=AWxLkq9K2X69YgWy56i-n_-UrWVV-eZTX-sU6Bx7EGB4JXA2A3-be4EAJxUOPgL7kL84H49KdHIdB5cWGXbth-5fKB-EqhMCR6TGghKEHD-bLzc9B2NIVVTJYlFT-8mnfHB6EYPoxnYpIQHlzE5XPtAO

Jets R us is where I bought all my items I needed like jet, washer shims, the D shaped bit, and do your self a favor by using a JIS Philips screw driver to disassemble the float boat and needle valve cover and replace them with the stainless steel Allen head screws they sell.

https://jetsrus.com/a_jet_kit_dirt/honda_650_XR650L_1992-2009.htm

Harry Potter

Thanks very much, that's extremely helpful. I'll have to do more studying, at least I know I don't need a rocket scientist to get the job done. There's more of a chance that I could ride the bike to the Big Horns or Red Lodge than I would ever take it to sea level. So maybe jets as you say between stock and Dave's Mods. Thanks,👍
"The best modification you can make to your bike is a better rider," Jimmy Lewis.

tannerc

The L carb should be pretty simple. Watch youtube videos. Pretty good info on youtube and thumper talk.
Take it on as a learning experience and tools that will help you solve issues while on the trail/ride.
Not paying someone is just a bonus.
I paid for a carb kit once when I didnt have the place to work on a bike while in college, I ended up have to dig in just as much later to get it tuned right anyway.
I picked up another bike this last year which a shop installed a Mikuni pumper on. All they did was follow the directions in the kit and give it back to the guy I bought it from. It is a long ways from tuned correctly.
"Retreat, hell! We're not retreating, we're just advancing in a different direction."